Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
MDaines Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My method was to take only those meanings from the
> earliest epoch (as listed on ePSD) and add a few
> of my own discoveries. Dipping into a great
> variety of meanings/synonyms and more than one
> phonetic value for each symbol would have
> perpetuated the confusion that I was trying to
> eliminate. It generally works out to maybe two or
> three loosely or closely related meanings per
> symbol. But you appear to have taken the subject
> of an original language to another deeper level. I
> look forward to knowing more. Very intriguing.
> As for your second point, I entirely agree.
> Madeleine

First off I have to hand it to you for tackling Sumerian and for making some sense of it. I have no way to know you're wrong and I'm simply assuming there was only a single language with many dialects. I tried to work with Sumerian as well and made almost no progress at all. There simply was no single corpus with which to work and I still lack the means to determine the ancient from the less ancient.

But the Pyramid Texts are a piece of cake in comparison. I simply started trying to solve each word in context. Words express their meaning by how they are used in a sentence and if you have enough writing then words can be identified by this means. I was very lucky in that it turned out that each word had a single meaning. It was the words used for natural processes that really gave away the meaning. These words are mistranslated as "god" but each "god" is actually a word type used to identify the subject of a sentence. I call these "scientific" words as opposed to the "colloquial", and "vulgar" terms just as a handy method to communicate the concept to other modern language speakers. "Shu", for instance, was really "the phenomenon of upward" which is most closely "translated" as "inertia". Ancient Language can't really be translated because our words are symbolic and theirs were representative. We state our meaning but theirs was implied. We tell people what we're thinking, they invited people to a tour of their thoughts. They simply didn't think like we do and their language is untranslatable. It can be understood or interpreted but not translated.

I believe it was Enlil who was the water source but I gave up right after this and never well confirmed it.

I presume most of the symbols to which you refer are logograms? Do you think it's possible that the logograms evolved after the language changed and they picked up additional meanings? There seems some precedent for this in Egyptian if I'm correct though most words have to be spelled out with a few symbols.

Man fears the pyramid, time fears man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06-Aug-17 18:57 by cladking.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Welcome to Madeleine Daines author of the month for August 2017 2364 Graham Hancock 03-Aug-17 10:57
Re: Welcome to Madeleine Daines author of the month for August 2017 464 cladking 06-Aug-17 14:43
Re: Welcome to Madeleine Daines author of the month for August 2017 448 MDaines 06-Aug-17 17:35
Re: Welcome to Madeleine Daines author of the month for August 2017 503 cladking 06-Aug-17 18:55
The KABAL 636 MDaines 08-Aug-17 08:13
Re: The KABAL 430 cladking 10-Aug-17 14:55
Re: Welcome to Madeleine Daines author of the month for August 2017 547 eyeofhorus33 08-Aug-17 08:37
Re: Welcome to Madeleine Daines author of the month for August 2017 536 cladking 10-Aug-17 15:10
Re: Welcome to Madeleine Daines author of the month for August 2017 731 Bruce Cornet 26-Sep-17 23:20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.