Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Many people would say that altruism was at its peak in England during the Blitz. People with next to nothing would share with their friends and total strangers, even though rationing was in force and you never knew where your next meal was coming from.
I think this stems from the concept that people are, when given the chance, generally kind in nature; they don't want to see others suffer.
It also comes down to pride; many people will not accept charity, however in adverse situations they know eventually they will need it but they want to make sure they have been charitable first. (Or is this just a cynical outlook?) Perhaps a belief in what goes around comes around.
My grandmother lived through the Blitz and often told how she went without to make sure her kids and husband had food. She was generous to a fault her entire life; I often wondered if her early life experience created a kind of martyr complex, or was she just increadably kind?
Is altruism a selfish way to make oneself feel good? (cynicism again?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14-Sep-16 18:16 by Bewildered.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Welcome to Alex Seymour Psychedelic Marine Author of the Month 1531 Graham Hancock 10-Sep-16 09:23
Re: Welcome to Alex Seymour Psychedelic Marine Author of the Month 292 Alex Seymour 11-Sep-16 11:04
Re: Welcome to Alex Seymour Psychedelic Marine Author of the Month 603 Bewildered 14-Sep-16 18:08

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.