Gunpowder, Treason & Plot :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
This is the board for you if you wish to discuss or explore conspiracies of any kind, historical or current. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Robert Bauval wrote on the http://members5.boardhost.com/Talismanthebook/msg/90.html]Talisman[/url] website that:

Poor Dan Brown must feel like a blue whale with all those pilot fish having a free ride... The same happened, of course, after Hancock's Fingerprints of the Gods with new 'theories' on 'Atlantis' and the 'lost civilisation'. As a bestselling author you have to get used to this, much like a blue whale must get used to the pilot fish...

I agree and disagree with Robert. I think Simon Cox's "Cracking the Davinci Code" is a great A-Z guide for beginners and laypeople who don't know much about the subjects. It's getting people interested, which is good.

As for "Fingerprints of the Gods", well Graham's success enabled the success of other writers such as Rand Flem-Ath, whom I wish the absolute best. He wrote his landmark Atlantis in Antarctica book before Graham wrote Fingerprints, but the runaway success of Graham's work (much like Dan Brown's Davinci Code), opened doors for authors like Flem-Ath, doors that would otherwise have remained firmly closed, with very large bouncers outside just to make sure.

However, I do agree with Robert that there are other, more insidious authors (mostly publishers!) getting a free ride (and $$$) out of other people's hard work. I detest this aspect of publishing, especially when it comes to books like Fingerprints -- when something good is published, publishers cash in and print a lot of rubbish for fast bucks. The rubbish that is printed sticks to the successful book like mud and through nothing more than similar topic matter unfairly drags it down to their level, despite completely different qualities of content.

As for Dan Brown's The Davinci Code ... good luck to him, but geez is it te most overhyped book I've ever read. I couldn't finish it, the book was so predictable and boring. Ah well, if it ges people interested in history ...

Cheers,

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Cracking, Breaking, Decoding, The Truth Behind, Exposing, The Secret.. 1221 Rick M G 06-Jun-04 04:57
Re: Cracking, Breaking, Decoding, The Truth Behind, Exposing, The Secret.. 435 Robert Bauval 06-Jun-04 13:10
Old-fashioned is new again 422 Rick M G 08-Jun-04 13:06
Please don't mention the worst typo ever --> 445 Rick M G 08-Jun-04 14:17
Inspiration... 354 Anne-Marie 09-Jun-04 13:17
Re: Inspiration... 363 Ahatmose 10-Jun-04 02:37
This may be of help 557 Robert Bauval 10-Jun-04 06:06
Thanks Robert 796 Rick M G 11-Jun-04 13:23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.