Inner Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions on all matters relating to personal development, religion, philosophy, psychology and so on. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi

You wrote:

"In "Prayer Magic and the Stars in the Ancient and Late Antique World" by Scott Noegel, Joel Walker and Brannon Wheeler (a good read so far - almost half way through) there's an idea raised of "the wrong god" being in power, when a country has been invaded. If the ruler has been deposed, and often the ruler is connected to the local divinity, or is allegedly divine himself/herself, then the god/s might also be seen to have been usurped in the heavens by those of the new ruler.
I've given this some thought, and I suppose it might also stand to reason that should the god be reinstated it would be a return, almost a re-birth, and perhaps any living man/legendary man who was responsible for defending his country (and therefore their god) or overthrowing the enemy, would be seen as a crucial link in this chain. To add the element that this figure could return from the dead in times of need seems an inspiring extension to this idea, do you think? "

Yes, I see that as a plausible premise: that the Return of the "King" could come in the form of a resurrected or living being/"Warrior". On this, perhaps one could look at Boudicca, or Joan Of Arc- actual figures who lived and played out their roles, (as it doesn't have to be gender-specific, imho). Do such figures return in a time of great need ? And what do we suppose could happen now ? The Fundamentalists claim the Second Coming; I know not of what other peoples and cultures hold individually for their own "Saviour/Warriors" , but I would assume they are there ..all as part of that contigiuos Thread.

I read a lovely novel by Roderick MacLeish, a while back, called Prince Ombra, all about the age-old struggle between the Prince of darkness , Ombra, and the current "Warrior With The Borrowed Heart" - Gilgamesh, Hector, Arthur, etc. Here's a snippet from a review:

=====================================

"Bentley Ellicott is a hero of the borrowed heart.

Throughout human history, the essence of evil, Prince Ombra, has periodically embodied itself on Earth. And it has always been met in battle by a warrior who has been aware of his mission from birth. The great heroes of legend--King Arthur, Hector of Troy, Gilgamesh--all shared the same warrior heart. If they were defeated by Prince Ombra, the world was plunged into a period of darkness and strife.

Bentley is the latest in this line of heroes. He's also a nine-year-old boy with a withered leg, living in a contemporary village in coastal Maine. "

=====================================

Regards

Guy

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Jesus and his parallel, King Arthur 11384 Nebankh 27-Apr-04 13:54
The significance of twelve 684 Kees 01-May-04 10:59
Re: The significance of twelve 486 Nebankh 06-May-04 10:13
The Light in the Storm 459 Thirdwave 06-May-04 13:26
Re: The Light in the Storm 380 Nebankh 06-May-04 15:20
The Once And Future King ? 436 Thirdwave 06-May-04 16:54
Re: The Once And Future King ? 393 Nebankh 06-May-04 17:23
Re: The Once And Future King ? 353 Maria KA 06-May-04 19:06
Re: The Once And Future King ? 339 Nebankh 06-May-04 19:13
Re: The Once And Future King ? 333 Maria KA 06-May-04 19:31
Re: The Once And Future King ? 352 Mark Staab 06-May-04 21:19
Re: The Once And Future King ? 359 Maria KA 06-May-04 23:31
Re: The Once And Future King ? 340 Mark Staab 07-May-04 00:33
Re: The Male/Active manifest in the female 378 Nebankh 07-May-04 01:39
Re: The Male/Active manifest in the female 377 Mark Staab 07-May-04 02:05
Re: The Once And Future King ? 362 Maria KA 07-May-04 04:11
Re: The Once And Future King ? 363 Mark Staab 07-May-04 06:07
Re: The Once And Future King ? 633 Maria KA 07-May-04 07:46
Re: The Once And Future King ? 351 Milo 06-May-04 19:53
Re: The Once And Future King ? 346 Nebankh 07-May-04 01:08
Re: Jesus and his parallel, King Arthur 532 David L 06-May-04 16:54
Re: Jesus and his parallel, King Arthur 456 Nebankh 06-May-04 17:10
Re: Jesus and his parallel, King Arthur 467 David L 06-May-04 20:00

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.