Inner Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions on all matters relating to personal development, religion, philosophy, psychology and so on. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Dear Kimberly, perhaps, if people could see that beliefs are just specters, and not real, mankind would someday find a way to keep them from having such a stranglehold on his soul. I'm confident that if the schools would train people to stack their beliefs on one side of them, and stack truths on the other side, they'd get a better perspective on life. They'd surely see that the stack of beliefs is astronomically high and that the stack of truths is still at ground level, perhaps no more than a smudge. Of course, all of us, myself more than anyone, are enslaved by beliefs. To weaken these mental demons, we'd need generations, perhaps centuries, to weed them out of the human soul. But I'm confident that a time in history would come when people would come to see the difference between what is sham and what is real.

Usually, when one really knows what appears to be true, he will in no way get angry or defensive when he is challenged. As I've said many times, if I told you that automobiles are non-existent, or that electricity is just one's imagination, you would in no way feel like socking me on the jaw. But if I'd challenge your political or religious beliefs - or Madame Blavatsky, or Castaneda, I might not have to see a dentist any more.

Right now, a lot of people hate President Bush, but I cannot, for I have no way of personally examining the type of intelligence and evidence, that led him to make a decision to declare war on Iraq. Naturally, I lamented that decision, but I'm not a member of the inner circle. So, when I admit my ignorance of these matters, the bees angrily leave the hive and start stinging me.

And now for another riddle. Why would no one get angry or defensive with me if I'd tell them that Saddam Hussein was a sissy? They'd just laugh me out of existence, for regardless of whether the government should've gone to Iraq or not, what Saddam Hussein is as self-evident as electricity, autos, the sun, and the moon.

Therefore, if we're not going to weaken Man's will to idolize belief and guessing over real facts, we'd do well to go fishing or undertake some other pastime helping us to quit fretting over conditions we can't control. I, myself, am always researching the role of Ancient India in antedeluvian times and tracking down religious myths. That's my way of "fishing."

Gene

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
How Not to Torture Your Mind! 725 gene douglas 18-Feb-04 09:50
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 188 Briffits 18-Feb-04 10:29
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 200 gene douglas 18-Feb-04 11:50
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 221 jameske 18-Feb-04 12:47
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 190 gene douglas 18-Feb-04 14:52
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 227 jameske 18-Feb-04 15:13
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 265 Janey 18-Feb-04 15:35
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 221 gene douglas 18-Feb-04 18:11
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 212 cardinal guzman 18-Feb-04 18:44
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 227 gene douglas 18-Feb-04 21:49
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 198 Anne-Marie 18-Feb-04 22:27
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 214 gene douglas 18-Feb-04 23:01
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 205 jestahley3 21-Feb-04 06:15
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 218 gene douglas 21-Feb-04 10:09
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 290 Janey 24-Feb-04 12:46
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 218 gene douglas 24-Feb-04 14:45
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 229 Kboldt 24-Feb-04 16:01
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 201 gene douglas 24-Feb-04 21:28
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 263 Fredspage 25-Feb-04 00:08
Re: How Not to Torture Your Mind! 314 Fredspage 25-Feb-04 00:10
What a nice post... 148 drew 31-Jan-20 00:38

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.