Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
I ask this question in ignorance but sincerely:

Are the pyramids which are known to have been built earlier than the Great Pyramid adorned with decoartive reliefs, like those known to have been built after the GP? If not, then one could argue that decoration was simply a stylistic evolution.

Equally, if earlier pyramids are adorned with decorative reliefs then one must also ask: why are they absent from the GP?

Despite this, I'm not at all convinced by theories claiming that the pyramid was a power generator. Royalty and wealth are often synonymous - the rich and powerful tend to be able to afford to build on a grand scale - and continue to do so. The word 'Pharaoh' derives from the Hebrew interpretation of the Egyptian 'per aa', originally meaning 'great house.'

If it's a power generator, why the granite sarcophagus?

Please don't think I am dismissing alternative theories: I understand that that if you were to flood the subterranean chamber in the Great Pyramid and somehow create a vacuum, water would be pulled up the so-called well-shaft to flood the Queen’s Chamber, Grand Gallery, and - presuming enough water and pressure - flood the entire interior of the Great Pyramid. That is just physics.

My question associated with this is: Why would the Egyptians want to do that? Was the pyramid designed to perform this function, was it ever used to do this, why and for what purpose, and where is the evidence that it was done?

My understanding is that part of what makes a true pyramid, no matter where or what it is built of, or for what purpose, is that its sides can be equally divided from apex to base. That has to do with mathematics and physics, not water containment. Again, maybe these qualities could be used for that purpose, but their presence should not necessarily lead to that conclusion. An arch operates on the same principle—that equal sides leaning against each other can span a space and support the weight above it. This principle allowed the construction of both cathedrals and aqueducts but it does not necessarily follow that cathedrals were built to carry water.

Lastly - and perhaps the most significant challenge to the "water pump" theory is this:

there are red ochre mason’s lines in the pyramid shafts of both the King’s Chamber and Queen’s Chamber and there are hieratic characters painted in the small chamber at the end of the southern shaft in the Queen’s Chamber. These marks could only have been made during the shafts’ construction—they were inaccessible afterwards and were only discovered a few years ago by Project Djedi. Water flowing in these shafts would have washed these painted marks away.

My conclusion: water has never flowed through the pyramid shafts, for the purpose of generating power or for any other reason. The mason's lines are irrefutable proof to support this position.

I'm genuinely interested in the debate, though, and look forward to a response.

"Be yourself - everyone else is already taken!" Oscar Wilde

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Traces of Gold on GP 'Kings Chamber' walls &/or granite Coffer??? 296 Tatenan 2 25-May-12 07:55
Re: Traces of Gold on GP 'Kings Chamber' walls &/or granite Coffer??? 152 cladking 25-May-12 16:19
Re: Traces of Gold on GP 'Kings Chamber' walls &/or granite Coffer??? 167 Chris Jordan 25-May-12 18:18
Re: Traces of Gold on GP 'Kings Chamber' walls &/or granite Coffer??? 140 LanceHall 28-May-12 00:47
Re: Traces of Gold on GP 'Kings Chamber' walls &/or granite Coffer??? 227 eyeofhorus33 29-May-12 22:55
Re: Traces of Gold on GP 'Kings Chamber' walls &/or granite Coffer??? 234 cladking 30-May-12 04:35
Re: Traces of Gold on GP 'Kings Chamber' walls &/or granite Coffer??? 185 eyeofhorus33 30-May-12 18:48
Re: Traces of Gold on GP 'Kings Chamber' walls &/or granite Coffer??? 157 cladking 30-May-12 22:18
Re: Traces of Gold on GP 'Kings Chamber' walls &/or granite Coffer??? 240 eyeofhorus33 30-May-12 22:37
Re: Traces of Gold on GP 'Kings Chamber' walls &/or granite Coffer??? 165 cladking 30-May-12 23:20
Re: Traces of Gold on GP 'Kings Chamber' walls &/or granite Coffer??? 170 Chris Jordan 23-Jun-12 09:01

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.