Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi Scimitar,

If you've read the posts in the Sphinx threads, and it looks like you have (I do have sympathy for you as that's quite an undertaking), you'll realize that some of us are a bit more open to changing our positions with the show of evidence to back these theories up.

For me, it's something I've asked upon, regarding weather records, temperature records, as well as insisting that there is more than one erosion factor at play. *shrugs* As for the aging issue, I have issue with using weathering as a way to denote age of any monument. I brought this out to someone over the weekend, "If I presented you with Cleopatra's Needle (Which is Egyptian in origin but moved to another location) can you show me how old it is from the weathering alone? More importantly can you show me what weathering is from what time period and do so accurately and which of that weathering is from what locale?"

I believe in using a logical method and taking into consideration of various facts. I don't give a crap regarding the aging of the Sphinx. It's something I've stated time and again. What I do care about is what weathering factors act upon the Sphinx and stopping them so that this lovely monument will be around for future generations. I know what the conservation studies have shown to be active factors in the decay of the Sphinx. They get dismissed as being inferior things or nonexistent though studies show they exist. They exist thus they need to be stopped. Beyond that, I don't care.

To me, the only reason for knowing the age of the Sphinx is in dealing with the length of dynasty and predynastic reigns. However, that said, without indepth records that show all major rain/wind storms, extreme temperatures and more, you'll never get a complete look at what the weather was like on a yearly basis in that area.

But I do read the articles and I do take in consideration the various facts. However, until I get an accurate means of how long it takes the Sphinx enclosure to be filled by sand, "a few years" ain't gonna cut it. How long is a few years? 3, 5, 10, 100? What proof do we have of it?

Cyn

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Sphinx-ad infinitum, ad nauseum 287 scimitar 13-Jan-04 19:46
Re: Sphinx-ad infinitum, ad nauseam 158 Nejc 13-Jan-04 20:18
Re: Sphinx-ad infinitum, ad nauseam 183 scimitar 13-Jan-04 20:43
p.s. 148 scimitar 13-Jan-04 20:52
Re: p.s. 145 Nejc 13-Jan-04 20:59
Re: Sphinx-ad infinitum, ad nauseam 129 Nejc 13-Jan-04 21:07
Re: Sphinx-ad infinitum, ad nauseam 192 Steve_L 14-Jan-04 01:58
Re: Sphinx-ad infinitum, ad nauseum 166 Laird Scranton 13-Jan-04 22:03
Re: Sphinx-ad infinitum, ad nauseum 155 Steve_L 14-Jan-04 02:00
Re: Sphinx-ad infinitum, ad nauseum 124 Cynnara 14-Jan-04 03:30
Re: Sphinx-ad infinitum, ad nauseum 177 scimitar 14-Jan-04 10:40
Re: Sphinx-ad infinitum, ad nauseum 222 catrowan 14-Jan-04 17:46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.