Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hello Avry,
R Avry Wilson wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> When Plato said Pillars of Hercules, he meant the Pillars of
> Hercules - the ones widely known in his times and later up
> until now, which we find situated at the Straights of
> Gibraltar.
>
> And there is context: the tales of Hercules have him carrying
> out one of his twelve labours here; Herodotus places a group
> called the Atlantes around Cadiz; the geographic and seismic
> properties exist right where Plato has them.
>
> In other words, I have a reserved agreement with Georges
> about this being the best candidate for an Atlantis if ever
> there was one.
>
> Best Regards,

I think the key phrase here is "best candidate", but even the below could be said to have context at-
[www.anomalies-unlimited.com]
While I can certainly understand how it could be that ancient sailors could give the doorway between the safe sea and scary ocean that particular name, other places might also have held the same beloved name; not unlike if I were to use the name, "book of God", that would even now mean something different to different folks, but especially so, in different places and times. Wasn't Hercules an older idea that the Greeks borrowed from the Lydians?, along with the Lydian purple, and the Lydian mode (soft sweet strain of music)?

Cheers,
Bob

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Atlantis in Cuba: The false 11 points of the theory of Andrew Collins. 16609 ScientificAtlantologist 29-Nov-02 19:50
Re: Atlantis in Cuba: The false 11 points of the theory of Andrew Collins. 178 trailmarker 30-Nov-02 20:28
Re: Atlantis in Cuba: The false 11 points of the theory of Andrew Collins. 138 R Avry Wilson 30-Nov-02 21:51
Re: Atlantis in Cuba: The false 11 points of the theory of Andrew Collins. 146 trailmarker 30-Nov-02 22:56
Re: Atlantis in Cuba: The false 11 points of the theory of Andrew Collins. 113 shivalinga 30-Nov-02 21:42
Re: Atlantis in Cuba: The false 11 points of the theory of Andrew Collins. 162 merfolk 01-Dec-02 06:41
Re: Atlantis in Cuba: The false 11 points of the theory of Andrew Collins. 187 GeorgeosDiazMontexano 09-Dec-02 23:32

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.