Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
endofworldbook wrote:

> Rob,
>
> As your surmised, I'm more interested in discussing topics that
> are relevant to my book. When we start getting into other
> predictions (like economic ones) we are straying a bit far from
> the topics I've researched, what I've studied, what I'm
> passionate about, and what I'm here to discuss which is the
> harmful effects of end of the world predictions.
>
> Having said that, I'd still be interested in exploring your
> ideas further. But not if you're going to insinuate that I
> engage in victim-bashing (i.e., by accusing me of abusing the
> very people whose minds I am trying to open with my book). I'm
> not buying the idea that financial concerns lead to more people
> falling for the doomsday claims.
>
> You really seem like you just want to discuss the debt problem.
> You've injected the $89 trillion debt into numerous
> conversations. I'm assuming you've got at least a rough
> outline that if world leaders were to follow, could reduce or
> eliminate the debt by a certain year (maybe 2050). I'm all
> ears.

Political leaders could reign in their austerity measures (which only make the economy sicker in the relative long term), and the could stop awarding massive cash hand-outs to their friends in the top positions of international corporations. A debt jubilee would also be good way to clear the decks so that a more fair and just economic system could be created. There are many creative ways to solve problems, but it requires more people to get involved and come up with support and ideas, instead of trying to undermine the effort.

I disagree with you when you argue people aren't pushed towards adopting irrational apocalyptic beliefs when doom pervades the economic landscape. I believe fear pushes people towards irrationalism because they don't possess the intellectual tools to understand the real issues, so they opt for surrogate issues that manifest as irrational issues to minds that are more rational. Unfortunately, some rational minds have a tendency to treat irrational problems whilst ignoring the underlying psychological root causes. Therefore, what occurs amounts to little more than window dressing and re-arranging chairs on a sinking ship.


-



Post Edited (20-Feb-13 14:22)

"Music is the only sensual pleasure without vice." - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Options: ReplyQuote


Subject Views Written By Posted
A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 197 Milo 18-Feb-13 01:08
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 92 endofworldbook 18-Feb-13 03:49
It's not a rational problem 121 Milo 18-Feb-13 09:37
Re: It's not a rational problem 94 drrayeye 18-Feb-13 14:48
Re: It's not a rational problem 132 Milo 18-Feb-13 14:52
Re: It's not a rational problem 91 endofworldbook 18-Feb-13 19:30
REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 80 Milo 18-Feb-13 20:03
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 83 endofworldbook 18-Feb-13 20:28
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 137 Milo 18-Feb-13 20:53
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 98 endofworldbook 18-Feb-13 21:12
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 119 Milo 18-Feb-13 21:30
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 87 endofworldbook 18-Feb-13 21:36
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 138 Milo 18-Feb-13 21:46
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 95 carolb 19-Feb-13 06:36
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 122 Milo 19-Feb-13 11:32
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 70 carolb 19-Feb-13 18:26
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 137 Milo 19-Feb-13 18:29
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 89 Aine 19-Feb-13 18:42
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 132 Milo 19-Feb-13 22:26
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 49 endofworldbook 19-Feb-13 13:52
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 131 Milo 19-Feb-13 15:20
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 94 endofworldbook 19-Feb-13 15:55
Re: REM - It's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine) 134 Milo 19-Feb-13 16:12
Re: It's not a rational problem 46 Aine 18-Feb-13 22:40
It's the end of the world for many people because of the lack of love 136 Milo 18-Feb-13 23:06
Re: It's the end of the world for many people because of the lack of love 88 Aine 18-Feb-13 23:25
Re: It's the end of the world for many people because of the lack of love 123 Milo 18-Feb-13 23:40
Re: It's the end of the world for many people because of the lack of love 92 Aine 19-Feb-13 01:27
Re: It's the end of the world for many people because of the lack of love 122 Milo 19-Feb-13 11:36
Re: It's the end of the world for many people because of the lack of love 70 Aine 19-Feb-13 12:46
Re: It's the end of the world for many people because of the lack of love 131 Milo 19-Feb-13 12:52
Re: It's the end of the world for many people because of the lack of love 89 Aine 19-Feb-13 13:01
Re: It's the end of the world for many people because of the lack of love 129 Milo 19-Feb-13 13:06
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 90 endofworldbook 18-Feb-13 22:09
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 113 Milo 18-Feb-13 23:29
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 90 endofworldbook 19-Feb-13 03:52
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 77 Milo 19-Feb-13 11:47
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 94 endofworldbook 19-Feb-13 12:23
moving a mountain of sugar with a pair of tweezers 155 Milo 19-Feb-13 13:03
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 49 Aine 19-Feb-13 12:45
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 124 Milo 19-Feb-13 13:11
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 51 endofworldbook 19-Feb-13 14:00
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 131 Milo 19-Feb-13 14:12
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 100 endofworldbook 19-Feb-13 14:56
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 87 Milo 19-Feb-13 15:15
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 116 endofworldbook 19-Feb-13 15:42
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 136 Milo 19-Feb-13 16:09
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 93 endofworldbook 19-Feb-13 17:07
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 127 Milo 19-Feb-13 17:48
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 87 Aine 19-Feb-13 18:02
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 128 Milo 19-Feb-13 18:19
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 93 Aine 19-Feb-13 18:36
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 124 Milo 19-Feb-13 22:22
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 95 Aine 20-Feb-13 13:45
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 119 Milo 20-Feb-13 13:46
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 88 Aine 20-Feb-13 13:58
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 128 Milo 20-Feb-13 13:59
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 83 endofworldbook 20-Feb-13 14:03
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 135 Milo 20-Feb-13 14:08
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 91 endofworldbook 20-Feb-13 14:20
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 129 Milo 20-Feb-13 14:31
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 91 endofworldbook 20-Feb-13 15:11
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 111 Milo 20-Feb-13 15:20
Disease Model Alert 100 Dr. Lew Graham 20-Feb-13 16:46
A broken society can only be fixed if action is taken... 130 Milo 20-Feb-13 17:11
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 93 endofworldbook 20-Feb-13 17:19
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 78 Milo 20-Feb-13 17:30
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 94 endofworldbook 19-Feb-13 19:51
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 136 Milo 19-Feb-13 22:25
Re: A Summary of the History Of The World and Mankind in just Two Minutes and Ten Seconds... 94 carolb 19-Feb-13 18:21
Root causes 128 Milo 19-Feb-13 18:26
Re: Root causes 93 Aine 19-Feb-13 18:39
Re: Root causes 123 Milo 19-Feb-13 22:31
Models of Reality 92 Dr. Lew Graham 19-Feb-13 20:56
Re: Models of Reality 127 Milo 19-Feb-13 22:42
This might help 98 Dr. Lew Graham 20-Feb-13 00:54
Re: This might help 125 Milo 20-Feb-13 01:04
Re: Models of Reality 84 drrayeye 19-Feb-13 23:42
Marty Seligman is a Personal Hero 91 Dr. Lew Graham 20-Feb-13 00:33
Re: Marty Seligman is a Personal Hero 128 Milo 20-Feb-13 00:41
The Disease Model of Behavior 107 Dr. Lew Graham 20-Feb-13 02:28
Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 125 Milo 20-Feb-13 11:42
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 92 endofworldbook 20-Feb-13 12:08
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 120 Milo 20-Feb-13 12:47
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 91 endofworldbook 20-Feb-13 14:00
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 123 Milo 20-Feb-13 14:03
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 88 Aine 20-Feb-13 14:04
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 123 Milo 20-Feb-13 14:09
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 70 Aine 20-Feb-13 14:12
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 88 Milo 20-Feb-13 14:36
Full steam ahead! 132 Milo 20-Feb-13 14:41
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 48 Aine 20-Feb-13 15:26
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 106 Milo 20-Feb-13 15:37
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 93 Aine 20-Feb-13 15:54
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 129 Milo 20-Feb-13 17:12
Re: Root causes can be treated through understanding & change & overcoming F.E.A.R. 94 endofworldbook 20-Feb-13 14:11
Re-arranging chairs on a sinking ship 85 Milo 20-Feb-13 14:22
Does Money = Higher Likelihood of Survival? 100 Dr. Lew Graham 20-Feb-13 17:25
Who said anything about money? 131 Milo 20-Feb-13 17:46
You 'Said' Something about Money 93 Dr. Lew Graham 20-Feb-13 23:29
Money is merely ethereal energy 100 Milo 20-Feb-13 23:59
Money is neither the problem nor the solution 82 Dr. Lew Graham 21-Feb-13 03:00
It's how money (personal energy) is used that can go towards a solution 93 Milo 21-Feb-13 11:11


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.