Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi Carol,

Yes I'm sure the foul language was part of the problem. I have to say though I don't think the violence was gratuitous -- in the dictionary sense of being there without apparent reason, cause of justification.

I've written a short essay which addresses this -- and other -- points and perhaps you might find it of interest.

Good and evil in Entangled

By Graham Hancock

Critics of my first novel, Entangled, have accused me of putting people off taking DMT, glorifying fear and violence which “prevent us from evolving”, and inventing an imaginary dualism between good and evil -- when really everything is good. Since these points are brought up repeatedly, I think it will be useful if I address them here.

Both DMT and Ayahuasca (in which DMT is the active ingredient) play an important role in Entangled as this mysterious molecule is the key to the time travel and out-of-body experiences that the novel describes. The purpose of Entangled is, however, neither to encourage people to try DMT or put them off trying it. Others have done that. The book's purpose is to tell the story that DMT, mediated through the Ayahuasca vine, gave to me. That is not a story of woo woo goodness surrounded by a warm soft New Age glow where everything can be made right just by wishing it to be so. It is, instead, a story of the battle of good against evil, of human cruelty and goodness, of frailty and strength. Ria and Leoni, the two central characters are themselves frail human creatures with their own weaknesses and dark sides, and an important part of the evolution of the story – which I will fulfil in volume 2 -- is how they overcome these weaknesses within themselves, master their dark sides, make positive choices against evil and restore balance to the universe. I cannot get there usefully through a woo woo glow but only by describing the struggle and turmoil that are as much a part of the human predicament as love and light.

All the wickedness and evil described in the book, all the bad things that happen, are things that human cultures with their endless evil creativity have already done. Human sacrifices, drinking of blood, etc, etc -- just think of the Aztecs guided by their war god (or demon?) Huitzilopochtli. Burnings at the stake were perfected by the Christian church. Castration of enemies -- the Afar and the Mursi in the Horn of Africa continue to do this up to this day. And further examples could of course be given ad nauseam.

In the balance in my story is innocence and love, represented by the Neanderthals. Evil will destroy them utterly unless human beings fight it, and with all their might. Sometimes -- sadly often -- the evil side of humanity just overwhelms the good in us, and sometimes when it does that it has to be fought. Hitler would not have been stopped by woo woo and the warm glow of love. Being the demon he was, misleading mankind, it was unfortunately necessary to stop him in the battlefield. It is such a situation, a Hitler of the Stone Age, that I am describing in Entangled and I would not, and could not, tell it any other way.

Of course there is light, wisdom and compassion in DMT, particularly when mediated through the Ayahuasca brew, again best represented by the Neanderthal characters in my story. But in the world that we inhabit there is also darkness and evil and sometimes to find our way to the light we have to fight our way through the darkness. That's the story I was given. That's the story I have told.

For those horrified by the violence in the book – let’s pretend that Hitler and the death camps never happened. Let's pretend that Pol Pot was just a bad dream. Let's pretend there are no nuclear bombs and no one who would ever use them. Let's pretend that the Inquisition is just a nasty story about the Church that some bad guy made up. Let's pretend that no humans are cold-blooded serial killers who delight in murder. Let's pretend that the Aztecs used red paint instead of human blood to decorate the great pyramid at the heart of Tenochtitlan. Let's pretend that no Mursi youth is convinced he must murder and castrate another man before he can call himself a man. Let's pretend that all the terrible things that human beings have been doing to each other for thousands of years, and are still doing to each other in so many places today, are things we have now grown beyond -- and then I can write a book that will give my readers a nice warm glow, and the conviction that all is well with the balance of the universe.

But what Ayahusaca told me was that sometimes evil can be so bad that it has to be confronted -- and stopped in its tracks -- and that is the story I ended up writing. Fear and violence do prevent us from evolving if we get stuck in those phases. Nonetheless evil is very real. It is a force in the universe, and it is part of the polarity of the human predicament. Our responsibility, ultimately, is to choose for one side or the other, and sometimes, in extreme circumstances, evil must be fought tooth and nail. The story I have written is a story set in extreme circumstances when my characters must make that choice and overcome the darkness in themselves and ultimately create a better world. Such choices, I would say, and our responsibility for them, play a key role in our evolution.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 6123 DNA 17-Jul-12 05:08
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 1045 Graham Hancock 19-Jul-12 09:44
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 605 DNA 19-Jul-12 17:06
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 675 Graham Hancock 20-Jul-12 16:19
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 634 DNA 20-Jul-12 21:54
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 2427 Graham Hancock 22-Jul-12 22:27
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 557 carolb 22-Jul-12 22:55
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 738 Graham Hancock 22-Jul-12 23:35
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 542 carolb 23-Jul-12 00:30
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 573 Echoes 23-Jul-12 13:38
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 807 Graham Hancock 23-Jul-12 14:51
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 540 michael seabrook 23-Jul-12 20:04
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 677 CoryStraine 18-Mar-13 20:10
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 532 Aine 19-Mar-13 17:31
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 652 maiabee 10-Apr-13 06:17
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 368 Elaine 13-Mar-18 18:27
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 831 Mystique001 13-Mar-18 18:44
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 592 venture 18-Apr-13 10:46
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 601 michael seabrook 10-Apr-13 12:08
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 760 Aine 10-Apr-13 13:45
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 1159 Mystique001 13-Sep-17 05:53
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 385 Esther369 21-Sep-18 09:23
Re: Is Graham Hancock writing a sequel to Entangled? 92 Cerviterii 09-Mar-19 06:48

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.