Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Thanks for the reply. I think that it was Graham who referenced Hamlet's Mill so many times that I bought a copy and attempted to digest it's implications of astronomy buried in myth. My own research originally had nothing to do with astronomy. I come from a fundamentalist family. "there is a vast amount of material of this nature that is awaiting evaluation having either been accepted at face value by fundamentalists or effectively discarded by those with a more scientific outlook. Once the concept of allegory enters the equation things take on a different perspective as you have discovered for yourself." You are also right, it appears that both sides are in error. How can this be? It is a tough job to attempt convincing either side of this battle of science and religion. One of my breakthroughs came when I started using a website, www.blueletterbible.org/ . I would list all of the proper names of people, places, and things. I looked up the original Hebrew or Greek words, using the Concordance for alternative definitions. I then replaced the proper name with the definition. An example would be Jonah in Hebrew means dove. A metaphor for the Holy Spirit or an invisible force. This gave me a different perspective to view Jonah, not as a man, but a force who entered the ship, the Great Storm, and the belly of the fish, which was described as hell. In the book of Daniel the kings dream of the statue, as pointed out by Walter Cruttenden in the Lost Star of Myth and Time, is a reference to the Greek's four seasons, gold, silver, bronze, and iron ages of the Great Year. Pisces is the last house of the zodiac so it would be the last month of winter. Possibly the three days are references to the last three winter signs or iron age of the zodiac. This is where we are today. In the Song of Songs, there is a similar allegory of moving , by use of an Arc, through a storm, into a new age represented by the offspring of the union between Solomon and Shulamith. A young girl with no breasts. I believe she is a metaphor for the coming spring, or the house of Aquarias ( I use the feminine form here), which would be the beginning of a new cycle or Great Year. I don't know how the pole star would play into this. Perhaps you will recognize it's significance in the story.
Roy

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 253 Graham Hancock 01-May-10 12:01
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 194 Harry Sivertsen 01-May-10 12:37
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 175 Roy Lohr 01-May-10 16:32
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 163 Harry Sivertsen 01-May-10 17:24
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 143 Roy Lohr 03-May-10 05:13
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 184 Harry Sivertsen 03-May-10 07:13
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 157 Nick L 07-May-10 19:00
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 122 Harry Sivertsen 07-May-10 23:02
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 157 Harry Sivertsen 08-May-10 13:37
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 124 Nick L 09-May-10 19:39
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 154 Harry Sivertsen 09-May-10 20:11
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 178 Roy Lohr 11-May-10 00:58
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 152 Harry Sivertsen 11-May-10 09:21
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 140 Roy Lohr 11-May-10 16:38
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 85 Harry Sivertsen 11-May-10 22:05
thanks to graham 129 michael seabrook 01-May-10 16:26
Re: thanks to graham 186 Roy Lohr 01-May-10 16:36
Re: thanks to graham 222 Ghia 02-May-10 02:59
Re: Welcome to Harry Sivertsen & Steve Redman authors of the month for May 2010 157 Steve Redman 04-May-10 15:57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.