Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
I was just flown to LA for the red carpet premiere of the new Sony $250 million disaster epic, "2012". This was quite a surreal and bizarre experience all around. Actually they first flew me to Jackson Hole Wyoming for a media cavalcade about 3 weeks ago - right before i went to Utah to meet up with Graham at the Reality Sandwich retreat.

Apparently I signed a release before the Wyoming event in which I pledged not to say anything derogatory about the film. I was then planning on not seeing it at all, but did go to see it in LA as part of the premiere. I will say what I said before seeing it, that it seems to me at such a critical time in our species, there are better ways to spend $250 mill than on massive shadow projections of apocalyptic destruction. We seem to be stuck on this negative view about the future - getting a kind of unhealthy charge out of fear.

It was a somewhat complex decision whether or not to participate in their marketing maelstrom. I still don't know if I made the right choice. It has left me open to articles such as "How to Sell an Apocalypse" from New York Magazine this week: [nymag.com] . Also I was packaged with two other 2012 "experts," John Major Jenkins and Lawrence Joseph, and it began to seem that whatever we said to the TV camers during the 15 second soundbite opportunities we were given, the underlying idea was to associate us with the movie's premise, that 2012 will be a massive cataclysmic event, and some provide intellectual cover for it.

My perspective is that I don't know what is going to happen in 2012 - and I don't think anyone does. However it is increasingly evident that unless there is a large scale shift in species behavior in a short period of time, we either won't survive as a species at all (like 99.99% of species in the past), or will suffer vast depopulation. The esteemed scientist James Lovelock, creator of the Gaian hypothesis that the earth functions as a self-regulating organism, now says there will be 150 million people max left on earth at the end of this century. Other scientists are also becoming increasingly dark in their projections.

At the moment we are acting like the bacteria in a test tube that eat through all of the nutrients provided for them while growing their population exponentially and then die of starvation/suffocation.

If we are going to see the vast population of humanity now on the planet not only subsist at current levels, but hopefully attain a more elevated state of awareness and activity, we are going to need to make a rapid transformation or transmutation in species behavior, culure, habit, and underlying intention.

Personally I believe this is possible. There is the material level in which human society needs to be reconceived and redesigned. The design scientist Buckminster Fuller seems to me to have the clearest insights about how to approach this - and he has many followers who have pursued his type of thinking into all areas. The idea is to recognize that society's problems are design flaws that can be ameliorated through design solutions.

For instance, one example is the underlying architecture of our money system that creates debt, competition, and artificial scarcity. The system cannot be reformed from with its current parameters, therefore a new system for exchanging value must be developed and disseminated. The Belgian currency expert Bernard Lietaer has been working on this - his book The Future of Money is awesome, as he also looks at the archetypal dimension of money, relating it to the Great Mother archetype, and discussing Yin versus Yang currencies. Another great book on the subject is by Tom Greco, and its called The End of Money and the Future of Civlization.

Another area is agriculture which has been industrialized and uses intensive helpings of fossil fuels and pesticides. The answer to this disastrous system is permaculture, which works with what the land naturally provides. Permaculture requires a massive retraining program to institute on a large scale. There is also aquaponics and other intensive methods of urban farming that make sense -apparently 80% of the food that a city like New York (where I live) needs, could be grown on the roofs!

There's other areas but the point is that design-based solutions that work more in relation to nature's principles already exist to address the material levels of the crisis, if the collective will was mobilized to implement them before it is too late.

Along with the material dimension, there is the psychic and spiritual dimension of the crisis. Modern people have been largely robbed of their agency, their soul, their inner life by a vast mechanism of indoctrination. I see a historical process going back to ancient Mesopotamia perhaps, where there is a shift from initiation to indoctrination. John Lash writes about this in his blog, metahistory,org . Initiation uses non-ordinary states to elevate consciousness and infuse it with a mytho-poetic awareness of reality. Indoctrination uses the same methods to transform consciousness but use these techniques to constrict and deaden awareness, to make human beings subservient to a hierarchical structure of power and domination.

Through my work in shamanism, i have had direct psychic experiences of many sorts. This reveals to me that there is the potential for humanity to access psychic energy for transformation - probably this is what the Maya and Egyptians were doing, in their way. I think we will need to recover those aspects of psychic techniques that could assist in transforming the world, and this will have to happen very quickly.

I tend to think of "2012" (this period around it) as the coming to consciousness of humanity, and potentially the shift from the physical to the psychic phase of our species evolution.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
2012 film 252 daniel pinchbeck 06-Nov-09 17:15
Re: 2012 film 194 Laird Scranton 06-Nov-09 17:42
Re: 2012 film 211 daniel pinchbeck 07-Nov-09 16:44
Re: 2012 film --cocoliztli 184 W_C_Sally 20-Nov-09 00:56
Re: 2012 film 173 legionromanes 23-Nov-09 11:14
Re: 2012 film 119 daniel pinchbeck 23-Nov-09 13:46
Re: 2012 film 247 legionromanes 23-Nov-09 14:14
Re: 2012 film 194 RaVaN 06-Nov-09 19:00
Re: 2012 film --lead to change, and change in amazing ways 198 W_C_Sally 20-Nov-09 00:59
Re: 2012 film 171 Raja 06-Nov-09 20:14
Re: 2012 film 182 Ghia 06-Nov-09 20:20
Re: 2012 film 160 Karen H Taylor 07-Nov-09 01:27
Re: 2012 film 174 daniel pinchbeck 07-Nov-09 16:46
Re: 2012 film 194 equestrian 07-Nov-09 17:37
Re: 2012 film 184 The Kwuda 12-Nov-09 21:07
Add Re: about 2012 film 206 The Kwuda 13-Nov-09 01:05
Re: 2012 film 178 David L 20-Nov-09 21:04
Re: 2012 film 168 W_C_Sally 21-Nov-09 07:21
Re: 2012 film 115 David L 22-Nov-09 05:11
Re: 2012 film 209 W_C_Sally 22-Nov-09 07:28
Re: 2012 film 176 Green Ruby 08-Dec-09 21:06
Re: 2012 film 161 carolb 08-Dec-09 21:17
Re: 2012 film 121 Green Ruby 09-Dec-09 22:28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.