Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi “Me,”

You raise some very important points regarding labeling and the misuse of language. In particular, as you suggest, many people (including many who should know better) confuse and conflate the terms paranormal and supernatural. The term paranormal is commonly used by many academic parapsychologists to denote phenomena that fall within the domain of the natural, even if currently poorly understood (i.e., they are paranormal), whereas true supernatural events might involve such aspects as transcendent beings, discarnate spirits, divine volition, the suspension of the laws of nature (not just an extension of the laws of nature, at least as we understand them at the moment), and so forth. However, the boundary between paranormal and supernatural can be very fuzzy indeed, as one person’s “paranormal” may be another person’s “supernatural.” To quote from the late Marcello Truzzi, “[T]erms like ‘paranormal’ were originally introduced to naturalize the supernatural.” (quoted from the article by Marcello Truzzi reprinted in The Parapsychology Revolution, p. 259)

Best,

RS

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Names and Labels 180 Me 23-Apr-08 01:57
Re: Names and Labels 175 Robert Schoch 24-Apr-08 15:16
Re: Names and Labels 117 Me 24-Apr-08 20:12
Re: Names and Labels 115 Robert Schoch 24-Apr-08 21:07
Re: Names and Labels 130 Louise 24-Apr-08 21:22
Re: Names and Labels 95 Robert Schoch 25-Apr-08 18:43
Re: Names and Labels 79 debraregypt 26-Apr-08 15:33

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.