Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi Claude,

You wrote:

> I am not familiar with vedic conception of the universe but I
> am concerned about the way one could interpret such a concept
> of taking this world
> like a "virtual reality". Is there not a risk of
> deshumanization in this process ?
> I see a great danger especially for the young generation to
> lose touch with reality and think that it is ok to do whatever
> they please without concern for others.

I would suggest that, as with most issues, it all depends on how one looks at it. The concept of 'dehumanisation' for example. The so-called 'real' world contains images such as the war in Iraq, with all it's horror. Are our children not being 'dehumanised' by this. There are countless examples, in the US it is not uncommon for images with supposed 'sexual' content, such as a woman's chest, or a man's 'plumber's butt' to be 'fuzzed out', yet images of dead and mutilated people appear on the evening news in amongst all the adverts for dental floss and so on. Is this the 'reality' with which we fear the young generation will loose touch ??? If so, then I suppose that would be a 'good thing' rather than a 'bad thing', i.e. the 'reality' that is presented for all to see is the more likely 'dehumaniser'.

> I am not saying that this theory is wrong or right I am saying
> that if this theory was to be emphasized a lot of caution
> should be taken to avoid the pitfall to be perverted or
> misunderstood.

> You see history is full of examples of prophets whose teachings
> have been perverted to no end and I see like a danger in this
> vedic conception.

Vedic 'theory', like all theories, suffers from the day to day 'interpretations' of those who presume to proclaim what they mean. The principle problem of verbal-based communication is that it is a most imperfect method of sharing concepts, with a tendency to promote misunderstandings, rather than understandings. I would go as far as to suggest that virtually all forms of religious belief started off with a relatively 'pure' initial doctrine as devised by bthe originator(s). It has been the case that all have suffered over time by the perversions ( yes, I agree 100 % with your use of that word ) of the people who have followed the 'leader'.....usually due to their intense desire to give the impression that they are the currently 'accredited' representative of 'God'. A 'power-play' in short.
>
> Forgive me for playing devil's advocate but there is already a
> great concern because of the internet and the easy way to be
> hooked and addicted to it that soon people and especially the
> young ones live in
> a virtual reality and lost the human contact and concern for
> those around them struggling with a more down to earth life. It
> is more a concern in Canada where 75% of households have at
> least one computer and where the cold climate favors staying
> indoor and using the computer.

That there are risks and pitfalls inherent in the current tidal surge of electronically based information and communication is undoubtedly true. However the main advantages are, IMHO, far outweighing these. Millions, possibly by now billions, of human beans all over this planet have access to incalculable quantities of data, most of which those in power have traditionally ( i.e. for thousands of years ) kept well away from the eyes and ears of the 'proles'. A great deal of this stuff is trash, of course, but a great deal is not, and in time the abusers and exploiters will have less and less opportunity to do their dastardly stuff. That a few kids get to waste a lot of time playing games with their computers is a relatively small 'price' to pay, I think.

Addiction is one of the greatest of human afflictions that we are here to try to overcome, they come in all shapes and sizes, so much so that we have shown an ability to get 'hooked' on just about anything ! A great joke that I was told many years ago, and have shared with others frequently involves the perception of US citizens compared to those of other nations in the area of 'Virtual Reality', maybe it is apt in this context. At the top of the Empire State Building there is a vestibule where visitors may choose to go out onto the exterior viewing terrace, alternatively one may choose to go into a 'Virtual Reality' room where the views are depicted electronically in perfect conditrions at all times, night and day, rain or shine. The joke is that that you can spot the foreigners and the Yanks by which direction they take, the 'locals' go for the VR view, and the 'invaders' go for 'real' Reality...........think about it. ;-)

TBX

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 1011 Joyeuse 23-Dec-04 20:12
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 337 Michael Cremo 24-Dec-04 18:12
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 341 Joyeuse 24-Dec-04 20:53
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 373 JimH 25-Dec-04 10:42
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 307 Joyeuse 25-Dec-04 17:33
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 324 Michael Cremo 25-Dec-04 17:57
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 346 JimH 29-Dec-04 02:09
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 310 Joyeuse 29-Dec-04 10:20
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 333 Michael Cremo 25-Dec-04 17:55
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 311 Joyeuse 25-Dec-04 19:56
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 316 Ima Sumac 26-Dec-04 11:34
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 367 Joyeuse 27-Dec-04 14:56
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 320 Ima Sumac 27-Dec-04 18:26
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 308 Laird Scranton 25-Dec-04 16:24
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 366 SphinxGirl 24-Dec-04 23:49
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 300 Joyeuse 25-Dec-04 01:55
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 326 SphinxGirl 25-Dec-04 20:02
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 325 timebanditx 27-Dec-04 05:56
Long time no see!!! 289 Kees 27-Dec-04 09:18
Re: Long time no see!!! 338 timebanditx 27-Dec-04 12:14
Re: Long time no see!!! 340 Jaimi2 29-Dec-04 16:57
Stranger and stranger..... 604 timebanditx 30-Dec-04 02:18
Re: post for Michael Cremo on Vedic conception of the world as virtual reality 370 Joyeuse 27-Dec-04 15:03

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.