Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
None of the names given as rulers in the various versions and fragments of the antediluvian section of the Sumerian King List have been translated – apart from the isolated case of Ziusudra apparently (Wikipedia). They have been transliterated; i.e. given the agglutinated phonetic values equivalent to the cuneiform of the times – but not then translated as having some further inherent meaning. We end up reading:

Alulim as a name from symbols A₂-LU-LIM,

then Alalĝar from A₂-LAL₃-GAR,

followed by En-men-lu-ana from EN-ME-EN-LU₂-AN-NA,

and En-men-gal-ana from symbols EN-ME-EN-GAL-AN-NA. Those third and fourth names on the list of eight pre-flood rulers are the first to appear separated out into their corresponding parts for some unclear reason.

They are followed by Dumuzid whose founding symbols, DUMU-ZID, are once again grouped together and so on.

[etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk]

That's not to say that I find myself able to give them all meaning (although I would have a stab at one or two) but it does suggest that there's more information still to be gleaned through the monosyllabic method of translation. The hyphenation of the names in academic translations hints that I’m not alone in thinking that. As I haven’t been through the conventional channels of Assyriology to arrive at this conclusion, it may have already been mentioned elsewhere. I really don’t know.

Madeleine
[madeleinedaines.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 706 MDaines 07-Feb-20 12:36
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 148 Wheeler 07-Feb-20 13:51
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 148 MDaines 07-Feb-20 14:22
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 142 Wheeler 07-Feb-20 14:35
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 148 MDaines 07-Feb-20 14:58
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 153 Wheeler 07-Feb-20 16:06
Epithets in the Sumerian King List 146 MDaines 10-Feb-20 10:24
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 137 atugablish 17-Feb-20 18:43
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 195 MDaines 18-Feb-20 12:49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.