Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Ziusudra has been cited more than once as ruler of Shuruppak/Sukurru at the time of the flood– although I do wonder if someone has modified the Wikipedia entry on the Sumerian King List. I could have sworn Ziusudra also figured somewhere in the text there not so long ago.

I understand that Thorkild Jacobsen, a renowned Assyriologist, had given Ziusudra as ruler of Shuruppak after studying the oldest but otherwise least impressive fragment of the King List (Weld-Blundell 62 in the Ashmolean Museum, University of Oxford) – where Ziusudra appears alone - and justifying that choice by its use in other texts of a different type, categorized as epics. He would have been aware that Ubara appears alone on the more complete versions of the King List but considered the antediluvian portion of it to have originally been a completely separate text. It seems likely that the similarity between Sumerian Ziusudra and the Greek Xisuthros (attributed to Berossus) in his list of equivalent names also influenced Jacobsen’s opinion about the rightful ruler of Shuruppak. In other words, he appears to have given more credence to a much later Greek reference than to more complete versions of the King List.

An impressive prism of the King List (fWeld-Blundell 444 also in the Ashmolean Museum) appears on the CDLI website under ref. P384786, alongside its transliterated text, and anyone can take the opportunity to double-check that one for themselves. I can confirm that the symbols of Ziusudra’s name don’t appear at all on that tablet at the time of the flood or in relation to Shuruppak, (lines 31-41 of the King List). Neither is Ziusudra named in the Sumerian King List transliteration given on the ETCSL website. Ubara is the only name of the ruler of Shuruppak given in both the CDLI tablet and the ETCSL composite text. ETCSL (Electronic Text Corpus of Sumerian Literature belonging to the University of Oxford) notes that they have not used (Jacobsen’s recension) WB-62.

Nevertheless, my re-translation of THE INSTRUCTIONS OF SHURUPPAK based on the ETCSL’s composite transliteration, shows it to be a rare text where both Ubara and Ziusudra appear. ETCSL has them together as:

“Ubara-Tutu, gave instructions to his son Zi-ud-sura”

My own monosyllabic translation of the four symbols comprising that much discussed name gave a very different result:

“Life long ago established”
from ZI – U₄(UD) - SUD - RA₂(DU)

If it was indeed meant to be taken as a name at some point in time, I suggest that the ZI/ZE symbol of Ziusudra signals the origin of Greek Zeus. ZI in Sumerian dictionaries is ‘life’, ‘to swell’ and ‘to rise’. See the Sumerian proverb on my website that confirms the use of ZI in that sense – and, most importantly, at the time of a flood:

[madeleinedaines.com]

Ubara Dudu (or Tutu) is equally intriguing and symbol UBARA hasn’t given up all its secrets just yet. In his case, I used the DU.DU symbols of the Sumerian King List because they fitted easily into the context of the story of the flood. They tie in particularly well with line 66 of THE STORY OF SUKURRU where the hero is told from behind a screen that he must sail away.

Madeleine

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07-Feb-20 15:43 by MDaines.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 142 MDaines 07-Feb-20 12:36
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 37 Wheeler 07-Feb-20 13:51
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 39 MDaines 07-Feb-20 14:22
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 32 Wheeler 07-Feb-20 14:35
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 41 MDaines 07-Feb-20 14:58
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 37 Wheeler 07-Feb-20 16:06
Epithets in the Sumerian King List 38 MDaines 10-Feb-20 10:24
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 16 atugablish 17-Feb-20 18:43
Re: The Sumerian King List, Ubara Dudu, Ziusudra or Noah? 11 MDaines 18-Feb-20 12:49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.