Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
As mentioned in my text on Occulture (the book and the phenomenon) here on Grahams's site, on a recent visit to Egypt I found it remarkable that so many of the wonderful Egyptian sacred sites – many of them thousands of years old – had in different ways been subject to vandalisation and graffiti, etc. For the most part, this phenomenon seems integrated in the human psyche: "where there's something pristine, beautiful and meaningful, let's destroy it."

This also becomes very evident when the new "memes" are religious too – albeit in a different way. The Coptic Christians sought refuge in old Egyptian tombs but couldn't just stay happy that these remarkable and highly magical places offered them shelter. They also had to, by the own magical thinking, erase (or least try) what was there in favour of their own symbols. It seems to be a phenomenon so heavily ingrained in the human psyche: when confronted with the strange, one needs to affix something of oneself in order to cope. Even the Vikings carved graffiti in Istanbul!

I'm interested to hear what kinds of similar examples you've seen out there in the big world. Is it mainly a monotheistic phenomenon (I think not)? Let me know what you think.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Desecration almost rhymes with desacralization 1915 carlabrahamsson 11-Dec-18 09:47
Re: Desecration almost rhymes with desacralization 206 Eddie Larry 12-Dec-18 16:42
Re: Desecration almost rhymes with desacralization 196 Naveen 12-Dec-18 17:36
Re: Desecration almost rhymes with desacralization 222 carlabrahamsson 12-Dec-18 18:36
Re: Desecration almost rhymes with desacralization 192 Eddie Larry 12-Dec-18 19:20
Re: Desecration almost rhymes with desacralization 200 carlabrahamsson 13-Dec-18 11:42
Re: Desecration almost rhymes with desacralization 200 Eddie Larry 14-Dec-18 00:20
Re: Desecration almost rhymes with desacralization 194 Robert Jameson 15-Dec-18 17:08
Re: Desecration almost rhymes with desacralization 199 Eddie Larry 15-Dec-18 19:21
Re: Desecration almost rhymes with desacralization 257 Itatw70s 21-Dec-18 00:47

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.