Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
I am nearing the end of my Author of the Month month, and I thought that as my penultimate posting I would show you eight or nine vessels which seem to have been used for ceremonial purposes, two in jade, one in agate and the rest in shui jing glass. The predominance of the latter is mainly due to low cost and availability on Ebay at the time of purchase. First, I have two spectacular vessels in nephrite jade.

This stands about 13 cm tall, and is in a beautiful translucent green jade. Note the small fault in the jade where hydration of nephrite has lightened the colour on the oblique side of the crack.

Nice sunny day today to show up the translucency. This was back-lit by the sun

Next, a loving cup. which is illustrated in my book, but I re-photographed today. Imagine the workmanship that went in to making this piece with the 'nipples' and four handles carved in relief.

Looking inside one of the halves reveals a circular score mark, clear evidence of the use of a rotating disc on a spindle, presumably operated by human power and a disc coated with diamond or corundum.
[[url=https://imgur.com/m9dgxKd][/url]

This agate vessel is one of a set that I purchased on Ebay for $72. Someone else has the rest, but this one slipped through. A truly stunning piece of art, and presumably a ceremonial wine vessel. The fluoride-induced weathering if anything enhances the piece.

I have shown this quite humble two-headed vessel before. The animal heads are surreal. Note the humour on side-view, one with ears up one flattened

A loving cup in plain glass, with a cicada handle at either end

The first of two pieces in streaked red glass. A friend who works for Johnson Matthey says Pilkingtons can't make a red like that. Streaks map to Fe, Al, K and Na

The second such piece. These were clearly part of a set - my sister has a third
[/url

A heavy bowl in the highly valued opalescent glass. Opalescence caused by titanium oxide picked up by the glass

Note the elephant-head handles

A clumsier piece with buffalo handles

Finally a later bowl with three bird script figures I bought on my last visit to Shi Li He Market in Beijing

Viewed from inside

Can you really believe that all such pieces, which I bought for a relative song, are rejected as modern carvings or neglected for other reasons? You certainly can't find anything like them in museums in China or anywhere else.

Denial is more than just a river in Egypt (not original, but true I fear).

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Hongshan jade, agate and natural glass vessels 758 drdavidanderson 27-Feb-18 20:56
Re: Hongshan jade, agate and natural glass vessels 61 Andrew_W 28-Feb-18 15:52
Re: Hongshan jade, agate and natural glass vessels 192 drdavidanderson 28-Feb-18 16:56

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.