Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Thank you James for those kind comments. No, I have not detected any weathering, nor have I looked for extraneous crystal growth under the microscope. Good idea, now I have resuscitated my microscope. The three pieces of Shui Jing that have been subjected to compositional analysis show the clear areas are pure SiO2 glass, melting temperature in excess of 1,600C, similar to Libyan desert Glass, which is a major why I have postulated an impact origin. That plus the fact some of it was mined as spheres, and the ejecta picked up (including 2 pieces with putative microdiamonds). I have not been able to get anyone examine a cobalt blue streak, but colleagues at Johnson Matthey have mapped the red streaks to Fe, Al, K and a little Na; and the opalescent streaks to Ti, with or without a little Fe. No Iridium! It is glass of course and not crystalline.

As for the first two pieces, I got one from Dandelion Fine Arts and the other from my friend Tony Wilson, an Australian jade collector. They must have been lying side by side in the same tomb.

David

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Hongshan Skulls - glass and other 2367 drdavidanderson 23-Feb-18 14:26
Re: Hongshan Skulls - glass and other 445 Andrew_W 25-Feb-18 05:58
Re: Hongshan Skulls - glass and other 444 drdavidanderson 25-Feb-18 11:19
Re: Hongshan Skulls - glass and other 407 JFG 28-Feb-18 16:17
Re: Hongshan Skulls - glass and other 423 JFG 27-Feb-18 02:05
Re: Hongshan Skulls - glass and other 454 drdavidanderson 27-Feb-18 08:07
Re: Hongshan Skulls - glass and other 413 JFG 28-Feb-18 16:01
Re: Hongshan Skulls - glass and other 788 drdavidanderson 28-Feb-18 16:44

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.