Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Okay, Haptabelöir let me respond. By ‘good art’ I recognise that here the judgement is definitely in the eye of the beholder, just as good music is in the ear of the listener. But a starting point is definitely that I as the beholder who might buy it, like it. In the case of a carving it has to show respect for the material used.

By ‘faked’ I mean copied from an original piece with the intention of passing it off it to someone as original. Of course the copyist may have intended just to make a good copy, which someone else then tries to con you into believing it is original. In the case of Hongshan there is a great variety of recognisable icons to choose from that seem to be unique to the Hongshan culture. Take the Pig Dragon and C Dragon and hawk for example. But the obvious copies always look sterile in comparison to the originals.

Is anything truly original? you ask. Well yes, I think it is, and the thing that strikes me about the small pieces, which as I argue are more in tune with the media in question. This is because, especially in nephrite jade colour variations are generally small scale and I see a great deal of artistic originality. Some pieces, as shown in the book, share a unique artistic signature. See the three bird pendants illustrated in Figure 2.9 and the four illustrated in Figure 2.10, many of which also use the colour variation in the jade to dictate the shape. Or in the two pure tremolite pieces in Fig 2.9, the artist has cleverly and wittily carved a pelican-like bird and a bat-like bird (or bird-like bat) from identical blocks of jade orientated at 90 degrees to one another.

Art is, of course, always created. But IMHO when it has been copied to deceive it ceases to be art. The problem becomes clear when you see two pieces, an original and a copy, side by side; take for example the piece on the left, from my collection and for which I paid around $200 in Hong Kong, and the piece on the right, photographed in Shenyang museum and declared original and of exceptional value.

Or these two multiple discs both in my collection

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05-Feb-18 17:29 by drdavidanderson.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Can good art be faked by a copyist? 888 drdavidanderson 04-Feb-18 20:19
Re: Can good art be faked by a copyist? 132 Haptabeiðir 05-Feb-18 15:11
Re: Can good art be faked by a copyist? 432 drdavidanderson 05-Feb-18 17:24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.