Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Below is one version of the Sumerian symbol for PI as given in the French book, L’Ecriture Cunéiforme (1):

I haven’t been able to find another example exactly like this, but it isn't a leap to see in it a geometric form, a circle to be formed around the 5 external points. On the ETCSL proto-cuneiform list, it is shown as two ears above the T form (the spirit), to indicate understanding (seen here below inside another symbol), and is also suggested as part of a combination where two cords or strange long ears emanate directly from a human head:

I have found PI with its common collocations thus:

1) GIŠ TUG₂ PI, the tree, the ear and hearing, the (musical) pitch.

2) PI EL LAL, the (musical) pitch, pure, to hang.

1) The Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge:

The first of these two phrases is given in my re-translation of The Instructions of Shuruppak as The Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge (see my post with that title). I might equally have chosen to write The Tree of Perfect Understanding. But it was a pragmatic choice because the first seemed more readily recognizable. My heart's preference goes to The Tree of Perfect Understanding because I believe that is exactly what it was, and that it did exist in a Golden Age. The Story of Sukurru tells us so.

2) The Song of Perfection:

The second is also found in my text where it refers to the hero being seduced by a song that pulls on his heart strings; this meaning was confirmed by its use in Sumerian proverbs. It is the perfect note with the capacity to influence emotion. Another use of PI is in the copying of clay tablets when scribes noted a break in the original tablet. They would write HE-PI, indicating ‘It is broken’ (2) and more literally ‘there is a hole in the pitch’, and so we understand that the pitch is some form of perfection, continuity, whether written or heard, that can be destroyed.

The general shape of the Sumerian symbol PI, origin of Greek PI, in tandem with its Sumerian meanings, provides an interesting link between sacred geometry and music. Then again, PI takes many phonetic forms, one of which is YA. Would it be a giant leap to suggest that A-YA, the flow of the pitch, the flow of sacred knowledge, is an element of ayahuasca?

The first Sumerians, whoever they were, possessed and transmitted knowledge that we are still fumbling for. How sad that the essence of it has remained unacknowledged in plain sight for so long while we search elsewhere. Could that change now, do you think?

Madeleine

(1) L’Ecriture Cunéiforme, Syllabaire Sumérien, Babylonien, Assyrien. Lucien-Jean Bord and Remo Mugnaioni, published by Geuthner Manuels.
(2) See P.49; The Ark before Noah, Irving Finkel, published by Hodder & Stoughton. 2014

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Sacred geometry, PI, and perfection; the lost knowledge of Sumer 878 MDaines 15-Aug-17 14:42
Re: Sacred geometry, PI, and perfection; the lost knowledge of Sumer 99 Dr. Troglodyte 15-Aug-17 18:38
Re: Sacred geometry, PI, and perfection; the lost knowledge of Sumer 97 MDaines 15-Aug-17 18:58
Re: Sacred geometry, PI, and perfection; the lost knowledge of Sumer 103 Dr. Troglodyte 15-Aug-17 19:12
Re: Sacred geometry, PI, and perfection; the lost knowledge of Sumer 118 Thunderbird 16-Aug-17 00:59
Re: Sacred geometry, PI, and perfection; the lost knowledge of Sumer 232 MDaines 18-Aug-17 08:46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.