Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Peter, why not tread both paths? A response in two parts; first, the beliefs and second, the translating.

I believe the text of my book, The Story of Sukurru, was written by or about the Sabians and that the Tree is a reference to whatever structure(s) existed on the plateau of Giza many thousands of years ago, perhaps a precursor to the Great Pyramid. We understand that the Sabians were astronomers, and that they made yearly pilgrimages to Egypt, but I want to take them further back to the times of Gobekli Tepe and perhaps even further… The Abraham mentioned in connection with the Sabians is AB, Father of Time, a founding element of cosmology, not at all a physical person. These were beer-brewers and beer drinkers, as human as you and me, and they were the original Sumerians. To my knowledge, nobody else holds this precise view of history so here you have a first.

You write “Could it be the primordial energy (Shakti, Earth) rising up the Sushumana (stairway, ladder, Tree) through the waters (the Void, the body) to join the Lord (Shiva, the Sky, Heaven) in Cosmic Harmony?”

Well yes. A literal understanding of the text doesn’t obviate the spiritual, and the Sumerian texts are multi-layered. Thus, the Tree was very likely a metaphor for the subtle energy of physical body and cosmic forces. According to my translations, sound is key to whatever function the Tree might have had.

Now to the translating side:

You write “Seems like this is the same story found in many cultures…”
Yes, the same story is found in many cultures. I’m not sure if you have read my article or understand my position as translator of the earliest Sumerian texts. My contention is that the stories come from one original source and that there was one original monosyllabic language which later became distorted into what is now known as cuneiform. That would explain the garbled similarities across the world.

You write “the intended meaning of the author is questionable. “
I agree with you entirely; it is questionable that translators of archaic scripts have understood, fully or even partially, the intended meanings of the original authors. And yet most people will never think to question any of it, and so stuff gets repeated until it becomes truth. In the same way, the origins of our words have been attributed to a purely statistical study called PIE (proto-Indo-European). What are the odds that, in a few thousand years, from now, people will be discussing PIE the way we discuss ancient Greek today? It's home will probably be a continent…

If I had a second life, I might well spend it studying Sanskrit and the Vedas, a fascinating subject, but I don’t. My speciality is the study of the ‘primitive’ Sumerian symbols, their meaning and their profound significance. This is what I wrote in a post on the “Enki and the Cap of stone” blog:

“I translate only Sumerian, and I give all my sources and methods so that people can decide for themselves whether I’ve got it right or not. I try not to spout about things that are second or third-hand. I hope my method and the result serve to make me credible. The credibility of others is not my concern. You must decide for yourself.”

Of course you’re right to be sceptical, but read my work and allow me to try to convince you, please. I will always answer any precise questions about these, the oldest symbols, made to my email: sukurru AT post.com.

Madeleine

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Then, the Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge was there. 1921 MDaines 13-Aug-17 16:25
Re: Then, the Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge was there. 351 cladking 13-Aug-17 18:33
Re: Then, the Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge was there. 451 MDaines 14-Aug-17 10:55
Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge 344 MDaines 20-Aug-17 11:15
Re: Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge 302 cladking 20-Aug-17 13:42
Re: Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge 301 MDaines 20-Aug-17 14:04
Re: Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge 297 cladking 20-Aug-17 15:23
Re: Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge 316 MDaines 20-Aug-17 15:42
Re: Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge 342 cladking 21-Aug-17 15:39
Re: Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge 258 MDaines 21-Aug-17 16:25
Re: Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge 326 SallyA 24-Aug-17 22:44
Re: Then, the Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge was there. 319 drew 21-Aug-17 02:17
Re: Then, the Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge was there. 307 MDaines 21-Aug-17 18:16
Re: Then, the Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge was there. 333 drew 22-Aug-17 01:03
Literal or Symbolic? 344 Barbelo 21-Aug-17 06:05
Re: Literal or Symbolic? 358 MDaines 21-Aug-17 11:14
Re: Literal or Symbolic? 306 Barbelo 21-Aug-17 22:36
Re: Literal or Symbolic? 334 MDaines 22-Aug-17 16:00
Re: Then, the Tree of Consciousness and Knowledge was there. 734 SallyA 24-Aug-17 23:00

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.