Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
I read with great interest the messages posted here by Stephen, but abstained from joining in because I thought it might be misconstrued as muscling in.
So now I can say it; according to my text, cannabis was apparently the primary spiritual plant used in ancient Sumer. The reference is found in the translation of ‘The Story of Sukurru’ between lines 56 and 59 as follows:
"In the place sits the cannabis man, whirling smoke on high.
Leader of the people, leader of the people,
Spirit between the eyes,
The Brewer smokes on high.
A sickly reed into a tree will grow, its mouth near milk spreads smoke on high for the lord.
Cream of the ocean, cream of the ocean,
Spirit between the eyes, and the Brewer’s smoke."
It’s the only section using reiteration in this way, and strongly suggests that this was a familiar refrain. It’s also amusing to note that it is almost certainly the source of the biblical text found in Daniel 4:11:
"The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the earth. Its foliage was beautiful and its fruit abundant, And in it was food for all. The beasts of the field found shade under it, And the birds of the sky dwelt in its branches, And all living creatures fed themselves from it. I was looking in the visions in my mind as I lay on my bed, and behold, an angelic watcher, a holy one, descended from heaven.…"
So now we know what Nebuchadnezzar was using, and, given that ‘The Story of Sukurru’ dates to at least 2600 BCE, he wasn’t the first. You got it, Stephen!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Cannabis, spirituality and Stephen Gray 789 MDaines 04-Aug-17 09:02
Re: Cannabis, spirituality and Stephen Gray 70 Thunderbird 07-Aug-17 03:33
Re: Cannabis, spirituality and Stephen Gray 62 MDaines 07-Aug-17 08:12
Addendum 59 MDaines 07-Aug-17 08:33
Re: Addendum 60 Thunderbird 07-Aug-17 23:41
The urgent task 166 MDaines 08-Aug-17 08:37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.