Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
What if you if you were asked to boil down the essence of spiritual guidance to one word? You couldn't do that effectively of course. Waking up from illusion and landing on what is—on the unconditioned reality of the awakened-heart state—almost certainly requires learning from the wisdom and insight of those who have traveled far on the path. How do you do it? What obstacles and dangers should one look out for? And as the great homespun philosopher and master of malapropism (not to mention baseball) Yogi Berra put it, "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."

So . . . if you do aspire to awaken from the confusion of the struggling ego, you have to have at least a vague idea of what's possible, "the possibility of possibility" as Archbishop Desmond Tutu put it.

But again, what if you really had to come up with one word? One of the characters in author Tom Robbins' novel Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates is Sailor the Parrot. Sailor has one thing to say for everyone, "Peeple of zee wurl', relax." There it is, "Relax." Two easy syllables that might just sum up the 'work.'

But maybe I'll just add a bit more. How about "let go?" or as the legendary psychedelic philosopher (and actual master of eloquence) Terence McKenna put it in one of his cruder moments, "Sit down, shut up, and pay attention." I'd also like to add "trust" to this minimalist canon. The awakening path involves a radical and almost always gradual shift of allegiance from the head-sourced stories upon which we build the edifice of our lives, to trust in the awakened state, or you could say trust in the unconditioned intelligence of now when you let go of head traffic, pay attention, and, uh, relax.

What does that have to do with cannabis? If you're interested, please read some of the other posts I've written as author of the month for July here on the grahamhancock.com forum. Better yet, if you really are interested in going beyond theory to actual practice, is to get your hands on a copy of Cannabis and Spirituality. I'm the editor of the book and one of 18 international contributors whose mission is to re-honor and reclaim our ancient plant spirit ally "for the generations to come."

As my last word (okay, words) in this role, I'll answer my rhetorical question by reminding you that with intention, with skill, and almost certainly with experience, cannabis can energize and amplify our presence in this moment. It can sharpen and dramatically open the system and over time teach us to trust the awakened state, perhaps more accessibly labeled "now," without distorting narratives about what is real or not, true or not, good or not, possible or not. I can say from direct experience that when we can get out of our own way—like by practicing Terence's crude exhortation—cannabis is ultimately capable of inviting us in to what is, and not just during the short hours in her embrace, but for the life journey - the only way it really matters.

And now I leave my post in this role on the forum. As legendary journalist Edward R. Murrow used to say at the close of his broadcasts, "Good night and good luck."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01-Aug-17 03:54 by Stephen Gray.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Cannabis: "Peeple of Zee Wurl' . . ." 242 Stephen Gray 01-Aug-17 01:21
Re: Cannabis: "Peeple of Zee Wurl' . . ." 33 Brian Patterson 01-Aug-17 23:32
Re: Cannabis: "Peeple of Zee Wurl' . . ." 71 greengirl5 02-Aug-17 03:00
Re: Cannabis: "Peeple of Zee Wurl' . . ." 28 Stephen Gray 01-Aug-17 23:47

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.