Author of the Month :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
Join us at this forum every month for a discussion with famous popular authors from around the world. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Thanks Drew --

Yes, I appreciate the points you and Carol are making as additional evidence that we are on a spherical earth orbiting the sun.

The mapping history is definitely related to this subject and its a great insight that you brought it up.

When I was in the army, almost all of it prior to the days of widely available GPS devices (hard to even imagine how much that one technology has changed the business of moving around on our planet!), we did get some formal training about spherical projections and various mercator systems (mainly we used the universal transverse mercator projections).

It's not a subject I've spent a lot of time looking at, but I do own and have enjoyed reading Hapgood's Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings. That was a ground-breaking work but I'm sure there is much more that has been published in that vein since then. Those who have more knowledge of this subject please feel free to post good recommendations for anyone wishing to further pursue the mapping question. One aspect of Hapgood's analysis that I found most interesting is his conclusion that the old portolan system (which may be very ancient -- I'm not sure we know where it came from, actually) seems to use "multiple norths" for different portions of the same map (i.e., in this part of the map, north is one way on the page, but in that part of the map, north is a slightly different angle). The portolan system resembles, to me, the method of plotting positions that we call the "polar" method in the military -- a given distance and angle from a known point. The portolan uses several "known points" on the map surface (those are the circles you see) and then has angles radiating out from those points. But I'm by no means an expert on this -- just saying that was one of the most interesting aspects to me, especially because it seems so intuitive and yet "modern" maps or even most non-portolan older historical maps do not typically use this approach, indicating that the portolan system may come from a different ancient tradition that was lost or suppressed or otherwise largely forgotten beneath the sands of time . . .

David

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 2937 dwm 09-Mar-16 04:19
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 461 michael seabrook 09-Mar-16 10:28
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 415 dwm 11-Mar-16 00:00
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 436 carolb 09-Mar-16 14:31
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 472 dwm 09-Mar-16 21:51
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 412 carolb 10-Mar-16 12:59
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 541 Aine 10-Mar-16 19:54
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 380 dwm 11-Mar-16 00:02
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 388 drew 11-Mar-16 05:22
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 473 dwm 11-Mar-16 07:24
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 503 carolb 11-Mar-16 12:51
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 406 dwm 12-Mar-16 01:12
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 351 drew 15-Mar-16 00:17
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 373 dwm 15-Mar-16 13:36
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 397 Nolondil 29-Mar-16 16:46
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 839 carolb 29-Mar-16 17:31
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 450 cladking 19-Mar-16 03:25
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 498 dwm 19-Mar-16 04:10
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 1004 carolb 19-Mar-16 23:04
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 418 cladking 21-Mar-16 22:00
Re: Helpful list of evidence that earth is a sphere 500 carolb 21-Mar-16 22:42

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.