GODDESS NIKE (Roman name VICTORIA) on Olympic Medal
The Acropolis in the background dedicated to the Goddess Athena NIKE.
The village was originally recorded as Stoches in the Domesday Book of 1086, from the Old English word stoc meaning an outlying farm or hamlet. The suffix Mandeville was first recorded in 1284 when the manor was listed as being in the hands of the powerful Norman de Mandeville family. The former medieval parish church on the outskirts of the village was condemned in the mid 20th Century and was demolished in January 1966. The newer red brick parish church of St Mary, consecrated in July 1866 by Bishop of Oxford Samuel Wilberforce, remains as the only church in the village apart from the Methodist church in Eskdale Road.
Stoke Mandeville was also the location of the Stoke Mandeville Games, which first took place in 1948 and are now known as the World Wheelchair and Amputee Games. The Games, which were held eight times at Stoke Mandeville, were the inspiration for the first Paralympic Games, also called The Stoke Mandeville Games, which were organised in Rome in 1960. The wheelchair aspects of the 1984 Paralympics were also held in the village. The London 2012 Summer Paralympics mascot, Mandeville, is named after the village due to its legacy with the Games. Stoke Mandeville Stadium was developed alongside the hospital and is the National Centre for Disability Sport in the United Kingdom, enhancing the hospital as a world centre for paraplegics and spinal injuries.
On May 13, 2000, the new Stoke Mandeville Millennium sign was unveiled. It stands on a small brick plinth on the green outside the primary school. The sign shows aspects of village life over the centuries.
Effigy of Geoffrey de MANDEVILLE in the Temple Church
In 1143-1144 earl Geoffrey maintained himself as a rebel and a bandit in the fen-country, using the Isle of Ely and Ramsey Abbey as his headquarters. He was besieged by King Stephen but met his death in September 1144 in consequence of an arrow wound received in a skirmish. Because he had died excommunicate, his body was denied burial. Wrapped in lead, it was taken by the Templar community in London. He was buried in the Temple Church in London. His son arranged for an effigy to be placed on the floor, where it still can be seen today.
Geoffrey de MANDEVILLE - Knights Templar
The Olympic village is built on former Knights Templar Land.
Geoffrey de MANDEVILLE was the former owner of the land where Buckingham Palace (and the statue of NIKE) is now located.
It was formerly the village of EYE CROSS
PARALYMPIC mascot MANDEVILLE
The NIKE sects of today
Their are many small cults that still worship NIKE today. The ceremonies amongst the cults differ slightly from sect to sect but still closely follow the ancient traditions of tribute as set forth by the Greeks. All of them still incorporate live sacrifices into their rituals.
STARTED BY THE NAZIS
Post Edited (17-Aug-12 07:48)