For one thousand years throughout the Dark and Middle Ages the church withheld the documents of the Bible from translators and persecuted those who were in possession of scripture not written in Latin, preferring instead that the public be dependant on the interpretations of the church.
For all intent and purposes these historical documents were only made available for public scrutiny 500 years ago and as a result much that the world believes about its teachings is simply not contained within. As a point of terms while the history contained within the documents may be debated as to their historical accuracy the documents themselves are as they must be, classified as historical artifacts.
I don’t claim to be an expert in Bible exposition but after a great many years as an agnostic I was challenged to read the book that I had rejected in my youth based on the sermons I had heard preached from the pulpit. As an adult I approached the book as a skeptic and was surprised by what I did not find.
Rather than muck through the who, how and when of the history of the book’s origins I think it might be helpful to post a comment about what can not be found written in the Bible.
1. There is nothing in the Bible that expresses the existence of an eternal/immortal soul.
2. The one singular reference that could be interpreted to be a place of eternal torment for sinners after death is a parable that indicates the concept is of human origin and actually teaches that their would be no value in such a place. (Luke 16:19-31)
3. In the culmination of all things it is not God who judges humanity but all humanity that with Gods guidance comes to a mutual conclusion (judgment) about the value of human morals and intellect.
4. God is not described as a trinity. Instead the Holy Spirit is descriptive of knowing god and this matters because the only sin that is unforgivable is to condemn god after knowing him/her.
5. With the apparent exceptions of Jesus, Moses and Elijah our ancestors and loved ones are not in heaven or hell but remain in the grave in a state of existence described as sleeping with no awareness of time.
Personally I don’t find fault or favor with anyone based on his or her god of choice, or his or her choice of no god, as I believe it is apparent that for all of us we will not have the opportunity to “know” god until after our death.
As to why the fathers lied the answer is really quite simple: To find favor, gain power and wealth. Since the reformations brought about by Johannes Gutenberg’s press the new religions proselytize and evangelize using the old falsifiable scare tactics for the same reasons.
The Bible it is but one of many historical documents relating a path to spirituality and yet I find the general response to its mention in these forums to be both peculiar and remarkable and for the most part based on centuries of false indoctrination.
S.N. Apocryphal literature is not considered relevant to the matter IMHO.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30-Mar-16 06:30 by eli stills.