Paranormal & Supernatural :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions of everything that might be classed as ‘paranormal‘ - i.e. not currently accepted by our modern scientific paradigm. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Wireless,

I think what you are relating to is for wireless communications, I have provided links and resources to information pertaining to wireless communications and it's mathmatical relation to a wavelength. However, wireless communications is not virtually the same as physics. The article further below titled "Wave and Sound" provides a better understanding of what I was trying to get across. I also included a portion on the Doppler effect for your convienence to review.

As for time vs. frequency - E=MC squared (Energy=mass x speed of light squared) Energy releases light and sound, Light and sound has many frequencies (cycles per second=time parameter), speed of light squared is time. In my view frequency = time, they are both one in the same, wether you call it a vibration, frequency, cycle, phase because time is a parameter or it's the common denominator to determine each. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that doesn't have time associated with it except for Newtons law of Universal gravitation.

I did have the two waves mixed by the way, the shorter the wavelength the higher the frequency, longer wavelength the lower the frequency, been tinkering with my shortwave radio lately and had wave on the brain.

Space itself is a medium, light travels through space thats how astronomers capture the light in their telescopes. Light travels at 186,000 miles per second in this example the Sun is 93 million miles from earth, if the sun blew up you would not know it for 500 seconds or 8.3 minutes because that is how long it takes for light to travel from sun to earth.

Medium as defined in the dictionary is an intervening thing through which a force acts or an effect is produced by any surrounding or pervading substance in which bodies exist and move. Planets, Moons, Stars, Galaxies, comets, asteriods, meteors, nebula clouds, black holes all exist and move. The substance in space is matter so if matter moves so do the bodies.

Hertz is the unit of measure for frequency. There is no inverse. It's a direct one to one relationship 1hz=1 cycle per second. I think you are getting this confused with the mathmatical relationship in wireless communications which is f=300/w (F=Frequency and W=Wavelength), so in wireless terms it would be 300/6 =50hz which would be equal to 50 cycles per second.

As for frequencies not being independent, on a shortwave radio there is single side band in which you go to a frequency and you fine tune into a band of that same frequency, does a frequency have multiple bands? Maybe you can clear that one up for me, I think that is why I gave the answer that I did.

You are correct we can niether see or hear with our current human senses all that there is, I think what I was trying to relate, was that according to the track record of what we can physically see and hear at this moment compared to when we have the wide range of spectrum available to use, yes visual reality would be different due to seeing and hearing more then we did, but the end result would still be the same because either end of the spectrum may still contain frequencies yet to be discovered and we may still not have the right equipment to view or hear with in that regard. If the universe is infinite, then what is contained in the universe is infinite until of course proven otherwise.

Thanks for the point by point rebuttal to. Really appreciate it. It's good to know some folks aren't afraid of a good old fashioned debate every once in a while. As for me I spent more time underwater in this arena, and was basically looking for mechanical devices like props, engines, powerplants etc.. to track them. Not much noise interference in water except for surface props, storms and the occasional school of fish or whales.

[whatis.techtarget.com]

Frequency is important in wireless communications, where the frequency of a signal is mathematically related to the wavelength. If f is the frequency of an electromagnetic field in free space as measured in megahertz, and w is the wavelength as measured in meters, then
w = 300/f
and conversely
f = 300/w

For an oscillating or varying current, frequency is the number of complete cycles per second in alternating current direction. The standard unit of frequency is the hertz, abbreviated Hz. If a current completes one cycle per second, then the frequency is 1 Hz; 60 cycles per second equals 60 Hz (the standard alternating-current utility frequency in some countries).
Larger units of frequency include the kilohertz (kHz) representing thousands (1,000's) of cycles per second, the megahertz (MHz) representing millions (1,000,000's) of cycles per second, and the gigahertz (GHz) representing billions (1,000,000,000's) of cycles per second. Occasionally the terahertz (THz) is used; 1 THz = 1,000,000,000,000 cycles per second. Note that these prefixes represent specific powers of 10, in contrast to the prefixes for multiples of bytes, which represent specific powers of 2.
Computer clock speed is generally specified in megahertz and, more recently, in gigahertz.

[www.sd81.k12.wa.us]
Waves And Sound
Grade 7 - Physics

Theme: Nature of Sound and Waves

Waves are everywhere. Without them, we could not see or hear. Two types of waves include longitudinal (parallel to the pulse) waves and transverse (perpendicular to the pulse) waves. The number of waves per given time period is called frequency. The distance from the start of one wave pulse to the start of the next wave pulse is called wavelength. The shorter the wavelength, the higher the frequency. Waves travel through many types of media, water and air being the two most familiar media to us. The speed of waves through the same medium is constant. When waves encounter a barrier, they generally reflect off the barrier.When two or more waves collide, they produce predictable interference patterns. Sound is generated by vibrating objects which vibrate air to produce sound waves. The vibrations travel to the ear drum which then vibrates to initiate the hearing process. What is described as "pitch" is a function of wave frequency.

Key Concepts
• Two kinds of waves:
- Transverse
- Longitudinal
• Speed of different amplitude waves is the same in a given medium.
- High frequency has short wavelength
- Low frequency has long wavelength
- Speed = Frequency X Wavelength
- As frequency increases, wavelength decreases
- As frequency decreases, wavelength increases
• Wave collisions / interference
- Constructive interference: waves combine and pass through each other
- Destructive interference: wave subtract and pass through each other
- Free end reflects on same side as initial pulse
- Fixed end reflects on opposite side as initial pulse
• Changing media
- Frequency stays the same. However, wavelength, speed and amplitude may all change.
- As a wave travels into a different medium, part of the original wave is reflected back, part continues travelling in the original direction

Harmonic Key Concepts
• Inverse relationship between frequency and wavelength
- Fundamental frequency = 1/2 wavelength
- Wave is reflected back at same frequency and wavelength
- Harmonics: places where harmonic frequency=harmonic number x fundamental frequency
- Harmonic wavelength=fundamental frequency wavelength/harmonic number.

Key Concepts
• Point source wave is an expanding circle
• Straight wave front reflects straight back from a wall parallel to wave front
• Angled barrier introduces: Angle of incidence=angle of reflection
• Increasing frequency produces decreasing wavelength
• As depth of medium decreases, speed and wavelength decrease
• Straight wave into a barrier with a small opening in the middle produces circular waves at the exit.
• Sound is produced from back and forth vibrations
• Sound requires a medium
• Sound travels faster in more elastic or more dense media
• Increase in temperature = faster speed in same medium
• Sound is primarily a longitudinal waves
• Pitch is perceived (heard) sound wave frequency
• Wavelength is the difference between two consecutive wave compressions
• Loudness is perceived (heard) sound wave amplitude
• Increased frequency=higher pitch; decreased frequency=lower pitch
• Sound waves need a medium for travel
• More elastic medium=faster wave speed
• In general, a more dense medium=faster wave speed

[archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu]

The Doppler Effect
A Familiar Example
Heard an ambulance go by recently? Remember how the siren's pitch changed as the vehicle raced towards, then away from you? First the pitch became higher, then lower. Originally discovered by the Austrian mathematician and physicist, Christian Doppler (1803-53), this change in pitch results from a shift in the frequency of the sound waves, as illustrated in the following picture.

As the ambulance approaches, the sound waves from its siren are compressed towards the observer. The intervals between waves diminish, which translates into an increase in frequency or pitch. As the ambulance recedes, the sound waves are stretched relative to the observer, causing the siren's pitch to decrease. By the change in pitch of the siren, you can determine if the ambulance is coming nearer or speeding away. If you could measure the rate of change of pitch, you could also estimate the ambulance's speed.
By analogy, the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a moving object also exhibits the Doppler effect. The radiation emitted by an object moving toward an observer is squeezed; its frequency appears to increase and is therefore said to be blueshifted. In contrast, the radiation emitted by an object moving away is stretched or redshifted. As in the ambulance analogy, blueshifts and redshifts exhibited by stars, galaxies and gas clouds also indicate their motions with respect to the observer.
The Doppler Effect In Astronomy
In astronomy, the Doppler effect was originally studied in the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Today, the Doppler shift, as it is also known, applies to electromagnetic waves in all portions of the spectrum. Also, because of the inverse relationship between frequency and wavelength, we can describe the Doppler shift in terms of wavelength. Radiation is redshifted when its wavelength increases, and is blueshifted when its wavelength decreases.
Astronomers use Doppler shifts to calculate precisely how fast stars and other astronomical objects move toward or away from Earth. For example the spectral lines emitted by hydrogen gas in distant galaxies is often observed to be considerably redshifted. The spectral line emission, normally found at a wavelength of 21 centimeters on Earth, might be observed at 21.1 centimeters instead. This 0.1 centimeter redshift would indicate that the gas is moving away from Earth at over 1,400 kilometers per second (over 880 miles per second).
Shifts in frequency result not only from relative motion. Two other phenomena can substantially the frequency of electromagnetic radiation, as observed. One is associated with very strong gravitational fields and is therefore known as Gravitational Redshift . The other, called the Cosmological Redshift, results not from motion through space, but rather from the expansion of space following the Big Bang, the fireball of creation in which most scientists believe the universe was born.

Joseph

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 657 Briffits 06-May-04 21:55
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 216 Maria KA 07-May-04 00:06
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 237 Briffits 07-May-04 01:00
Re: Venus Transit and Intuitive Awareness 240 Nebankh 07-May-04 01:48
Re: Venus Transit and Intuitive Awareness 195 Maria KA 07-May-04 05:00
Re: Venus Transit and Intuitive Awareness 158 Briffits 07-May-04 07:56
Re: Venus Transit and Intuitive Awareness 232 Maria KA 07-May-04 18:13
Re: Venus Transit and Intuitive Awareness 227 Briffits 07-May-04 21:41
Astrology v Psychotherapy 198 Richard Fusniak 07-May-04 22:16
Re: Astrology v Psychotherapy 216 Maria KA 08-May-04 01:53
Re: Astrology v Psychotherapy 246 Richard Fusniak 09-May-04 17:59
Re: Astrology v Psychotherapy 161 catrowan 10-May-04 11:51
Re: Astrology v Psychotherapy 180 Briffits 08-May-04 02:42
Re: Venus Transit and Intuitive Awareness 214 Briffits 07-May-04 07:45
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 185 catrowan 07-May-04 16:39
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 230 Briffits 07-May-04 21:03
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 191 catrowan 08-May-04 11:29
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 192 Briffits 08-May-04 22:35
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 217 Maria KA 08-May-04 23:38
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 203 catrowan 10-May-04 11:14
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 239 Maria KA 10-May-04 16:05
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 202 catrowan 10-May-04 16:15
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 189 wirelessguru1 10-May-04 01:03
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 188 catrowan 10-May-04 11:30
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 195 wirelessguru1 10-May-04 18:09
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 210 David L 10-May-04 15:59
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 185 jestahley3 11-May-04 06:00
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 200 Cesar 11-May-04 08:20
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 202 Cesar 11-May-04 10:52
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 207 jestahley3 11-May-04 17:16
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 224 wirelessguru1 11-May-04 20:20
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 220 jestahley3 11-May-04 21:43
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 139 wirelessguru1 12-May-04 02:56
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 189 Maria KA 11-May-04 23:16
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 231 David L 12-May-04 02:38
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 222 wirelessguru1 12-May-04 03:08
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 249 David L 12-May-04 14:47
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 177 wirelessguru1 12-May-04 18:58
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 174 David L 12-May-04 23:49
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 179 wirelessguru1 13-May-04 00:47
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 226 wirelessguru1 12-May-04 02:52
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 224 Maria KA 12-May-04 03:39
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 238 Cesar 11-May-04 22:23
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 193 Cesar 11-May-04 22:52
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 204 wirelessguru1 12-May-04 02:44
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 218 wirelessguru1 11-May-04 19:57
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 235 jestahley3 12-May-04 06:58
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 217 wirelessguru1 12-May-04 19:15
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 200 Osiris 26-May-04 22:10
Re: Venus Transit and the Golden Age? 303 Milo 26-May-04 23:26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.