Aquinas felt that the existence of God is neither self-evident nor beyond proof.
In the Summa Theologiae, he considered in great detail five rational
proofs for the existence of God. These are widely known as the quinquae viae, or the "Five Ways."
Concerning the nature of God, Aquinas found that the best approach, commonly called the via negativa, is to consider what God is not. This led him to propose five positive statements about the divine qualities:
1. God is simple, without composition of parts, such as body and soul, or matter and form.
2. God is perfect, lacking nothing. That is, God is distinguished from other beings on account of God's complete actuality.
3. God is infinite. That is, God is not finite in the ways that created beings are physically, intellectually, and emotionally limited. This infinity is to be distinguished from infinity of size and infinity of number.
4. God is immutable, incapable of change on the levels of God's essence and character.
5. God is one, without diversification within God's self. The unity of God is such that God's essence is the same as God's existence. In Aquinas's words, "in itself the proposition 'God exists' is necessarily true, for in it subject and predicate are the same."
|Aquinas proof of God in Five Ways||123||Citizen Attorney||22-Feb-07 01:41|
|Re: Aquinas proof of God in Five Ways||109||Ghia||22-Feb-07 02:14|
|Here are the Five Ways||92||Citizen Attorney||22-Feb-07 02:52|
|Re: Here are the Five Ways||90||Raja||22-Feb-07 21:14|
|Re: Here are the Five Ways||83||Avatar||13-Jul-07 20:46|
|Re: Here are the Five Ways||89||Raja||13-Jul-07 22:16|
|Re: Here are the Five Ways||77||Joyeuse||05-Mar-08 08:23|
|Physics proof of God in one way :)))))))||87||Astikapati||22-Feb-07 03:39|
|Re: Physics proof of God in one way :)))))))||50||Ghia||22-Feb-07 14:55|
|Re: Physics proof of God in one way :)))))))||99||Farseeker||22-Feb-07 22:27|
|Is the Universe digital? I'm not buying that.||77||come on pilgrim||23-Feb-07 01:17|
|Re: Aquinas proof of God in Five Ways||102||David L||22-Feb-07 21:34|
|Re: Aquinas proof of God in Five Ways||89||Farseeker||22-Feb-07 22:23|
|All Things Desire||82||Raja||04-Mar-08 21:30|