Inner Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions on all matters relating to personal development, religion, philosophy, psychology and so on. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
There has been numerous debates on James being the real and younger brother of Jesus.
I think this can not be!

If we step away from the New Testament (NT), which is heavily edited by the Church anyway, we can find the apocryphal texts like Nag Hammadi.
There we find; The (Second) Apocalypse of James.

Here we read:
This is the discourse that James the Just spoke in Jerusalem, which Mareim, one of the priests, wrote. He had told it to Theuda, the father of the Just One, (...)
[www.gnosis.org]

Now, if we also take:
"Once when I was sitting deliberating, he opened the door. That one whom you hated and persecuted < <he's talking about Jesus here>> came in to me. He said to me, "Hail, my brother; my brother, hail." As I raised my face to stare at him, (my) mother <<James'mother that is>> said to me, "Do not be frightened, my son, because he said 'My brother' to you (sg.). For you (pl.) were nourished with this same milk. Because of this he calls me "My mother". For he is not a stranger to us. He is your step-brother [...]."

And next take Jesus'words to James : "Your father is not my father. But my father has become a father to you." from the same text

There is almost no other way than to determine that James is at best (!) Jesus half brother. Otherwise the first paragraph would not have mentioned Theuda as the father of James, but Joseph ?!

Kindest :)
Nephil

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
James can not be the 'real' brother of Jesus 487 Nephil 12-Mar-04 01:47
Re: James can not be the 'real' brother of Jesus 159 Lee McGiffen 12-Mar-04 13:26
Re: James can not be the 'real' brother of Jesus 105 Nephil 12-Mar-04 15:46
Re: James can not be the 'real' brother of Jesus 150 Kboldt 12-Mar-04 16:57
Fictional literature 104 ananda 12-Mar-04 18:18
Re: Fictional literature 126 David L 12-Mar-04 18:50
Re: Fictional literature 147 Nephil 12-Mar-04 20:25
Re: Fictional literature 108 ananda 12-Mar-04 23:12
Re: Fictional literature 258 Nephil 12-Mar-04 23:39
In addtion.... 119 Kboldt 12-Mar-04 17:43
Re: James can not be the 'real' brother of Jesus 137 Cookiemonsters 12-Mar-04 20:43
Re: James can not be the 'real' brother of Jesus 129 Kboldt 12-Mar-04 20:59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.