Inner Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions on all matters relating to personal development, religion, philosophy, psychology and so on. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
From the article:

"Brain imaging research techniques such as PET scans (positron emission tomography) and fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) clearly show that the vast majority of the brain does not lie fallow. Indeed, although certain minor functions may use only a small part of the brain at one time, any sufficiently complex set of activities or thought patterns will indeed use many parts of the brain. Just as people don't use all of their muscle groups at one time, they also don't use all of their brain at once. For any given activity, such as eating, watching television, making love, or reading Skeptical Inquirer, you may use a few specific parts of your brain. Over the course of a whole day, however, just about all of the brain is used at one time or another."

I think that is correct. I don't know of any reputable study that claims that we only use 10% of our brain. People often repeat this as "fact" - but have no evidence to back up the 10% number.

I did hear a different variant on where the number came from, way way back many years ago from my high school physics teacher. He claimed that when behavioralism was in vogue, they took rats, scooped out parts of their brains - 10%, 10% more, 10% more, etc. And the rats could still eat, drink, and have sex with only 10% of their brain remaining (nothing on their quality of life, of course).

My suspicion is that his explanation is as much a myth as the myth itself, but who knows.....

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
CSICOP failes to disprove 10% use of brain 452 Rick M G 10-Mar-04 01:50
Link to google search 146 Rick M G 10-Mar-04 01:50
Re: CSICOP failes to disprove 10% use of brain 133 jameske 10-Mar-04 07:02
Re: CSICOP failes to disprove 10% use of brain 195 SunSword 10-Mar-04 19:28
Re: CSICOP failes to disprove 10% use of brain 113 lobo-hotei 10-Mar-04 21:21
Re: CSICOP failes to disprove 10% use of brain 156 SunSword 11-Mar-04 00:36
Re: CSICOP failes to disprove 10% use of brain 159 Caesar42 11-Mar-04 12:23
Re: CSICOP failes to disprove 10% use of brain 225 Aarooga 11-Mar-04 13:48

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.