Inner Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions on all matters relating to personal development, religion, philosophy, psychology and so on. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi all,

Here's an interesting, albeit stretched theory. Did the builders of the Giza plateau not only wish to represent the heavens, but also the structure of the spiritual realm in terms of the ancient Gnostic or some "proto-Gnostic" tradition?

Background
Quote:
"First, it is claimed the first principle is the solitary intellect, whose only function is to think and whose only posssible object of thought is itself, since it alone exists. But its act of thinking is objectified, and this thinking is the second principle.
Again, the first principle is a solitary eye, floating in a luminous reflective medium. Its only function is to look, and all it has to see is itself. The reflection that it sees is the second principle.
Finally, the first principle is a spring of water that flows perpetually. Its only function is to overflow, and that overflow is the second principle.
The second principle is called by the non-Greek name Barbelo..."
Paraphrasing to save time, this description of the spiritual realm goes on to describe the Barbelo as four luminaries Harmozel, Oroiael, Daueithai, and Eleleth as eternal realms of the second principle. As realms, the are the dwelling places of four archetypes: Geradamas (or Adamas), the heavenly Adam; Seth, the heavenly prototype of the son of Adam; the heavenly posterity of of Seth, prototypes of the Gnostic church on Earth; and a fourth group, whose identity varies from culture to culture. In addition, the Gnostic myth divides human history into four great epochs, according to their four corresponding luminaries and their four residential archetypes. The first three representing the first to ninth generations of humankind, while the fourth begins with Noah and extends to the end of the material universe.
- from The Gnostic Scriptures by Bently Layton

I was struck by the description of the first principle as a solitary eye, floating in a luminous reflective medium and the "overflow" - the four luminaries - in addition to the repeated representations things in fours. This became increasingly striking as I remembered it had been said that the GP was once covered in smooth, brilliant white limestone casing and possibly a gold cap. It was a small leap to imagine the gold cap with an eye engraved in it. It seemed to me that the GP, if it was gold capped with an engraved eye mounted on a brilliant white (luminous second principle) four sided structure extending in a geometric progression beyond the first principle, it would have made an excellent physical representation of the gnostic or some older pre-gnostic spiritual realm creation belief systems.
I also found it interesting the number of symbols still in existence today of an eye floating (usually in a triangle, Gnotics like things in trinity too!) - like the back of the US dollar bill.

Well, I thought either this was an interesting correlation or an indication of too much time on my hands! LOL

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Gnosticism in AE reflected in the GP? 421 Archietype 22-Feb-04 16:26
Re: Gnosticism in AE reflected in the GP? 246 Kboldt 24-Feb-04 16:42

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.