Inner Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions on all matters relating to personal development, religion, philosophy, psychology and so on. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi, Everybody:

A few days ago, Rob and others were discussing the nature of the Mexican NAGUAL, pronounced NagWAHL. Nahual is not its real pronunciation. Anglo-Americans have picked this up from uneducated Mexicans and allowed it to infiltrate into academia. I have done a lot of research about Naguales (NagWAHLehs) in my life and have even met people claiming personal experience with them. The NAGUAL and its companion TONA play a big part in the spiritual life of rural Mexican Indians and even that of some mestizo (mixed-blooded) Mexican peasants. These words, Nagual and Tona, furnish me with additional proof that many Mexican indigenous traditions and superstitions originated in ancient India. Here's just one of many other examples I have: TLASHKALLI is the Nahuatl word for tortilla. In Sanskrit, it means "the banging together of two cymbals." Well, that's how Mexican tortillas are made - a person bangs the masa (dough) between his open palms. Even the word TAMAL (a delicious type of Mexican corn cake with filling, enveloped in corn shucks or palm leaves, is from the west central coast of India and made in the same way. However, in the case of the Tamil tamal, it is made from rice dough and wrapped in bamboo shucks.

When an indigenous child is born in Mexico, its parents choose a certain animal or fowl to be its lifetime totem or guardian angel spirit. As a guardian angel spirit, its name is TONA. Sometimes the individual and its tona become so close that they become a were-animal or NAGUAL. In some cases, entire clans share the same tona. When I was living in Mexico, I read a story about an Otomi clan whose tona was a TLACUACHE (tlahCWAHcheh), the Nahuatl word for possom. The Otomis are a near pigmy tribe. Years ago, the Japanese ambassador to Mexico visited them and swore that their language is classical Japanese.

When I was in the teaching profession, my family (first wife and children) and I often spent the entire summer vacations in Acapulco. We stayed at the Hotel Jardín, now no longer existent, because it gave us a good, clean room with private bath and three square meals a day for just $300 monthly for the lot of us. That was cheaper than staying at home - and a lot more fun. The owner of the hotel was a retired COMISARIO (town marshal) of a small indigenous town near Mexico City. He told me that while he was marshal he once unknowingly arrested a nagual, putting him in his CALABOZO (jail). He said that while he was out making his rounds late one night, he found a strange man lying on the ground. He was dazed, scratched and bloodied. Part of his SERAPE (a blanket overcoat, just like an Afghan) was torn off. He helped the man to his feet and took him to the calabozo where he locked him in a cell.

A few minutes after locking up the stranger, a farmer came in the calabozo, telling a strange tale. He said that while he was driving his horse and wagon home, a huge black crow landed on his horse's head and started scratching it. The farmer got off his wagon and started beating the crow as hard as he could. "I even tore off part of his feathers. Look at this." He reached his hand in his pocket and pulled out - the missing part of the prisoner's serape!

It is a strange anomaly that in India, a NAG or NAGA was supposed to have a human face with serpent-like lower extremities, or it was a beautiful, seductive creature who could become a serpent whenever it so chose. BAL = "power; strength." Therefore, NAGBAL = "Serpent Power." The Nahuatl language has no "B" or "V." Therefore, the Aztecs had no choice but to pronounce it as NAGWAL. The Sanskrit word TANA means "offspring." These similarities cannot be overlooked.

I have often read discussions about what "serpent power" really is. This does not really mean something mystical. By comparing certain Amerindian myths and getting the Sanskrit meaning of CADUCEUS, I found out exactly what it is. It is nothing mystical. Sometime I'll explain it.

Gene D. Matlock

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Is the Mexican NAGUAL an India Import? 1157 gene douglas 13-Feb-04 04:57
Re: Is the Mexican NAGUAL an India Import? 190 fiascohoho 13-Feb-04 06:23
Re: Is the Mexican NAGUAL an India Import? 183 gene douglas 13-Feb-04 10:30
Re: Is the Mexican NAGUAL an India Import? 154 Hoppy 13-Feb-04 13:34
Re: Is the Mexican NAGUAL an India Import? 143 gene douglas 13-Feb-04 16:20
Re: Is the Mexican NAGUAL an India Import? 161 Hoppy 13-Feb-04 18:41
Re: Is the Mexican NAGUAL an India Import? 218 fiascohoho 13-Feb-04 19:30
Re: Is the Mexican NAGUAL an India Import? 221 fiascohoho 13-Feb-04 19:25
Re: Is the Mexican NAGUAL an India Import? 351 gene douglas 13-Feb-04 22:25
Wow! Great bit of synchronicity for me! 153 Sherman Peabody 13-Feb-04 22:41
Re: Wow! Great bit of synchronicity for me! 172 Hoppy 13-Feb-04 23:28
Re: Wow! Great bit of synchronicity for me! 218 gene douglas 14-Feb-04 01:24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.