Inner Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions on all matters relating to personal development, religion, philosophy, psychology and so on. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi Mark,

>>What was/is so irrevocably fatal about the "way" of the knowledge of good and evil?

Without posting up my entire book LOL, I will try to explain what I have discovered in my biblical research :

The following passage is relevent to my previous post (I will add it here to clarify things a bit):

What is not apparent is who this sorcerer is, what the ‘wisdom’is nor where he gets his knowledge. Another mystery is this tree; what is the knowledge of good and evil and what is the fruit thereof?

Genesis 3:2 And the woman said to the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
4 And the serpent said to the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat of it, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil.
6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit, and ate, and gave also to her husband with her; and he ate.

To answer the question, let us examine the whole picture. First, we have the garden:

The word used here is: gan gan
1) garden, enclosure
1a) enclosed garden
1a1) (fig. of a bride)
1b) garden (of plants)

This word gan is from an older root word: ganan gaw-nan’
1) to defend, cover, surround
1a) (Qal) to defend
1b) (Hiphil) to defend

From this we see that the garden is more like a defensive sort of covering and an enclosed place of protection than a horticultural paradise. In the ancient middle east, gardens were not as we know them today, they were in fact most often enclosures containing lush vegetation.

Secondly, the word translated as midst: tavek taw’-vek, comes from a root word meaning to sever. Elsewhere in the bible, the words used for middle or centre are different i.e. tiykown tee-kone’ which means middle and tabbuwr tab-boor which means centre. This word, sever, I will return to a little later.

Thirdly, the words eat and touch are important:

The word eat is ‘akal aw-kal’ meaning:
1) to eat, devour, burn up, feed
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to eat (human subject)
1a2) to eat, devour (of beasts and birds)
1a3) to devour, consume (of fire)
1a4) to devour, slay (of sword)
1a5) to devour, consume, destroy (inanimate subjects- ie, pestilence, drought)
1a6) to devour (of oppression)

So we see that this ‘eating’ has more to it than chewing and swallowing; the word used here can be likened to possessing. The other point to consider is that the mood used here indicates that in the process of the action (putting forth the hand to pick the fruit) there is an immediate consequence.

And the word touch is naga‘ naw-gah’ meaning:
1) to touch, reach, strike
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to touch
1a2) to strike
1a3) to reach, extend to
1a4) to be stricken
1a4a) stricken (participle)
Once again we see in the action of “reaching” (to reach for) immediate consequences.

................... then comes the bit about the trees................ and then:

Notice that the commandment was to not eat or touch the fruits of this particularly placed tree.

Genesis 3: 3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

The word fruit used here is: p@riy per-ee’
1) fruit
1a) fruit, produce (of the ground)
1b) fruit, offspring, children, progeny (of the womb)
1c) fruit (of actions) (fig.)

In other words the action of this tree was to sever ( due to it’s ‘placing’ or nature) and this would occur after consuming or touching it’s fruits. Perhaps an analogy would be useful here. Lets take a cosy log fire in the hearth as an example; it’s nature is to burn and blind, it’s fruits are warmth and light, but it would not burn one unless one actually touched it’s flames nor would it blind one unless one put a coal to ones eyes.

Now the particular tree we are looking at has as it’s fruits, the knowledge of good and evil which in itself are harmless until consumed or to put it more simply: the knowledge of good and evil were harmless until Adam and Eve devoured them and this knowledge became a part of them. In much the same way, laws have no effect on us except to protect us from harm until we become offenders of the law; once we break the law, we are under it’s punishment. To start off with we know the law, but only when we break it does it become truly active in our lives. The act of touching the fruit is like putting ones hand in the fire with the result that the hand gets burned and in that action of getting “burned”, is the experience of pain or evil. The hand might heal, but the experience would always remain in memory.

In these verses, good and evil simply mean:
towb tobe

1) good, pleasant, agreeable
1a) pleasant, agreeable (to the senses)
1b) pleasant (to the higher nature)
1c) good, excellent (of its kind)
1d) good, rich, valuable in estimation
1e) good, appropriate, becoming
1f) better (comparative)
1g) glad, happy, prosperous (of man’s sensuous nature)
1h) good understanding (of man’s intellectual nature)
1i) good, kind, benign
1j) good, right (ethical)

and ra‘ah
2) evil, distress, misery, injury, calamity
2a) evil, distress, adversity
2b) evil, injury, wrong
2c) evil (ethical)

At this stage, the concept of “sin” has not entered the story. God never said that it was a sin to eat the fruit, He said it would kill. In this story, doing evil simply means that Adam and Eve would inflict harm on themselves.
Now it might seem a good thing to be able to discern between good and evil and one might wonder what the problem with having this knowledge could be. So let us pull that sentence apart further:

Genesis3: 4 And the serpent said to the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat of it, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil.
6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit, and ate, and gave also to her husband with her; and he ate. {pleasant: Heb. a desire}

We see that the motivation here is to ‘be as God’ and be ‘wise’ by ‘knowing’. So what do these words tell us?

Knowing: yada‘ yaw-dah’
1) to know
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to know
1a1a) to know, learn to know
1a1b) to perceive
1a1c) to perceive and see, find out and discern
1a1d) to discriminate, distinguish
1a1e) to know by experience
1a1f) to recognise, admit, acknowledge, confess
1a1g) to consider
1a2) to know, be acquainted with
1a3) to know (a person carnally)
1a4) to know how, be skilful in

Adam and Eve would be skilled in good and evil; they would come to the knowledge of good and evil through personal experience. They would understand the nature of their actions and have to confess their motives, if only to themselves. Prior to having this ‘knowing’ neither good nor evil could have any hold over their minds since their wills were in perfect voluntary subjection to the will of God-they had broken no laws; they were not ashamed of their nakedness, although they were aware of it and had knowledge of it:

Genesis 2: 25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

The word naked as used here is:

06174 Mwre ‘arowm aw-rome’ or Mre ‘arom aw-rome’

from 06191 (in its original sense); TWOT-1588c; adj

AV-naked 16; 16

1) naked, bare

in it’s original sense is the word:

06191 Mre ‘aram aw-ram’

a primitive root; TWOT-1698; v

AV-subtilty 1, crafty 1, prudent 1, beware 1, very 1; 5

1) to be subtle, be shrewd, be crafty, beware, take crafty counsel, be prudent
1a) (Qal) to be crafty, be subtle
1b) (Hiphil) to be crafty, be or become shrewd

and interestingly this is the same characteristic ascribed to the serpent:

Genesis 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made.

06175 Mwre ‘aruwm aw-room’

pass. part. of 06191; TWOT-1698c; adj

AV-prudent 8, crafty 2, subtil 1; 11

1) subtle, shrewd, crafty, sly, sensible
1a) crafty
1b) shrewd, sensible, prudent

06191 Mre ‘aram aw-ram’

a primitive root; TWOT-1698; v

AV-subtilty 1, crafty 1, prudent 1, beware 1, very 1; 5

1) to be subtle, be shrewd, be crafty, beware, take crafty counsel, be prudent
1a) (Qal) to be crafty, be subtle
1b) (Hiphil) to be crafty, be or become shrewd

You will notice that the word translated as naked : Mwre ‘arowm aw-rome’ is identical to the word for subtil : Mwre ‘aruwm aw-room’ and has the same root meaning as the word translated as subtil (crafty,wise,etc). Adam and Eve already had the ‘wisdom’ of the ‘serpent’! So what was it that the tree of knowledge gave them, if not the same information that the ‘serpent’ had? I think it is something like the difference between learning something from a book, never having done it. A doctor who has performed surgery has a different knowledge of surgery from an intern who has all the textbook theory, but has never actually practised it. If we go back to the word

vxn nachash naw-khash’

a primitive root; TWOT-1348; v

AV-enchantment 4, divine 2, enchanter 1, indeed 1, certainly 1, learn by experience 1, diligently observe 1; 11

1) to practice divination, divine, observe signs, learn by experience, diligently observe, practice fortunetelling, take as an omen

we see that one of the meanings is to “learn by experience”.

Prior to their fall, Adam and Eve were not ashamed of the knowldege they had. After their fall from Grace, they hid from God; they were ashamed of their knowledge. Clearly it was not simply knowing, but actually doing that changed them. For the first time ever, their concience plagued them.

Could it be something like the feeling we have when we “hide” our true selves from the world? As civilisation advances, it seems that man becomes more “closed” to those around him. Compare for example the behaviour of children when contrasted with that of adults : children freely share their thoughts and feelings and are not ashamed of themselves, whereas adults generally “keep to themselves” with the result that much suspicion and mistrust abounds. Children have not experienced the difference between good and evil yet and so they remain uninhibited. In fact, even today, we teach our children the knowledge of good and evil as pertains to cultural morality. We place limitations on their freedom of behaviour by indoctrinating culture into them. A good example of this is the Hindu sacred cow. I am sure that it would never occur to a person naturally to worship a cow and that Hindu children have to be taught this “knowledge”. I do believe, however, that children inherintly know that certain behaviour is absolutely ( and I use that word in the strict definition of absolute) wrong. Certain things we just know and do not need to be taught like the fact that it is wrong to inflict pain upon another human being. Of course we do wrong all the time, but then we try to hide it sometimes even from ourselves. When discovered, we try to justify our wrongdoing so that we appear more righteous. Why do we do this? Instead of simply being themselves, adults tend to “put on an act” to impress those around them with the motive of being liked or esteemed in the eyes of their peers. Perhaps in a similar way, Adam and Eve wished to be esteemed of the serpent or those who were in the “garden” with them ( the bible gives no indication of who else, apart from the nachash, lived in the garden). Adults often ignore their conciences when they know that an action is wrong, and yet wish to perform it – in a way one could say the concience is seared and everytime one does this, the concience becomes more “hardened” and in the end can even be silenced resulting in total depravity. The desire is to do or have something absolutely wrong (and here I mean by absolute the case where your concience tells you it is wrong), but the desire itself doesn’t invoke feelings of guilt. Guilt only enters the equation once the wrong has been done. It is not guilt that warns us we are walking down the wrong path, but our concience.

So prior to consuming the fruit, Adam and Eve had knowledge, but it was a theoretic knolwege based on theory and not experience. You will remember the word yada for knowledge which meant more than just knowing, it meant experiencing and coming to a knowledge through experience. So Adam and Eve after the fall would experience evil and know it through their own actions. They would feel shame and guilt afterwards whereas before their fall, they had wisdom or knowledge and yet did not suffer for it.

What I believe is the following:
They had no subconcious promptings directed at self-concious judgement. In other words they simply were; Adam and Eve were totally concious and without a trace of subconcious guilt. Adam and Eve had never done evil and hence they had not ‘known’ evil or to put it in the serpents words “had knowledge of evil”.

Now this total conciousness might seem like something one tries to achieve through meditation and which some Yogi’s and the like claim to be Nirvanah and in a way it is, except for one small but violent difference: Adam and Eve had no subconcious to conquer and it is the subconcious that I believe to be the fruit of that “severing tree”. Adam and Eve had their minds severed and developed two minds: one rational and concious, the other irrational and subconcious.

The fruit of the tree

I believe two things happened when Adam and Eve were deceived, the second being a derivative of the first:

1)The fruit of the ‘tree’ was to literally sever their minds.

You will remember that the “fruit” means the result of a certain action something like: the fruit of putting your hand in a fire is burning. Where the fruit is burning and the agent is fire. In this case we have the tree as agent and what we saw was that the tree was like a closed door that due to it’s placing could “sever” something.

Prior to the fall, they were of one mind with God. After the fall they had knowledge of good AND evil. The evil came about because they ignored God’s warning and not because they broke a rule. The word evil means to do harm - Adam and Eve harmed themselves. The serpent deceived them. He had indeed promised them this knowing, but it was a curse, as the knowing came only through personal experience.

At this point I want to explore the concept of sin as expresssed in the Hebrew because it is common assumption that Adam and Eve “sinned” and this is what displeased God so much that He literally cursed them to death, but is this what the bible really says? What is sin? Why does it displease God? Why did Adam and Eve lose immortality?

Looking at the passage in question, we see that the word sin is not used at all. Rather, Adam and Eve “knew evil” in the way I have explained above. The first mention of the word sin is in
Genesis 4:7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And to thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

In a different translation we read:
Genesis 4:7 6 And Jehovah said to Cain, Why art thou angry, and why is thy countenance fallen?
7 If thou doest well, will not thy countenance look up with confidence? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door; and unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

What does all this mean? Looking at the second, more literal interpretation, it seems to say that when one does good, one can approach God with confidence and when one does not do good, “sin” is waiting at the “door”. Notice it says when one does “not well” – it doesn’t say when one sins or even when one does evil. Sin is a fruit of not doing well, it isn’t the action of doing evil. The passage carries on to say that “sin” desires the person who doesn’t do good and this person rules over sin. What could all this possbly mean? Lets take a look at the words to try and make more sense of this passage:

1)Sin

hajx chatta’ah khat-taw-aw’ or tajx chatta’th khat-tawth’

from 02398; TWOT-638e; n f

AV-sin 182, sin offering 116, punishment 3, purification for sin 2, purifying 1, sinful 1, sinner 1; 296

1) sin, sinful
2) sin, sin offering
2a) sin
2b) condition of sin, guilt of sin

ajx chata’ khaw-taw’

a primitive root; TWOT-638; v

AV-sin 188, purify 11, cleanse 8, sinner 8, committed 6, offended 4, blame 2, done 2, fault 1, harm 1, loss 1, miss 1, offender 1, purge 1, reconciliation 1, sinful 1, trespass 1; 238

1) to sin, miss, miss the way, go wrong, incur guilt, forfeit, purify from uncleanness
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to miss
1a2) to sin, miss the goal or path of right and duty
1a3) to incur guilt, incur penalty by sin, forfeit

What I see is that sin (guilt) is the result (fruits) of missing a goal (righteous confidence?). Sinning is: not doing what one should or straying from the right path. SIN DOES NOT MEAN DOING WRONG!!! I highlighted that because there is a widespread belief that to sin means to do wrong… that is not true. The whole idea of right being like “white” and wrong being like “black” is a very bad comparison; it should be: right is like white and wrong is like dirty white. In the bible this is well illustrated:

1Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
24 Let no man seek his own, but every man another’s wealth.

And in Isaiah 64 we see :
6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

These verses show that :
1) there is no such thing as wrong
2) there is only a perversion of right or an incorrect use of righteousness

So sinning is feeling guilt, it is NOT something one chooses or does, it is a consequence or fruit of waywardness. I like that word waywardness, because it is an english word that closely approximates the real meaning of wrongdoing. Biblically speaking, evil is doing harm and the greatest harm we can do to ourselves or anyone else for that matter is to walk away from God or cause another to do so. When we walk away from God (miss the goal of life or go out of the way of right) then we walk towards death because there is no life apart from God. The further away from God that we go, the harder it is to get back because of our guilt (sin). It is guilt that kills us, not our “wrong” actions. All of us have done things that make us cringe in retrospect (and if anyone reading this hasn’t, please e-mail me, I’d love to meet you!). It is that subconcious feeling of being stained by our iniquitous actions that makes us feel unworthy (and rightly so!) of being in God’s presence. The Law of God is to love Him and Him alone – not because He is a dictator, but rather because He knows that there is no life apart from Him. But we have been given freewill. God says to us: “You may do as you please, but know that if you do certain things, you will die as a result of your guilt”

The word iniquity:

hwe ‘avah aw-vaw’

a primitive root; TWOT-1577; v

AV-iniquity 4, perverse 2, perversely 2, perverted 2, amiss 1, turn 1, crooked 1, bowed down 1, troubled 1, wickedly 1, wrong 1; 17

1) to bend, twist, distort
1a) (Niphal) to be bent, be bowed down, be twisted, be perverted
1b) (Piel) to twist, distort
1c) (Hiphil) to do perversely

Now this is exactly what the nachash did: distort the truth. This is what deception is- distortion of truth. This is what wrongdoing is : innappropriate use of good things.

So did Adam and Eve “sin” then? Yes. What was their sin? Adam and Eve harmed themselves and in so doing felt guilt. How did they harm themselves? They opened the door for guilt. Why was God displeased? Adam and Eve took a “good” thing (the knowledge of good and evil, their “nakedness”) and perverted it to allow guilt into their minds when they chose to walk away from God by eating the fruit. How did they pervert their knowledge? Adam and Eve had all knowledge, they were “subtil” and yet they sought more; they wanted an excess and it was in the lie that more was to be had that Adam and Eve were snared. Then they hid from God. I believe this is what displeased God so much. I believe that God was grieved because He knew what the result of their disobedience would be. He knew that they were unable to deal with guilt. He knew that they would run away from Him.

When Adam and Eve ‘sinned’, they seperated themselves from God physically and mentally. They created a place in their minds where they sought to hide from God…they created the subconcious. Adam and Eve literally created hell (hell is simply a place devoid of God’s presence) They opened the door to Hades! They tried to hide the fact that they had sinned by ‘covering up’ their nakedness (knowledge); they compartmentalised their minds into two parts: one where God was allowed and one where God was shut out.

Adam and Eve harmed themselves by doing something that opened the door for guilt to occupy their thoughts. Many think that guilt comes from outside themselves. Well I think that is simply untrue. We don’t feel guilt because someone elses hurt makes us feel guilty – no, we feel guilt because we deep down know that we have not done right by that person. I mean, when someone feels hurt by our actions, sometimes they have not understood why we have acted. Sometimes our actions were well meaning and then we certainly don’t feel guilt. So it’s not the reaction of a hurt person that makes us feel guilt, if it were we would feel guilt no matter our motives in acting. But, since we only feel guilt when we have acted wrongly, the guilt must come from a knowledge of our impure motives and not from the reaction of the offended party.

Adam and Eve’s motives were impure. They weren’t after knowledge simply to be better humans. No! Adam and Eve wanted knowledge so that they could be “Gods”. And this is where the sting of sin is. One might consider “doing wrong”, but it is only after the act is done and it cannot be undone that we suffer the consequences. I say this, because it is clear that Eve never felt guilty before she “ate the fruit”; even after she questioned the serpent, we see no indication that she has felt guilt yet. So it is in the act of “opening that door” for the first time that all of humanity was cursed. A literal change of mind occured in Adam and Eve: the first humans metamorphosed from totally concious, self controlled individuals into double-minded, easily influenced people. Unfortunately this change could not be undone except on an individual basis and even then, the physical aspect would still remain and have to be constantly worked on; the rest of humankind would inherit this type of mind too. They could no longer approach God with a “lifted countenance” and instead of “atoning” for their sin they tried to hide it which, simply made matters worse.

The word atonement:

rpk kaphar kaw-far’

a primitive root; TWOT-1023,1024,1025,1026; v

AV-atonement 71, purge 7, reconciliation 4, reconcile 3, forgive 3, purge away 2, pacify 2, atonement...made 2, merciful 2, cleansed 1, disannulled 1, appease 1, put off 1, pardon 1

Atonement is the act of purging oneself of guilt and reconciling oneself to the “offended” party. It also means cleansing, which is literally what happens to our minds when we repent. All the dirt and rotteness is washed out of our minds when we ask forgiveness and no longer do we cringe at the memory of our iniquity, but rather feel great sorrow at having been “bad”. Adam and Eve, however, chose to keep their guilt and alienate themselves from God. God knew that this is what would happen.

No doubt this was the ‘serpents’ plan to destroy them: he hoped that they would try to hide their mistake, like a child tries to cover up a broken teacup by sweeping it under the carpet. Adam and Eve swept their sin into a place of refuge from God; a place that they created to replace the “garden” of refuge that God had made for them. No doubt God forgave them, but He was unable to undo the effect of the creation of the subconcious because He was not voluntarily allowed in. Had God intervened and invaded their minds, He would have denied Adam and Eve their freewill. He would have become a dictator.

To let God in is to expose all our weaknesses and most wicked thoughts and memories of shameful actions. It is to once again bare ourselves, becoming naked…and who can not be ashamed of what God must surely find there? That the subconcious is a place devoid of God, meant that God’s authority and hence man’s authority (it being purely delegated to him by God) over his own mind ceased to exist in the subconcious. This part of man’s mind escaped his own control to run rampant as tempter and acuser, as rebel against God, as tool of the serpent. Man allowed the serpent access to his mind because although God was locked out, sin/guilt was stored here. The serpent had access because he was the author of their iniquity, a partner in crime. The serpent is the accuser :

Revelations 12:

7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, who deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out upon the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, who accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives to the death.
12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down to you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Not only does the serpent deceive, he is also the one who stands before God day and night accusing. Now there is a difference between convicting and accusing. The word convict (biblically) means to bring a person in error into correction ie to set the person on the path of right once more. To accuse means to judge and require sentencing. The serpent requires God to sentence humans to eternal death, whereas the Holy Spirit (who convicts) turns the human back to God (the path of righteousness). The difference is subtle, but it can easily be discerned in the motives – what does the person laying the charge require? Does the person require penance or does the person require a change of heart- the former indicates judgement while the latter suggests a desire for genuine conviction. When God convicted Adam and Eve, He didn’t stike them dead on the spot (although it was perfectly within His right and power to do so), rather He “clothed” them and gave them laws whereby to live so that they wouldn’t fall prey to guilt again. The Law was given to protect them from falling prey to the accuser, not to condemn them to a life of misery. God knew that every time they “did wrong”. They would feel guilt and hide from Him, so He gave them a handbook for living that would prevent them from “doing wong”, thereby moving towards death. Before their fall, they had no need for the Law because they had not opened any doors that would allow guilt access to their minds. Once they had fallen, guilt had an open door into their minds and a permanent residence in their subconcious.

And this isn’t where it ends either… After Adam and Eve transgressed, they tried to shift the blame for their guilt: Adam accused Eve and she accused the serpent. Adam and Eve didn’t acknowledge that they had transgressed; they didn’t repent, but in turn accused. God convicted them and offered them a chance to repent; Adam and Eve chose judgement over mercy when they refused to acknowledge their iniquity. The wages of sin is death and Adam and Eve tried to pass judgement for their sins onto the serpent. This is how sin works. The guilty party (sinner) points a finger at his accomplice or at his accuser (Cain killed Abel through guilt; he couldn’t bear to face conviction so he accused his brother). The sole purpose for guilt is to condemn and pass judgement; this is why sin/guilt is the cause of death. No human is capable of perfect righteousness, but God is merciful and will forgive (dispel guilt) countless transgressions, provided the “sinner” requests forgiveness. When a person says:”I am sorry” and truly means what he says, then guilt dissappears.

So, what followed?

2)Adam and Eve lost authority over their own ‘flesh’

Prior to the fall, they had full authority over their “flesh”, but this authority was a delegated authority. Adam and Eve had not created themselves, God had. As long as their wills remained in subjection to God, they were His “delegates”. When they ceased to be God’s subjects by subjection to His will, they ceased to be His delegates and so lost that authority. No king or ruler will give a rebel a position of authority in his kingdom.

This might seem a small thing and something unlikely to cause death, but if we consider the full implications of losing concious authority over ones bodily functions in the absence of a subconcious controlling mechanism, it should be evident that the immediate result would be death. If you cannot breathe without telling your lungs to fill, then when your lungs no longer obey your command to inhale and exhale, you will surely die. This is an extreme supposition, but not an unlikely one. Fortunately, the fruit of the tree was the subconcious and so Adam and Eve lived on that day but would eventually die as a result of physical decay. The subconcious was a perverted version of the concious and although it saved them momentarily, Adam and Eve became subjects of the subconcious. Their whole lives became subject to not only the prompting of the subconcious on their flesh, but also in their minds.

Adam’s loss of authority over the earth ( creation) included loss of authority over his own body. Adam allowed the ‘enemy’ to entice him with false ‘information’ and he gave the ‘serpent’ a foothold in his mind (subconcious). Not only did Adam have to deal with guilt/sin, but he had to deal with subconcious promptings directed at iniquity. Adam’s subconcious controlling mechanism could prompt him to eat – even when he wasn’t hungry. It could make him desire to have sex with the giraffe. It could store up anger until consumed with rage Adam could kill. The serpent could whisper directly into Adam’s mind. Adam and Eve became slaves to their “flesh”.

Proverbs 5:22 His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be held with the cords of his sins.

Some questions remain :

Why did God not trust Adam enough to reveal the entire danger to him in the first place? Why didn’t God just tell Adam what would happen?

My answer is that Adam would have been unable to comprehend the consequences of his actions, much like a child is unable to believe that fire burns until he has actually touched it and after touching it and being burned, he is still unable to understand WHY it burns. The child has a choice: to accept in faith that the fire will burn or to experience for himself that the fire does burn. If he chooses faith, he still has the knowledge that it burns, but not the experience of burning and he remains unharmed by the fire.

You might then ask:

Why did God put the ‘tree’ there in the first place? Why place such a temptation before Adam and Eve.

This is actually the whole crux of the matter and one of the reasons for my writing this book. Questions like that arise from the false picture painted by the “traditional” transliteration of the Genesis story. Remember that the tree was not a tree nor was the garden a garden, nor was the fruit food. Remember that the tree is like a closed door, a protective object. It was placed there to keep harm away from Adam and Eve. In order for the protective place to be a refuge and not a prison, God gave Adam and Eve a key to unlock the door to the outside. Had He not, the ‘garden’ would have been a prison. He gave them the key to leave the place of protection, but it remained locked so that nothing could enter without their letting it in.

I believe that it is this very key that Christians hand over to Jesus when we choose to trust our redemption and salvation to Him. I believe that this key is the key to death and hell mentioned here:

Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

............ I hope that this is not too long or too much to read .....

Once again comment most welcome !

Blessings
Banah

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Questions about Truth 612 adequatedane 24-Jan-04 10:24
Re: Questions about Truth 126 Segestan 24-Jan-04 14:00
Re: Questions about Truth 118 adequatedane 25-Jan-04 08:38
Re: Questions about Truth 154 gene douglas 24-Jan-04 14:57
Re: Questions about Truth 125 Alex S 25-Jan-04 01:13
Re: Questions about Truth 120 gene douglas 25-Jan-04 04:04
Re: Questions about Truth 130 Alex S 26-Jan-04 01:18
Re: Questions about Truth 142 gene douglas 26-Jan-04 02:14
Re: Questions about Truth 128 Alex S 27-Jan-04 01:57
Re: Questions about Truth 118 gene douglas 27-Jan-04 09:44
Re: Questions about Truth 107 adequatedane 25-Jan-04 08:34
Re: Questions about Truth 134 adequatedane 25-Jan-04 08:42
Re: Questions about Truth 127 gene douglas 25-Jan-04 10:05
Re: Questions about Truth 128 adequatedane 25-Jan-04 11:21
Re: Questions about Truth 121 gene douglas 25-Jan-04 15:40
Re: Questions about Truth 132 gene douglas 25-Jan-04 16:14
Re: Questions about Truth 127 adequatedane 25-Jan-04 17:06
Re: Questions about Truth 114 gene douglas 25-Jan-04 21:51
Re: Questions about Truth 125 adequatedane 26-Jan-04 22:50
Re: Questions about Truth 118 David L 24-Jan-04 15:55
Re: Questions about Truth 107 newrisingsun 24-Jan-04 17:32
Re: Questions about Truth 126 RichardC 24-Jan-04 23:40
Re: Questions about Truth 145 David L 25-Jan-04 03:46
Re: Questions about Truth 118 RichardC 25-Jan-04 19:45
Re: Questions about Truth 126 David L 25-Jan-04 20:49
Re: Questions about Truth 141 adequatedane 25-Jan-04 09:37
Re: Questions about Truth 122 David L 25-Jan-04 17:31
Re: Questions about Truth 113 adequatedane 26-Jan-04 22:55
Re: Questions about Truth 134 adequatedane 28-Jan-04 23:04
Re: Questions about Truth 114 David L 28-Jan-04 23:28
Re: Questions about Truth 116 adequatedane 29-Jan-04 23:01
Re: Questions about Truth 124 wirelessguru1 29-Jan-04 23:26
Re: Questions about Truth 129 David L 30-Jan-04 03:24
Re: Questions about Truth 139 wirelessguru1 30-Jan-04 03:48
Re: Questions about Truth 146 David L 30-Jan-04 22:32
Re: Questions about Truth 116 wirelessguru1 31-Jan-04 00:30
Re: Questions about Truth 112 adequatedane 30-Jan-04 21:01
Re: Questions about Truth 129 David L 30-Jan-04 22:24
Re: Questions about Truth 116 banah 31-Jan-04 09:13
Re: Questions about Truth 120 David L 31-Jan-04 14:20
Re: Questions about Truth 142 banah 31-Jan-04 20:20
Re: Questions about Truth 128 David L 01-Feb-04 01:59
Jesus didn't say anything of the sort 115 Richard Fusniak 01-Feb-04 14:28
Re: Jesus didn't say anything of the sort 156 banah 01-Feb-04 17:21
Re: Questions about Truth 115 Zurg 03-Feb-04 08:12
Re: Questions about Truth 114 banah 04-Feb-04 10:58
Re: Questions about Truth 143 adequatedane 31-Jan-04 10:17
Re: Questions about Truth 128 banah 31-Jan-04 09:20
Re: Questions about Truth 139 David L 30-Jan-04 03:26
We don't live in a "true or false" world... 116 David L 30-Jan-04 03:30
Re: We don't live in a "true or false" world... 131 banah 31-Jan-04 09:27
Re: We don't live in a "true or false" world... 120 adequatedane 31-Jan-04 10:53
Re: We don't live in a "true or false" world... 115 David L 31-Jan-04 13:38
Re: We don't live in a "true or false" world... 120 banah 31-Jan-04 20:47
Re: Questions about Truth 102 RichardC 24-Jan-04 23:50
Re: Questions about Truth 140 adequatedane 25-Jan-04 09:48
Re: Questions about Truth 138 RichardC 25-Jan-04 19:49
Re: Questions about Truth 130 adequatedane 26-Jan-04 23:00
Re: Questions about Truth 150 RichardC 26-Jan-04 23:32
Re: Questions about Truth 144 banah 25-Jan-04 17:56
Re: Questions about Truth 119 adequatedane 26-Jan-04 23:24
No such thing 135 Nejc 25-Jan-04 23:13
Re: No such thing 136 adequatedane 26-Jan-04 23:40
Re: No such thing 119 Alex S 27-Jan-04 14:13
Re: No such thing 118 gene douglas 27-Jan-04 19:01
Re: Questions about Truth 134 Mark Staab 25-Jan-04 23:35
Re: Questions about Truth 122 adequatedane 27-Jan-04 00:15
Re: Questions about Truth 121 Mark Staab 27-Jan-04 02:00
Re: Questions about Truth 119 adequatedane 27-Jan-04 22:40
Re: Questions about Truth 135 banah 30-Jan-04 19:40
Re: Questions about Truth 114 Mark Staab 30-Jan-04 22:22
Re: Questions about Truth 125 banah 31-Jan-04 11:05
Re: Questions about Truth 160 Mark Staab 01-Feb-04 06:33
Re: Questions about Truth 152 banah 01-Feb-04 11:48
Re: Questions about Truth 124 adequatedane 01-Feb-04 16:06
Re: Questions about Truth 114 banah 01-Feb-04 17:25
Re: Questions about Truth 132 adequatedane 02-Feb-04 23:58
Re: Questions about Truth 135 banah 04-Feb-04 11:04
Re: Questions about Truth 124 adequatedane 05-Feb-04 22:26
Re: Questions about Truth 108 banah 07-Feb-04 13:19
Re: Questions about Truth 145 adequatedane 07-Feb-04 14:47
Re: ps 121 banah 01-Feb-04 17:29
Re: Questions about Truth 114 Mark Staab 01-Feb-04 23:42
Re: Questions about Truth 113 banah 04-Feb-04 11:07
Tree of knowledge is the kundalini shakti 141 David L 01-Feb-04 21:33
Re: Tree of knowledge is the kundalini shakti 140 Mark Staab 02-Feb-04 02:09
Re: Tree of knowledge is the kundalini shakti 162 David L 02-Feb-04 23:50
Re: Tree of knowledge is the kundalini shakti 121 Mark Staab 03-Feb-04 05:57
Re: Tree of knowledge is the kundalini shakti 158 David L 03-Feb-04 16:11
Regarding the Old Testament... 114 David L 03-Feb-04 16:19
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 128 banah 04-Feb-04 10:45
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 109 David L 04-Feb-04 13:49
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 127 Mark Staab 05-Feb-04 00:38
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 107 David L 05-Feb-04 01:07
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 138 banah 05-Feb-04 16:48
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 127 David L 05-Feb-04 19:51
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 124 wirelessguru1 06-Feb-04 00:50
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 146 David L 06-Feb-04 01:49
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 134 wirelessguru1 06-Feb-04 02:24
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 108 Anne-Marie 06-Feb-04 07:36
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 124 adequatedane 06-Feb-04 14:09
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 123 David L 06-Feb-04 18:37
Who speaks the truth... 136 wirelessguru1 07-Feb-04 01:37
Re: Who speaks the truth... 130 David L 07-Feb-04 06:12
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 128 banah 07-Feb-04 13:05
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 149 David L 07-Feb-04 15:49
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 125 Anne-Marie 06-Feb-04 07:22
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 114 wirelessguru1 07-Feb-04 02:28
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 132 Anne-Marie 07-Feb-04 08:19
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 111 banah 07-Feb-04 13:13
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 127 David L 07-Feb-04 16:17
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 126 Cesar 07-Feb-04 17:22
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 169 David L 07-Feb-04 17:48
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 122 Anne-Marie 07-Feb-04 19:59
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 129 David L 07-Feb-04 22:01
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 138 wirelessguru1 08-Feb-04 19:23
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 129 Anne-Marie 08-Feb-04 20:18
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 446 wirelessguru1 08-Feb-04 21:08
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 120 Cesar 08-Feb-04 18:31
Re: Regarding the Old Testament... 115 David L 08-Feb-04 19:15
Re: Questions about Truth 133 Caduceus 27-Jan-04 01:32
Re: Questions about Truth 136 adequatedane 27-Jan-04 22:49
Re: Questions about Truth 119 Caduceus 29-Jan-04 04:12
Re: Questions about Truth 139 xiang 27-Jan-04 03:16
Re: Questions about Truth 120 Caduceus 27-Jan-04 10:53
Re: Questions about Truth 129 wirelessguru1 27-Jan-04 17:49
Re: Questions about Truth 114 adequatedane 27-Jan-04 22:13
Re: Questions about Truth 126 wirelessguru1 27-Jan-04 22:28
Re: Questions about Truth 119 adequatedane 27-Jan-04 23:16
Re: Questions about Truth 153 wirelessguru1 28-Jan-04 00:04
Re: Questions about Truth 136 adequatedane 28-Jan-04 21:32
Re: Questions about Truth 135 xiang 28-Jan-04 01:50
Re: Questions about Truth 136 adequatedane 28-Jan-04 21:55
Re: Questions about Truth 131 wirelessguru1 27-Jan-04 07:57
Re: Questions about Truth 120 adequatedane 27-Jan-04 23:24
Re: Questions about Truth 111 wirelessguru1 28-Jan-04 00:24
Re: Questions about Truth 118 adequatedane 28-Jan-04 22:22
Re: Questions about Truth 106 wirelessguru1 29-Jan-04 01:03
Re: Questions about Truth 104 adequatedane 29-Jan-04 23:35
Re: Questions about Truth 119 wirelessguru1 29-Jan-04 23:56
Re: Questions about Truth 143 adequatedane 30-Jan-04 02:19
Re: Questions about Truth 123 wirelessguru1 30-Jan-04 03:15
Re: Questions about Truth 115 adequatedane 30-Jan-04 21:32
Re: Questions about Truth 133 wirelessguru1 31-Jan-04 01:04
Re: Questions about Truth 137 adequatedane 31-Jan-04 09:23
Re: Questions about Truth 117 wirelessguru1 31-Jan-04 19:33
Re: Questions about Truth 131 Zurg 30-Jan-04 13:19
Re: Questions about Truth 121 adequatedane 30-Jan-04 22:07
Re: Questions about Truth 127 Dominick Ohrbeck 30-Jan-04 21:39
Re: Questions about Truth 118 adequatedane 31-Jan-04 10:47
Re: Questions about Truth 118 Cesar 08-Feb-04 11:51

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.