Inner Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions on all matters relating to personal development, religion, philosophy, psychology and so on. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
> PB:
> -“At our most fundamental level, I believe,
> the individual essence/atman retains its
> uniqueness”.

>
> On several occasions I had the experience that,
> when I am in this place that I call “individual
> essence” or the place where “I am” and
> someone else is in that same place of his/her own,
> then there seems to be a coincidence of being.
> Essentially it then feels like being in the same
> place (which it is of course only from different
> directions) and that can bring about the unspoken
> sharing of knowledge and/or experiences.

PB - In my reading of this, I would say that my popping in earlier today, just at the time you were posting, is an example of what you say here. It's quite validating, imo, as the timing speaks so eloquently to the subject matter.

Although
> this is often labeled as “rare” or
> “uncommon” it seems to me that this is a
> normal function on another level of awareness.

PB Well said. Over the years I've noticed that when I get into this "zone", I often immediately presume that I am aligned with a different kind of cause and effect. It's a wonderful kind of certainty, and more often than not the "universe" speaks back to me. The message can come from any angle, as I bet you would agree.

> Two (or more) “uniquenesses” melting together
> into one Uniqueness?

PB - one could say that this description fits today's earlier coincidence.

>
> Thank you for the elaborate example you gave
> (funniest sentence: I didn't even like the Who!).
> To me it seems (based on my own early experiences)
> like an exercise in tasting the difference between
> “true” and “false” invitations (true
> meaning “genuine, authentic” and false meaning
> self-invented). But of course you are the only one
> who can really know that.

The results of this excursion proved to me that my hunch was absolutely true. And yes, it was funny that I didn't even like the Who. I certainly never would have spent that kind of money to see them during my college days, otherwise.

>
> If you speak of “Calling” and “Invitation”
> and “exercising the mystical response muscle”
> (words I like and understand) and I speak of
> exercising my intuition..
> distinguishing it from the human instinct function
> as a lot of similar manifestations come from
> there) then I wonder:
> is this just semantics, a different personal
> preference of expression or is this a different
> approach altogether? (I don’t think so, but I
> cannot put my finger on the difference that I
> feel.)
>

And neither do I. If I were a betting man, I would say that you're intuition is most likely my Calling.

As I said, in order for me to use the Big C, I have to see tangible results. My Who concert experience was truly seminal in this regard, but one of its most significant features, to me, had to do with the fact that I would be "Called" to a rock concert. This result convinced me that God can speak to us in an unlimited number of settings, for through this example God kicked open the church doors and basically said, How about going to the Kingdome!? Prior to this time I might likely have thought that God only speaks to us through churches, or similarly holy institutions, or only to monks and nuns, and the like. Could the same be true of a rock-n-roll star? The ONLY reason why I began to seriously consider that possibility, was because I believed that some sort of Godly force had been speaking to me, a run-of-the-mill college student from a town some 6 hours away from Seattle.

As far as a common template goes, I wonder if you can relate to my feelings in the aftermath of the concert. I definitely got validation, and then some, but not in the form I had envisioned going into the experience.

Over the years I've found this to be true, almost always if not always.

> At a very fundamental level I once learned, during
> a series of ayahuasca rituals laying beside a
> friend who was at that moment already dying from
> cancer: “this is mine and that is yours”. And
> though the example is particular the lesson is
> very useful in all kinds of “real-life”
> situations.
>

Sorry about your friend, but then again maybe that's not the right work relative to this experience? It sounds like a transcendent sharing? One day, perhaps, I will try ayahuasca. Too many fascinating testimonials to ignore. But I would want to go on a proper retreat. I'm sure you would know of good shamans, eh?

> -“ I see a very particular kind of reasoning
> involved in this form of action-taking.”

>
> Yes, I see what you mean and yet at the moment I
> could not elaborate on that.

PB - Sometimes keeping these things at arm's length is the best, Naveen.
>
> Finally, what strikes me, reading back a few of
> your last lines, (“with a mid-term exam that
> I had to be willing to get an F on, and I was a
> serious student who had never blown off a
> test”
) is that those directions coming from
> another level never ever seem to care about
> “worldly affairs”.
>
I agree. My feeling then, and now, is that the perceived "Invitation" required such "self" sacrifice. When the "Invitation" seems especially strong, I have found that this is often (although not always) true. What better way to bring to light the differences of the "human" self and the other part of us?!

There is a conflict between the "intuition" and the human preservation impulse. It may be rare that people act on the former, at least when it comes to questing for "spiritual" things under terms that require perceived self sacrifice. What's astonishing, is how the "world" reorganizes itself once the decision to follow the "intuitive" path is made - would you agree, Naveen?

Finally then, I might add that I made it back to town after the Who concert at 7 in the morning. I woke up just as we were pulling in the parking lot and realized that I had time to take my midterm exam after all, which was scheduled for 8am. After entering my apartment I showered up, walked across campus and took the test for the fun of it, figuring I'd received an F anyway, as I had blown the whole thing off. So what's there to lose?

To my surprise I wound up getting a B+. Had you asked the college sophomore then, upon seeing that score, he would have announced calmly that this was only the beginning of my journey down the path of Enlightenment.

Famous last words there.

As things turned out, I was nearing the end of this most remarkable phase. Whatever it was that came to me during that time, went away in the following weeks.

It was quite devastating, for someone who had presumed that the magic would go on forever. For months the "real" world seemed so stale by comparison, that I wondered if I would have been better off never having gone through this experience.

For months...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12-Apr-19 21:35 by Poster Boy.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 840 Eddie Larry 25-Mar-19 23:12
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 102 Susan Doris 26-Mar-19 05:57
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 89 Eddie Larry 26-Mar-19 19:18
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 97 Poster Boy 27-Mar-19 01:32
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 91 Eddie Larry 27-Mar-19 14:03
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 93 Poster Boy 27-Mar-19 16:21
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 89 Eddie Larry 27-Mar-19 16:46
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 86 Poster Boy 27-Mar-19 20:25
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 98 Naveen 27-Mar-19 21:51
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 91 Poster Boy 28-Mar-19 18:02
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 87 Naveen 28-Mar-19 21:04
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 95 Itatw70s 28-Mar-19 22:41
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 89 Poster Boy 29-Mar-19 15:39
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 89 Naveen 30-Mar-19 21:49
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 75 Poster Boy 04-Apr-19 03:34
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 83 Poster Boy 04-Apr-19 03:42
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 77 Naveen 04-Apr-19 20:38
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 79 Poster Boy 04-Apr-19 21:52
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 94 Naveen 05-Apr-19 20:41
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 80 Itatw70s 05-Apr-19 23:40
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 78 Poster Boy 06-Apr-19 02:49
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 80 Poster Boy 06-Apr-19 00:12
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 80 Poster Boy 06-Apr-19 23:24
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 78 Naveen 07-Apr-19 17:27
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 85 Naveen 08-Apr-19 21:11
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 81 Poster Boy 09-Apr-19 03:54
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 76 Poster Boy 10-Apr-19 17:01
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 72 Naveen 12-Apr-19 15:55
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 71 Poster Boy 12-Apr-19 15:57
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 70 Naveen 14-Apr-19 11:16
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 72 Poster Boy 12-Apr-19 21:20
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 70 Naveen 14-Apr-19 13:03
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 68 Poster Boy 14-Apr-19 17:04
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 73 Naveen 14-Apr-19 20:00
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 113 Poster Boy 15-Apr-19 01:11
Tai Chi ? 78 grangram 10-Apr-19 10:34
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 116 Vanya 26-Mar-19 08:22
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 105 Itatw70s 26-Mar-19 11:55
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 92 greengirl5 29-Mar-19 12:05
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 92 Itatw70s 30-Mar-19 00:56
Re: The transcendence of Aging, or is it immanent? 88 Eddie Larry 30-Mar-19 02:02
The dolphins understand 105 grangram 31-Mar-19 08:02
Re: The dolphins understand 101 Eddie Larry 31-Mar-19 14:26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.