Inner Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions on all matters relating to personal development, religion, philosophy, psychology and so on. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
(I pondered putting this in the Science board and thought better of it...maybe I should have due to its offering because a science-buff might grasp it...but then again, maybe a soul-searcher can grasp it better)

Standing on the ground and looking up to the night sky, a singular star is picked out which has been estimated at some 6 billion light years distant, and not really a star but a galaxy, and so distant it appears as a singular light. It is seen now when it is then. I’m going to go to it. Now. Faster than the light coming toward me.

There is a slight problem though: I am attached to what I am leaving and will be influenced by what I am going to...but I go anyway...and will see what happens.

The Milky Way Galaxy rotates with various arms curving out from its axis and our solar system is in one of these arms. With my destination ahead, I leave my location and that singular light becomes a line that, for all intensive purposes seems straight because it is straight ahead...but the further away from my location I go, the more I find the straight line is curved. My journey is going to last 3 minutes as I travel 6 billion light years, and what is now is not what is then.

Our solar system is one of so many that make up the galaxy we move within, the galaxy itself a slow rotation in its expansion about an axis...we seem like a microcosm in a macrocosm while our galaxy is a larger microcosm in a macrocosm...and everything is rotating and expanding about an axis and a central point of a Universe replete with upteen galaxies. The light-line I am travelling along toward a distant galaxy is heading into the past and I am not going toward where I first saw that galaxy before but where it was in the past...not straight ahead but closer and over to the left...a lot to the left.

I am still aiming straight but straight is curved and being in the light-stream I am in I cannot perceive this...if I raised myself above the entirety, I could see my origin and my destination in my moment of perception and perceive a curved line connecting the two...it has curved way to my left and around behind me and to my right and back in front and around and around again and again and again, a great spiral several extensions about my origin...and yet I am still going straight along a line of light extending to the distance from where I came from.

As I draw near to my destination and perceive the duality in my journey, I decide to go through it and beyond where the curve is more pronounced and the straight line is more-straight and the two-in-one takes me further and closer to a central point...the curved line is amazingly long and yet the straight distance is amazingly short...I am 13 billion light years into the past, 13 billion light years spiralled about my origin, 13 billion light years stretched out, and yet I am only a step away from where I began...and yet those 13 billion light years are not at all what they seem.

I have travelled some 13 billion light years in a straight line, and yet I have travelled some 100 billion light years in a curve, and I don’t know how the two are the same while I do know how they are exactly the same:

Space is straight; time is curved.

Why and how…

...is the expanse of our Universe so much larger than the time it has had to grow? Why is the edge of our Universe some 13 billion light years away from a centre point on the flat while only a couple of billion away up and down? Why is the entirety about 100 billion wide and round and mathematically so while perceptibly not so? And most importantly, why am I able to step across such an amazing distance and time-frame in just a few moments because faster-than-light-speed is possible to overcome?

Why is it possible that a thought can grasp the entirety of Existence as though it were a grain of sand in the palm of the hand?

And what kind of hand is holding it?

No-one expects a Spanish Inquisition

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 1028 drew 14-Feb-19 02:11
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 137 Itatw70s 14-Feb-19 22:35
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 124 drew 16-Feb-19 07:02
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 127 Itatw70s 17-Feb-19 00:16
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 125 Enigcom 17-Feb-19 12:43
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 142 Eddie Larry 15-Feb-19 04:56
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 136 Susan Doris 15-Feb-19 16:11
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 130 Itatw70s 15-Feb-19 16:20
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 133 drew 16-Feb-19 06:07
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 115 Eddie Larry 18-Feb-19 22:49
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 132 Enigcom 15-Feb-19 19:29
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 119 Eddie Larry 17-Feb-19 20:54
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 114 Itatw70s 17-Feb-19 21:48
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 122 Eddie Larry 17-Feb-19 22:07
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 116 Itatw70s 17-Feb-19 22:43
Scientists confronted with two paradoxes.... 122 Itatw70s 17-Feb-19 23:26
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 125 Enigcom 18-Feb-19 19:17
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 127 Itatw70s 19-Feb-19 01:24
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 119 drew 22-Feb-19 01:15
Re: The curve of time manifested in space...an imagined observation. 201 Eddie Larry 22-Feb-19 02:30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.