Inner Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions on all matters relating to personal development, religion, philosophy, psychology and so on. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Again - very interesting and I do not dispute any of what you say. I have in fact, just started reading this book which is very relevant.
However long it has taken for the reality of global warning to be accepted, in the end there will not be a statement that it is 100% fact, but however close they get to that, it will be based on objective evidence, not on any hearsay! And I think you will agree with that!

Susan



drrayeye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Susan,
>
> There is a grain of truth in your claim--but only
> a grain. The hypothetical/deductive method
> involving formal experimental and null hypotheses
> is unique to the sciences--but is rarely used in
> it's pure form. Seen historically, it often comes
> as a culmination of a great deal of foundational
> research which refines simple observations. Even
> then, certain requirements of the design may not
> be met.
>
> A good example is global warming. As early as the
> 18th century, there was speculation that the
> burning of wood, peat, and coal could cause the
> release of gases that could increase global
> temperature, but there weren't enough observations
> over the entire globe over a long enough period of
> time to really formally test that hypothesis. Two
> centuries later, we formed an international group
> called the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
> Change (IPCC) to carry out a global study
> measuring both temperature and CO2 concentration
> prospectively, and earlier temperature changes
> retrospectively--using data from tree ring samples
> and ice core samples. The retrospective data,
> imperfect as it was, clearly showed temperature
> cycles with a sharp upward trend in recent times.
> Using data from weather observation sites
> onground, buoys at sea, and satellites in space,
> we were finally able to present truly global
> measurements for the first time that verified the
> increases--including the sharp increase in recent
> years. At the same time, studies of CO2
> concentration showed similar increases.
>
> Unfortunately, there was no way to do a controlled
> experiment to test the hypothesis that the
> increases in CO2 caused the increases in
> temperature. Remember, that was the original
> hypothesis. Instead, we correlated the CO2 and
> temperature observations with each other and found
> an association that couldn't be explained by
> chance.
>
> So, it was "kind of" the scientific method you are
> talking about--if we just look at the most recent
> studies. But the approach was by no means the out
> of the box, step by step, process you describe.
> Worse yet, the final association documented fell
> short of the causal findings demanded by "the
> scientific method."
>
> Ray

Options: ReplyQuote


Subject Views Written By Posted
Methods 902 Susan Doris 16-Dec-18 12:35
Re: Methods 102 Eddie Larry 16-Dec-18 15:34
Re: Methods 94 Susan Doris 16-Dec-18 16:39
Re: Methods 97 Eddie Larry 16-Dec-18 18:15
Re: Methods 93 Itatw70s 16-Dec-18 23:59
Re: Methods 87 Susan Doris 17-Dec-18 06:29
Re: Methods 91 Eddie Larry 17-Dec-18 15:31
Re: Methods 90 drrayeye 17-Dec-18 08:08
Re: Methods 92 Susan Doris 17-Dec-18 08:37
Re: Methods 97 greengirl5 17-Dec-18 09:04
Re: Methods 90 Enigcom 17-Dec-18 12:13
An example 88 drrayeye 17-Dec-18 15:55
Re: An example 86 Susan Doris 17-Dec-18 17:20
Re: An example 96 Itatw70s 17-Dec-18 17:57
Re: An example 89 Susan Doris 18-Dec-18 07:59
If we accept academic standards, 89 drrayeye 18-Dec-18 13:28
Re: If we accept academic standards, 95 Susan Doris 18-Dec-18 15:19
Re: If we accept academic standards, 84 Eddie Larry 18-Dec-18 16:31
Re: If we accept academic standards, 86 Enigcom 18-Dec-18 17:17
Re: If we accept academic standards, 82 Susan Doris 18-Dec-18 18:35
Re: If we accept academic standards, 84 Susan Doris 18-Dec-18 18:31
Re: If we accept academic standards, 85 Eddie Larry 18-Dec-18 18:59
Re: If we accept academic standards, 85 Susan Doris 18-Dec-18 19:11
Re: If we accept academic standards, 83 Eddie Larry 18-Dec-18 19:56
Re: If we accept academic standards, 85 Itatw70s 18-Dec-18 21:58
Re: If we accept academic standards, 95 Susan Doris 19-Dec-18 07:12
Bee in the bonnet 97 greengirl5 19-Dec-18 07:45
Re: Bee in the bonnet 92 Susan Doris 19-Dec-18 08:10
Re: If we accept academic standards, 87 Susan Doris 19-Dec-18 06:33
Re: If we accept academic standards, 91 Eddie Larry 19-Dec-18 22:04
Re: If we accept academic standards, 73 Susan Doris 22-Dec-18 20:25
Re: If we accept academic standards, 75 Eddie Larry 22-Dec-18 20:42
Real world example of the scientific method 97 drrayeye 18-Dec-18 19:04
Re: Real world example of the scientific method 95 Susan Doris 18-Dec-18 19:27
Statements! 87 greengirl5 19-Dec-18 07:55
Re: If we accept academic standards, 66 drrayeye 27-Dec-18 09:42
Re: If we accept academic standards, 107 Susan Doris 27-Dec-18 13:32
Re: An example 96 Itatw70s 18-Dec-18 21:38
Re: An example 83 Susan Doris 19-Dec-18 07:16
Re: An example 85 Enigcom 18-Dec-18 17:14
Re: An example 91 Susan Doris 18-Dec-18 18:42
Re: An example 86 Itatw70s 18-Dec-18 22:07
Re: An example 87 Susan Doris 19-Dec-18 07:20
So, try to prove art 88 greengirl5 19-Dec-18 08:00
Re: So, try to prove art 93 Itatw70s 19-Dec-18 12:52
Re: So, try to prove art 82 Susan Doris 22-Dec-18 20:07
Re: So, try to prove art 80 Itatw70s 23-Dec-18 00:18
Re: So, try to prove art 70 Susan Doris 23-Dec-18 06:55
Re: An example 76 Enigcom 22-Dec-18 13:00
Re: An example 82 Susan Doris 22-Dec-18 20:18
Re: An example 81 greengirl5 22-Dec-18 21:15
Re: An example 86 Itatw70s 23-Dec-18 00:32
Re: An example 79 Susan Doris 23-Dec-18 09:33
Re: An example 81 Susan Doris 23-Dec-18 07:00
Communicate.... 72 Itatw70s 23-Dec-18 21:35
Re: An example 78 Enigcom 23-Dec-18 19:24
Re: An example 76 Susan Doris 24-Dec-18 06:27
Happy Christmas everybody, from Australia. 81 greengirl5 24-Dec-18 11:43
a Method for the Holidays 77 drrayeye 24-Dec-18 19:18
Re: a Method for the Holidays 76 Susan Doris 25-Dec-18 06:38


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.