Inner Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For discussions on all matters relating to personal development, religion, philosophy, psychology and so on. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
The Quantum Enigma - book just read

Why is this not under science?
Well, I suppose it could be, but since I will say a little bit about it, it might not be scientific enough, and I might have misunderstood something.
But I also think it is relevant on Inner Space, seeing how we have argued, quite a lot, about science and consciousness.

The book is written by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner, and to save you all time I have shown under here, who they are (were).

About Bruce Rosenblum
Bruce Rosenblum is Professor of Physics and former Chairperson of the Physics Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Fred Kuttner was a Lecturer
B.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
M.S., PhD UC Santa Cruz
MBA Santa Clara University
Office: 176 Natural Sciences II

He died in 2014.

Fred Kuttner continued: Research Interests
Interests have included statistical mechanics, microwave testing, and high-tech marketing. Current interests include the interpretation of quantum mechanics and physics education, including the development of an Applied Physics undergraduate major.

A resume about the book from a site called Research Gate:

In trying to understand the atom, physicists built quantum mechanics, the most successful theory in science and the basis of one-third of our economy. They found, to their embarrassment, that with their theory, physics encounters consciousness. Authors Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner explain all this in non-technical terms with help from some fanciful stories and anecdotes about the theory's developers. They present the quantum mystery honestly, emphasizing what is and what is not speculation. Quantum Enigma's description of the experimental quantum facts, and the quantum theory explaining them, is undisputed. Interpreting what it all means, however, is heatedly controversial. But every interpretation of quantum physics involves consciousness. Rosenblum and Kuttner therefore turn to exploring consciousness itself--and encounter quantum mechanics. Free will and anthropic principles become crucial issues, and the connection of consciousness with the cosmos suggested by some leading quantum cosmologists is mind-blowing. Readers are brought to a boundary where the particular expertise of physicists is no longer the only sure guide. They will find, instead, the facts and hints provided by quantum mechanics and the ability to speculate for themselves. In the few decades since the Bell's theorem experiments established the existence of entanglement (Einstein's "spooky action"), interest in the foundations, and the mysteries, of quantum mechanics has accelerated. In recent years, physicists, philosophers, computer engineers, and even biologists have expanded our realization of the significance of quantum phenomena. This second edition includes such advances. The authors have also drawn on many responses from readers and instructors to improve the clarity of the book's explanations.

Here is GG's take on the book.

It has every really big name in science of physics in it, and what they came up with and how they disagreed.

It tells how Einstein and Niels Bohr disagreed (but were friends) until they both died.
Bohr invented/discovered/formulated, not sure of the word - he was behind the "Copenhagen Interpretation" which is that something can be either a wave or a particle, but not really, just a possibility! What makes it whatever, only happens when it is observed. By whom? Haha, well, would that not be a human consciousness? It is discussed if a "thing" could also do the trick of observing.
Einstein did not like it and joked that he hoped the moon would still be there even if he did not look at it. He also did not like "spooky action at a distance" but, according to Copenhagen interpretation it does happen (GG and a heap or other non-scientists know this for a fact, not as a theory). Anyway, on the atomic level God does play dice, so I read! But back to that nothing is really "there" unless observed - what about big things, tables, us, the universe, which are all made up of "little things" - !!! The scientists are worried about this, it is not GG's silly idea.
The enigma seems to be that the quantum theory works wonderfully in practise, so does Newtons laws, so some smart alec told the physicists not to worry about the enigma, just calculate!
Gosh, it is a funny book, but very hard for me to follow in the details. It is very interesting though with all those famous scientists. What they have argued about.
All such big brains!
It seems that Newton's science is past it now, yes and no, just like quantum mechanics, it works fine with big things, but the trouble is fitting the cosmos with the atomic level, and there is a dawning that physicists have to take the bull by the horns and study consciousness, but that is very much shunned by them up till now, for various reasons.

Isn't all this what we have been discussing lately on Inner Space?

This book has all the scientific experiments leading to Quantum mechanics, which is what we use, all of us, every day, these days, but it is still an ENIGMA that can't be ignored forever.

Although well explained, the science part of it was a bit hard for me, but it does not matter. I got to find out what all the big names speculated on and the development of it all.

Niels Bohr got knighted and designed his own coat of arms with a prominent Yin and Yang in it.

I have better stop now. Gee, I am glad I read that book.

GG.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
The Quantum Enigma 1070 greengirl5 21-Nov-18 02:09
Re: The Quantum Enigma 143 Susan Doris 21-Nov-18 07:15
Re: The Quantum Enigma 144 drrayeye 21-Nov-18 11:44
Re: The Quantum Realm--video 143 Itatw70s 21-Nov-18 12:45
Great video! 132 drrayeye 21-Nov-18 17:16
Re: Great video! 131 Itatw70s 21-Nov-18 19:19
Re: The Quantum Enigma 126 Eddie Larry 22-Nov-18 00:01
Re: The Quantum Realm--video 127 Itatw70s 22-Nov-18 00:40
You may have had trouble with Bohm 131 drrayeye 22-Nov-18 07:42
Re: You may have had trouble with Bohm 128 Itatw70s 22-Nov-18 15:27
Re: You may have had trouble with Bohm 126 drrayeye 22-Nov-18 18:24
Re: You may have had trouble with Bohm 116 Itatw70s 22-Nov-18 20:56
Re: You may have had trouble with Bohm 115 greengirl5 22-Nov-18 21:03
Re: You may have had trouble with Bohm 118 greengirl5 22-Nov-18 20:59
Re: You may have had trouble with Bohm 118 Itatw70s 22-Nov-18 23:53
Re: You may have had trouble with Bohm 131 drrayeye 23-Nov-18 01:40
Re: You may have had trouble with Bohm 115 Itatw70s 24-Nov-18 20:03
Beyond camera analogy: hologram 117 drrayeye 24-Nov-18 20:55
Re: Beyond camera analogy: hologram 115 Enigcom 24-Nov-18 21:03
Re: Beyond camera analogy: hologram 123 Itatw70s 25-Nov-18 00:27
Re: Beyond camera analogy: hologram 115 drrayeye 25-Nov-18 05:12
"The light from the object is scattered directly onto the recording medium". 122 Itatw70s 25-Nov-18 07:33
Sleepless nights. 124 greengirl5 25-Nov-18 07:46
Re: Sleepless nights. 114 drrayeye 25-Nov-18 13:13
Re: "The light from the object is scattered directly onto the recording medium". 123 drrayeye 25-Nov-18 13:10
Re: "The light from the object is scattered directly onto the recording medium". 118 Itatw70s 25-Nov-18 16:08
Enthusiasme 116 greengirl5 25-Nov-18 22:10
Re: Enthusiasme 122 Itatw70s 25-Nov-18 23:22
Thanks 114 drrayeye 28-Nov-18 12:26
Re: Thanks 114 greengirl5 28-Nov-18 21:10
Re: Thanks 188 Itatw70s 29-Nov-18 00:43

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.