Science & Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For all that is Scientifically related to Cosmology and Space. (NB: Please take discussions about UFOs, possible Alien contact, Crop-Circles, Alien Abductions, Planet-X and Niburu to the ‘Paranormal and Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Lee, "At the same time [as Leucippus and Democritus] and earlier than them were the so-called Pythagoreans, who were interested in mathematics. They were the first to make mathematics prominent, and because this discipline constituted their education they thought that its principles were the principles of all things. Now, in the nature of things, numbers are the primay mathematical principles; they also imagined that they could percieve in numbers many analogues to things that are and that come into being (more analogues than fire and earth and water reveal) - such -and-such an attribute being soul and mind, due season another, and so on for pretty well everything else; moreover they saw that ratios and harmonies depend on numbers... they concluded that the whole Universe is harmony and number." Aristotle's Metaphysics.

I suggest that reality is not number rather we use number to help explicate reality (and it does help!!) But we use other elements, in addition to mathematics, for example ordinary language, to explicate reality.

But I look forward to your explication of Pythagorean method!

I don't see 'mysticism' as false or wrong-headed in essence. But what is the essence of mysticism? A most interesting topic!!

Happy Holidays!

Eddie Larry

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Before Pythagoras: The Culture of Old Babylonian Mathematics 1339 carolb 19-Dec-10 01:49
Re: Before Pythagoras: The Culture of Old Babylonian Mathematics 172 Sphinx 19-Dec-10 03:26
Re: Before Pythagoras: The Culture of Old Babylonian Mathematics 185 michael seabrook 20-Dec-10 13:27
Re: Before Pythagoras: The Culture of Old Babylonian Mathematics 173 Me 21-Dec-10 00:48
Unfotunately 174 Dave Light 21-Dec-10 14:51
Re: Before Pythagoras: The Culture of Old Babylonian Mathematics 181 Eddie Larry 22-Dec-10 02:56
Pythagoras: Valid. 194 Lee Burton 22-Dec-10 10:09
Re: Pythagoras: Valid. 171 Sirfiroth 22-Dec-10 16:49
Re: Pythagoras: Valid. 180 Eddie Larry 23-Dec-10 04:00
Re: Before Pythagoras: The Culture of Old Babylonian Mathematics 192 P Mac 23-Dec-10 23:39
Re: Before Pythagoras: The Culture of Old Babylonian Mathematics 169 Eddie Larry 24-Dec-10 03:15
Re: Before Pythagoras: The Culture of Old Babylonian Mathematics 228 SandyJesse 28-Sep-19 23:34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.