Science & Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For all that is Scientifically related to Cosmology and Space. (NB: Please take discussions about UFOs, possible Alien contact, Crop-Circles, Alien Abductions, Planet-X and Niburu to the ‘Paranormal and Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
jameske wrote:

> "Are the X-rays of Saturn similar to the Sun because it is scattering solar X-rays, or is Saturn producing X-rays in a similar way to the Sun itself. Is Saturn in some way star-like?"

Interesting thoughts.
(As the scientists are not too sure as to the causes of these x-rays, then we are free to speculate.)

I think that planetary lightning is one of the major causes of these X-ray emissions.

Last year a BBC NEWS bulletin published Friday, 31 January, 2003, 15:19 GMT wrote:

"Lightning does emit X-rays, scientists have confirmed.
A new study settles a long-standing debate dating back to 1925 when it was first suggested that thunderstorms might produce high-energy radiation."
"It's right before the visible stroke occurs - that appears to be when the energetic radiation is being produced"

It is known that huge mega-lightning bolts occur within the atmosphere of Jupiter.
Jupiter also emits X-rays (as does lightning.)

Briefly, I would suggest that Saturn also produces mega-lightning of this nature and that probably (for various reasons), this lightning is of a far greater intensity than that of Jupiter, hence the high emissions of x-rays.
(Perhaps Cassini might bear this out)

As T-Bird mentioned, the atmospheric windspeeds on Saturn are faster than those on Jupiter.
Further, the windspeeds on outer Neptune are the fastest in the solar system!

It makes some sort on sense to me, that the causes of mega-lightning on Saturn (and Jupiter), including high atmospheric windspeeds, originate from the "energies" existing within their local planetary environments.

The further out from the sun, the more intense the local environment becomes and the more energy that planet gains.

I would hazard a guess that the lightning occurring on Neptune would be almost planet-wide by comparison, because Neptune does undergo curious changes in albedo.

As to Saturn being "star-like"?
I would say that Saturn was ONCE star-like.

Cheers

Dio

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Saturn's X-rays 523 jameske 11-Mar-04 09:02
Re: Saturn's X-rays 148 OakeyDokey 11-Mar-04 10:06
Re: Saturn's X-rays 166 jameske 11-Mar-04 11:01
Re: Saturn's X-rays 155 OakeyDokey 11-Mar-04 13:33
Re: Saturn's X-rays 160 jameske 11-Mar-04 18:31
Re: Saturn's X-rays 160 Diomede 12-Mar-04 00:02
Re: Saturn ......Rockin and Rollin Baby! 187 Thunderbird 12-Mar-04 06:40
Re: Saturn ......Rockin and Rollin Baby! 142 jameske 12-Mar-04 07:05
Re: Saturn's X-rays 304 Diomede 12-Mar-04 17:51

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.