Science & Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For all that is Scientifically related to Cosmology and Space. (NB: Please take discussions about UFOs, possible Alien contact, Crop-Circles, Alien Abductions, Planet-X and Niburu to the ‘Paranormal and Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Ever stopped to think about the implications of Everett's Many Worlds Hypothesis? It is a boon to s-f writers, but in real world practical terms it throws up some insane notions. For a start we have a universe continually subdividing into near-identical versions of itself without expenditure of energy. Another oddity I considered is that according to the theory every possible set of events must happen, regardless of how unlikely. So in an alternate I will refer to as a Flukeworld by sheer fluke every time somebody says "Ninggly-wee" to another person they suffer a heart attack. This would be proven by experiment as every possible outcome is supposed to happen on some world. Equally on another Flukeworld normally accepted scientific devices such as say, a laser never work, by sheer unlucky fluke. Some Flukeworlds would have both features, scientific devices being proven wrong by experiment and magic words proven right by the same. Even our own universe is a Flukeworld to some extent as the settings of various Physical fundamental forces and constants required for stars and therefore life are so very precise, by sheer fluke according to the theory. Of course these Flukeworlds are in the minority, but there should be billions of them regardless, and must exist somewhere according to the theory.

Really Many Worlds is a get-out clause for any theory with an underlying improbability which requires some explanation but which is not forthcoming.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Flukeworld, or why i don't believe in Everett's Many Worlds Hypothesis 519 Me 26-Jun-19 19:39
Re: Flukeworld, or why i don't believe in Everett's Many Worlds Hypothesis 41 Race Jackson 26-Jun-19 20:25
Re: Flukeworld, or why i don't believe in Everett's Many Worlds Hypothesis 63 Me 26-Jun-19 23:08

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.