Science & Space :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For all that is Scientifically related to Cosmology and Space. (NB: Please take discussions about UFOs, possible Alien contact, Crop-Circles, Alien Abductions, Planet-X and Niburu to the ‘Paranormal and Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
[www.sciencedirect.com]
From the abstract;Background
The possibility of predicting random future events before any sensory clues by using human physiology as a dependent variable has been supported by the meta-analysis of Moss-bridge et al. (2012)1 and recent findings by Tressoldi et al. (2011 and 2013)2, 3 and Mossbridge et al. (2014)4 defined this phenomenon predictive anticipatory activity (PAA).
Aim of the study
From a theoretical point of view, one interesting question is whether PAA is related to the effective, real future presentation of these stimuli or whether it is related only to the probability of their presentation.
Methods
This hypothesis was tested with four experiments, two using heart rate and two using pupil dilation as dependent variables.
Results
In all four experiments, both a neutral stimulus and a potentially threatening stimulus were predicted 7–10% above chance, independently from whether the predicted threatening stimulus was presented or not.
Conclusion
These findings are discussed with reference to the “grandfather paradox,” and some candidate explanations for this phenomena are presented.
Italian researcher Tressoldi made an interesting variation on the type of subconscious predictive experiments or PAA more associated with Dean Radin. For reference to Radin's experiment see:
[www.deanradin.com]

In the standard experiment the subject was wired up to a heart monitor and a baseline taken. Heart rate is monitored as a computer randomised series of images are presented. Subjects reacted above chance expectations in correlation to the upcoming random image. The Tressoldi experiments made a few modifications, specifically he added an instruction to the computer to not display a provocative image if the subject's response predicted one. Oddly this did not affect the result, which was much the same as when the stimulus images were not pulled.
The abstract suggests that this could mean that the subjects are reacting to stimuli which is never given. This surely is impossible.

With only two experiments thus far run this may only be a statistical fluke, which is the easy answer. Tressoldi did make a few other variations such as having a set number of showings for both the stimulating and neutral images. If the participants knew this, which they seem not to have, they could have beaten the odds by counting how many of each image had been shown. This would have been fairly obvious in the results though if a well above expectation number of subjects predicted the last images shown, once all examples of one of the two pictures had been flashed. Radin's experiment in contrast was fully random to avoid this problem.

If the result is confirmed as neither fluke nor flaw and we have to accept it, what could it mean? In General Relativity the future is a location with it's own position, normally out of reach as we only consciously perceive a present. That would permit a retrocausal effect as Radin's experiments suggest. Tressoldi suggested that an indefinite future might explain his result, but if the future were unformed, nonexistent then it would not be possible to extract information from it. If the future were superpositioned or branching off into multiple alternates this still would not explain the result, as all possibilities would be available, giving a chance result. Also, the outcome of a stimulus image is impossible if predicted with the change in software which aborts a result of said image if a predicting response is noted.

The last explanation I can come up with is that the results come from a Psi interaction with the computer itself, the programme was about to instigate a stimulus picture until the further instruction to abort cut in, due to the predictive reaction. Before the main trial the subjects each had to do a trial run to test their reactions to the two pictures. Could this be an extreme form of Pavlovian reaction? A reaction triggered by no more than a register in a hard drive?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 1439 Me 24-Jun-19 20:39
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 86 Susan Doris 25-Jun-19 06:56
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 79 Me 25-Jun-19 11:51
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 68 D-Archer 25-Jun-19 12:47
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 65 Me 25-Jun-19 18:52
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 77 Susan Doris 26-Jun-19 07:20
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 69 cloister 26-Jun-19 08:24
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 65 D-Archer 26-Jun-19 09:50
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 60 cloister 26-Jun-19 14:31
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 64 D-Archer 27-Jun-19 10:20
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 68 ianw16 26-Jun-19 11:04
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 62 Me 26-Jun-19 12:14
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 65 cloister 26-Jun-19 14:00
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 62 Me 26-Jun-19 14:41
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 61 Susan Doris 27-Jun-19 11:12
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 69 Me 28-Jun-19 19:06
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 63 Susan Doris 29-Jun-19 05:36
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 59 Me 29-Jun-19 16:30
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 59 Susan Doris 29-Jun-19 17:28
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 67 Susan Doris 26-Jun-19 14:05
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 60 cloister 26-Jun-19 14:15
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 59 Me 26-Jun-19 12:08
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 61 Me 26-Jun-19 12:22
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 55 Susan Doris 26-Jun-19 14:22
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 59 Me 26-Jun-19 14:35
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 61 Susan Doris 27-Jun-19 11:15
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 53 drrayeye 29-Jun-19 12:44
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 56 Me 29-Jun-19 15:21
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 57 Susan Doris 29-Jun-19 15:53
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 61 Me 29-Jun-19 16:45
General concerns 73 drrayeye 29-Jun-19 22:33
Re: General concerns 56 Me 01-Jul-19 00:39
Re: General concerns 60 paxton 02-Jul-19 15:19
Re: General concerns 61 drrayeye 02-Jul-19 22:35
Re: General concerns 87 Me 12-Jul-19 16:03
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 61 Susan Doris 29-Jun-19 15:45
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 77 D-Archer 26-Jun-19 09:46
Re: Very curious experiment in unconscious prediction 76 Me 26-Jun-19 12:02

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.