Global Village :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For good-natured and mutually-respectful discussions of politics and current affairs. Soap-boxing and the promotion of extremist causes motivated by hate will not be tolerated by our moderators. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi Beez,
I can completely relate to the limitation of time to reading. Whether it be this post or other forms of information. Especially if ones interest are varied. Since the advent of the Internet it seems as tho all the Libraries of the World have been made available to one.

I also agree with you where you say " one key point is that for some thing to be considered scientifically credible, the papers should be published in peer-reviewed scientific journals in such a way that any researcher (ie. preferrably not an internal 'researcher' with a specific aganda) could duplicate the experiments and see if the same results are produced."

And this is precisely what has been acheived. As the attached informs, even giving a brief listing of some of the major journals of publication. All of the Independent research findings are available and housed in the M.U. University Library. Not to mention at the 200 independent Universities and research institutes in 30 countries which have done their own testing.

Needless to say the amount of information is massive.....not to mention "dry" reading to a layman such as I. Tho neurophysiologist, physicist, and the like seem to eat-up these graphs and measurments. :)

I do however, find this latest exploration of the fourth state of conciousness exciting and of great interest to me personally. Having a strong curiousity about just what is Enlightenment. And is there really such a thing? Does one have to "drop-out' of life and go sit in a cave to acheive? Struggle and suffer to attain? Can it really be 'real'.

Well you can see my own questions have been quite lengthy. With many answers along the way.

As for it being Religion, no it certainly doesn't fall into any of the established patterns we define as Religion. In fact a funny side note here is back in 1973 when I took TM along with several of my friends we were a little disappointed that it wasn't. We considered ourselves "seekers" so to speak and thought the path to Enlightment was suppose to be arrayed with mysterious doctrine, secret agendas, and altered lifestyles!

How ironic it seems to us now that we can have this opportunity to develope our own consciousness, well right in the comfort of our own home and without any change to the lifestyle of our choice. So much for dreams of wandering the Mountains of India in Samadi (bliss) :)))))))))

By the way, I took your tip from Louise's "Parallel Universe" post and went to BBC-Horizon. Tho I've yet to finish reading the article, I printed it off and hope to complete soon. How is your reading of Michio Kakus book coming? I love this ocean of bubbles idea. Seems comparable to what other scientist have called the foam level.......so facinating.

Best regards,
Pati

================================================
The Transcendental Meditation technique is scientific, requiring neither specific beliefs nor adoption of a particular lifestyle. The practice does not involve any effort or concentration. It is easy to learn and does not require any special ability. People of all ages, educational backgrounds, cultures, and religions in countries throughout the world practice the technique and enjoy its wide range of benefits.

Over 500 scientific research studies conducted during the past 25 years at more than 200 independent universities and research institutes in 30 countries have shown that the TM program benefits all areas of an individual's life: mind, body, behavior, and environment.
============================================

research has been published in such major scientific journals as Science, the American Journal of Physiology, Scientific American, Lancet, the Journal of Counseling Psychology, the International Journal of Neuroscience, the Journal of the Canadian Medical Association, the British Journal of Educational Psychology, and the Journal of Conflict Resolution.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
A Field Theory of Consciousness..#1 188 Astikapati 07-Jul-02 09:54
A Field Theory of Consciousness...#2..#1 133 Astikapati 07-Jul-02 10:00
Re: A Field Theory of Consciousness...#3(conclusion) 143 Astikapati 07-Jul-02 10:06
Exerpt from a book 68 Fuzzy 07-Jul-02 10:35
Fuzzy 70 Astikapati 07-Jul-02 13:02
This is not science 75 B L Zeebub 07-Jul-02 12:48
Zee, bub it looks like Science to me :)) 84 Astikapati 08-Jul-02 04:39
Scientific rigour 71 B L Zeebub 08-Jul-02 09:47
Re: Scientific rigour 63 Hoppy 08-Jul-02 11:47
Re: Scientific rigour 65 B L Zeebub 08-Jul-02 13:41
Re: Scientific rigour 64 mephisto 09-Jul-02 02:50
Re: Scientific rigour 85 B L Zeebub 13-Jul-02 12:25
Re: Scientific rigour 66 Hoppy 14-Jul-02 21:43
Re: Scientific rigour 51 B L Zeebub 14-Jul-02 22:30
Re: Scientific rigour 142 Astikapati 09-Jul-02 06:02

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.