Global Village :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For good-natured and mutually-respectful discussions of politics and current affairs. Soap-boxing and the promotion of extremist causes motivated by hate will not be tolerated by our moderators. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
"Is there any way of summarising the process they use to achieve this to someone who has realise a total of 5% of their brain and has the attention-span of a goldfish after a bad day in the bowl :-)"
AK
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hee,hee, how's life in the bowl? You crack me up Ahmed :))))))))

I assume the process you are referring to is T.M. so following is a general definition I found.
I'm also including (gotta keep up that loooong poster status :) an article of an interview with 2 of the Muslim students at the University which I ran across looking for you a definition.
Thought you might enjoy,
Pati

"Transcendental Meditation opens the awareness to the infinite reservoir of energy, creativity, and intelligence that lies deep within everyone."

"By enlivening this most basic level of life, Transcendental Meditation is that one simple procedure which can raise the life of every individual and every society to its full dignity, in which problems are absent and perfect health, happiness, and a rapid pace of progress are the natural features of life."

--Maharishi

The Transcendental Meditation (TMĀ®) technique is a simple, natural, effortless procedure practiced for 15-20 minutes in the morning and evening, while sitting comfortably with the eyes closed. During this technique, the individual's awareness settles down and experiences a unique state of restful alertness. As the body becomes deeply relaxed, the mind transcends all mental activity to experience the simplest form of awareness, Transcendental Consciousness, where consciousness is open to itself. This is the self-referral state of consciousness.

The experience of Transcendental Consciousness develops the individual's latent creative potential while dissolving accumulated stress and fatigue through the deep rest gained during the practice. This experience enlivens the individual's creativity, dynamism, orderliness, and organizing power, which result in increasing effectiveness and success in daily life.

The Transcendental Meditation technique is scientific, requiring neither specific beliefs nor adoption of a particular lifestyle. The practice does not involve any effort or concentration. It is easy to learn and does not require any special ability. People of all ages, educational backgrounds, cultures, and religions in countries throughout the world practice the technique and enjoy its wide range of benefits.

Over 500 scientific research studies conducted during the past 25 years at more than 200 independent universities and research institutes in 30 countries have shown that the TM program benefits all areas of an individual's life: mind, body, behavior, and environment.

The research findings include:

Increased happiness
Reduced stress
Increased intelligence
Increased creativity
Improved memory
Improved health
Reduced high blood pressure
Improved relationships
Increased energy
Reduced insomnia
Reversal of biological aging
Reduced crime and improved quality of life in society

The research has been published in such major scientific journals as Science, the American Journal of Physiology, Scientific American, Lancet, the Journal of Counseling Psychology, the International Journal of Neuroscience, the Journal of the Canadian Medical Association, the British Journal of Educational Psychology, and the Journal of Conflict Resolution.

Research indicates that TM technique Meditators on average have the biological age of a person 5 to 12 years younger, as well as significantly reduced incidence of illness and risk of heart disease. Studies also show that TM technique Meditators have warmer interpersonal relationships, less anxiety, increased self-esteem and self-confidence, increased problem-solving ability and greater creativity. The individual spontaneously radiates a purifying and nourishing influence of positivity and harmony in society as a whole.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online archives from the Ottumwa Courier. Starting October 1999
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 09, 2001
Muslims in Fairfield keep the faith

By JEAN GRECO, Fairfield bureau chief

FAIRFIELD - Friday is a holy day for the world's 1.4 billion Muslims.

Some of the 60 Muslims residing on the campus of Maharishi University of Management gather at 1 p.m. with rug mats in hand in a general meeting room, at this time set aside for prayers of the Koran and readings of interpretative literature.

Today's "preaching" is about character and personal development.

Contiguous with this structure where the dozen or so meet, is a dormitory where a number of the university's international students reside and the classrooms and offices where they tackle university projects and assignments.

Removing their shoes, the students - all male (women are permitted, but would take a place behind the men's group) - take a place facing northeast, for it is in this direction that the holy city of Mecca, deep in Arabia, would be found. Mecca, a major trading center in the Mideast, is where the prophet Mohammed was born and came to understand at the age of 40 that he was chosen by God to take a code for living to man. It is Mohammed that Muslims revere for the amount of persecution he endured at the hand of non-Muslims. He was by historical accounts a peaceful man and lived a life devoted to the word of Allah.

"For years he was tortured, yet he never retaliated," said Ayman Alsairati, a 29-year-old master's degree student at M.U.M.

Alsairati is among the faithful taking time to observe the Muslim Holy Day.

An Iman, or leader, puts his hands to each side of his face, and calls out rhythmically, prayers in Arabic. Standing behind him, the men drop to their knees, then mouths to ground and back up, each mouthing prayers to themselves. This is repeated numerous times.

"There is no correlation between those who would call themselves Islamic extremists and the Islam I know," Alsairati said. "Anyone who knows the Koran, knows that the killing of innocents or oneself are both mortal sins."

Alsairati said terrorist who would commit it in the name of a "Jihad," have some other ax to grind with the world and are wrapping their cause around religion to enhance the effect. He said 95 percent of the world's Islamic population does not believe in the Islam interpreted by extremists of the Taliban.

Coming from the island nation of Bahrain in the Persian Gulf, Alsairati like another M.U.M. student, Payman Salek, is in this country on a F-1 student visa since last September.

Alsairati said obtaining a visa is not difficult in Bahrain. The nation, 270 square miles in total, is the base of operations for the allied nations in the Gulf and is also home to the 5th Fleet. As such, Bahrain and its citizens are very westernized. Clad in a button down shirt, khakis and Doc Martin sandals, Alsairati has worked for ACI Insurance Co., whose base of operations is in Omaha. He has spent some time in Omaha and visited Washington, D.C., before landing in "the quietness" of Fairfield to study computer sciences toward getting his master's degree.

He possesses an excellent command of English, which he says he has been speaking for 20 years. It is the official business language of Bahrain.

Alsairati defines the events of Sept. 11 as tragic.

"I could not sleep. I felt the world was coming to an end," he said, "but this attack on America has nothing to do with my religion. That is not Islam."

Down the hall, 31-year-old computer science intern Payman Salek, takes time to explain how growing up Islamic in Tehran, Iran, left him with a different view of the U.S. He said his childhood was essentially non-eventful geopolitically until a revolution by various religious parties to overthrow the Shah of Iran in 1979.

A border war with neighboring Iraq erupted, and many Iranians blamed the U.S. for its support of Iraq. Iran was already falling upon hard times economically and socially because of U.S. sanctions, he said.

Exiled Islamic fundamentalist Ayatollah Khomeini returned to Iran. Khomeini made Islamic law the basis of the legal system in Iran and he was named "supreme religious guide for life." He remains today a symbol for challenging the western powers on third world policies.

Salek said most Iranians believe it is time to move on to develop good relationships with the rest of the world.

He said in a country such as Afghanistan he can see how the Taliban came into power. "That country has had so many problems and the Taliban says "we have come to save you" and the people, they would accept that easily but that is not the real Islam. What they are doing is an abuse of power," Salek said.

Having attended university in Tehran Polytechnic Institute as an undergraduate, at M.U.M. Salek is conducting his practical training towards a master's degree. He learned TM at a center in Tehran at age 18 and recognized an improvement in his grades thereafter, he says, attributable to the practice. Tehran is also where he learned that there was a university in the states devoted to the group practice of TM.  On the religion of Islam, Salek said, " I have my own culture," one where he strives to strike a balance between celebrating that religion, his studies, married life, and the group practice of TM, which he says can be used to create peace.

"I have seen in the past how the Maharishi effect has helped in troubled areas such as my country. The effect is true and I am trying to do my part to help what is happening now. I feel sad for wherever there is war, the poor people are the ones who will suffer," he said.

Both men are members of the campus Muslim Student Association.

Members break for daily prayers, sometimes five times a day, as well as for an extended session on Fridays which includes "preaching," as Alsairaiti said, "because it is our holy day."

side-bar

Islam is customarily defined in non-Islamic sources as the religion of those who follow the Prophet Mohammed. Adherents are called Muslims, or Moslems. They number about 1.4 billion worldwide.

The Arabic word "al-islam" means the act of committing oneself unreservedly to God and a Muslim is a person who makes this commitment.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Games We Play...PC's Wussery!!! 131 Orion von Koch 30-Jun-02 14:39
Coven of Bigotry... 71 J.Rafferty 01-Jul-02 00:36
Re: Coven of neglect...Look @your own evaluation... 88 Orion von Koch 01-Jul-02 14:09
Ahh, gee I miss those racist sexist MCarthyism days don't you? 91 Timothy 01-Jul-02 15:17
Re: Ahh, gee I miss those racist sexist MCarthyism days don't you? 114 calisurfer30 01-Jul-02 15:54
Re: Ahh, gee Informal Fallacy Once Again...Poor Soul 81 Orion von Koch 01-Jul-02 16:16
Re: Games We Play...PC's Wussery!!! 80 Billy 01-Jul-02 15:20
Re: Games We Play...PC's Wussery!!! 76 mephisto 01-Jul-02 16:05
Re: Games We Play...PC's Wussery!!! 91 Billy 01-Jul-02 16:16
Re: Games We Play...PC's Wussery!!! 74 mephisto 01-Jul-02 16:27
Re: Games We Play...PC's Wussery!!! 44 Billy 01-Jul-02 16:38
The Games we play indeed.... 81 Timothy 01-Jul-02 16:40
Re: The Games we play indeed....INDEED! 74 Orion von Koch 01-Jul-02 18:45
Re: New Educational Curriculum...Amplified Learning 59 Orion von Koch 01-Jul-02 19:14
Re: Games We Play...PC's Wussery!!! 86 Timothy 01-Jul-02 18:51
Re: Games We Play...PC's Wussery!!! 85 Orion von Koch 01-Jul-02 19:19
Re: Games We Play...PC's Wussery!!! 95 Timothy 01-Jul-02 21:16
Re: Games We Play...PC's Wussery!!! 86 Orion von Koch 01-Jul-02 22:50
Freudian slip? 84 Timothy 02-Jul-02 05:54
Re: Freudian slip? Only if you are Negative... 103 Orion von Koch 02-Jul-02 14:33
The Significance of Consciousness based Education 79 Astikapati 02-Jul-02 11:26
Educational System that Produces Superkids 99 Astikapati 02-Jul-02 11:34
Re: Educational System that Produces Superkids 75 Orion von Koch 02-Jul-02 14:39
Research on Cosmic Consciousness 128 Astikapati 02-Jul-02 21:23
Superconductors and Conscience for Pati 80 mephisto 03-Jul-02 16:32
Re: Superconductors and Conscience for All...& Michael 76 Orion von Koch 03-Jul-02 17:31
Michael 82 Astikapati 04-Jul-02 05:47
Re: Educational System that Produces Superkids 80 drak1 03-Jul-02 15:31
...da goldfish 84 Astikapati 04-Jul-02 06:18
Eh? 70 Timothy 02-Jul-02 14:37
$ Tim $ 86 Astikapati 02-Jul-02 21:40
Re: Pati & Tim More suggested reading 106 Orion von Koch 03-Jul-02 14:05
Re: Games We Play...PC's Wussery!!! 75 Timothy 02-Jul-02 21:46
Re: Better ED to co-opt...PC's Wussery!!! 53 Orion von Koch 03-Jul-02 14:27
Thanks for that Orion.... 71 Timothy 03-Jul-02 15:15
Re: Thanks for that Orion.... Welks... 88 Orion von Koch 03-Jul-02 15:23
Re: Thanks for that Orion.... Welks... 54 Orion von Koch 03-Jul-02 20:43

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.