History :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For the discussion of general and orthodox history from the advent of writing up to mid 20th Century, i.e. 3,200BC up to World War II. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hello Graham,

Your work over the decades on ancient civilizations has been amazing. Your findings and correlations connecting Megalithic structures around the world should be a platform of education in the American College classroom. I’ve been a student of the Atlantean Hypothesis for several years and have much respect for your work. With more evidence mounting, this perception of ancient history should be brought to the forefront of Academic Studies.

With that being said, I’ll get to the topic at hand. My name is Tanner, Im a 25 year old, American born white male, with a Bachelor’s in Political Science and Minor in History. Ive just recently finished your book America Before. The information and pictures of the Mound sites here in my backyard are truly astonishing. However in Ch 29, I was turned away for various reasons and confused in your using of the word “genocide” concerning the formation of the United States.

With the United States of America being formed in the year 1776, many events and intricacies took place before it was even possible for the Declaration of Independence. Concerning North America, especially in the East Coast involving French, English, and Dutch colonization, where the first colony of England was 1608 in Jamestown. First Dutch settlement, Fort Nassau built on the Hudson River in 1614. First successful French Settlement of Quebec founded in 1608. America was founded roughly 170 years after the first European settlement of these three powers (not concerning St Augustine FL founded by Spain in 1565). At the date of the United States formation, the colonies just barely stretched to the Appalachian Mountain Range. So my question is, When did this Genocide begin? And who exactly was responsible?

Now what happened in these 170 years? For we must not simply gloss over a century and a half of interaction between Native Americans and Europeans. A few major events in this time span include the American Fur Trade, The Beaver Wars, and the French and Indian War. Alliances, trade networks, and competition to control and prosper economically from pelts harvested in Northeast America and inland America was not only a motivation of Europeans but of Native American tribes as well. The Fur Trade played a leading role in relations between early colonists and Native Americans for well over 2 centuries. Lets not leave out the power of the Iroquois League and their role in the Beaver Wars, or how it came to be the Dutch founded New Netherland through relations with the Algonquin. Or the many Alliances formed by the Europeans with Native Americans to wage war on other Europeans or King Phillips War. A thorough study into these subjects is needed in order to understand the intricacies of trade networks and alliances of tribes and colonies which took place in early North America. If we seek to understand relations between early Europeans and Native Americas then lets not look over history and merely sum it up with the word “Genocide”. Be more specific. Did the powerful Tribes of Northeast America not also see benefits from trading fur with the White Man? How did these cultures live together for these first 150 years? Or how about the creation of the Metis people? Also, How many decades did Native American tribe’s dictate and control the Fur Trade while doing business with the white man?

A study of the 1600s in Northeast America may give much understanding to early relations between Europeans and Native Americans. I recommend this study to anyone who glosses over early American History and uses the term “Genocide”. For these people, including Graham must be more clear when using this word, because now I know not what it means. Not only does this “Genocide” perspective on the formation of the United States misrepresent early American History, but also propels a political movement and perpetuates the concept of “White Guilt”. My point is to be wary when using “Genocide” especially when speaking of a Nations Origin. Be more specific when referring to the 500+ years of cultural interaction between the Native American and White European. Understanding history is always more complicated than simply blaming one side over the other.

So then I ask to anyone who may disagree or agree, When did this “Genocide” start? What then does “Genocide” mean? Where did it take place? How long did it last? Is Spain looped into this “Genocide” of North America? Is Genocide different from War? Whats the difference between Genocide and Massacre?

Thanks,
Tanner

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Concerning "Genocide" in North America, a message to Graham 1241 conk10 18-Jul-19 22:38
Small Pox 40 Lost_In_Place 28-Aug-19 21:39
Re: Concerning "Genocide" in North America, a message to Graham 38 CJD1965 04-Sep-19 23:22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.