History :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For the discussion of general and orthodox history from the advent of writing up to mid 20th Century, i.e. 3,200BC up to World War II. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hey Sally!

Nice to hear from you again! Thank you for links!

The solar analemma can be mapped just as the text say, through a piece of black cloth. From a yurt type arrangements, all you have to do is pierce a hole in the felt at the same time every day for a year. You do not need to have a camera. So it can be done, my thinking was that the moon can be observed and mapped without trouble, the black cloth is used as prehistoric sunglasses.
The thing with soma what bothers me is that since the 60's westerners got high and tryed to find psychoactive properties even in places where there might be none. The mushroom cult is well attested in many cultures, used by lateral thinking shamans which was important to cultures that had many mysteries to explain, fears, emotions, natural occurances etc. And it is fine. With cannabis sativa is the case that the plant is not just psychoactive, but also a all around useful crop (foodstuff, source of oil, strongest longest fibre, building material, cellulose for paper and all around medicine) that these uses were equally valued or even valued more than the psychoactive property itself. (100 years ago 80% of all medicine and tinctures contained large doses of cannabis extract, we gave it to everyone, even children. The effect as a remedy was outweighed the pleasant sideeffects in all cases) So it is safe to say that we will select substances that further our exictence, give us a better overall health, provide us with nutrition or materials for housing/clothing/raw materials. If you read the shiva lingam theory of mine concerning colour/dye production, you find links to see how people used absolutely everything they have had available and figured out quite a lot of chemistry even in antiquity.
All I am saying, that we have to revisit Soma, and put aside a bit the interpretations, start new and include the cultural surroundings, interpret it through the silk route, from the dye producing industry's point of view. So What I do now, is just take the text of the mandalas and the references to Soma in Rig Veda, and the Soma can be interpreted as the produced dye stuff, the most expensive one extracted from murex. It is tedious, but I already found some sentences that confirm my suspicion. Without knowing the production process of these dyes, understand the ancient trade routes and industry, possibly I could develope similar theories, draw the wrong conclusion.
For example, if people would look at as 5000 years into the future, they would find some text ( a wide range of marketing, product describtions, all sort of lyrics) plenty of infrastructure and would look at the finds exluding oil/petrol based products. (wonder how would explain Dubai, for example without it:) So they would find oil rigs and pumps, and would say that because it was pumping something it must be a symbol of intercourse.

I am not responsable for what other people has written or thought about it, and no disrespect, they had there reason and circumstances to do that, but in light of new factors, it can be changed, their finds reinterpreted.

KR

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 3301 lostsheep 13-Jun-17 10:33
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 466 lostsheep 17-Jun-17 14:49
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 380 Deep1 19-Jun-17 18:44
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 364 lostsheep 20-Jun-17 10:17
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 320 lostsheep 20-Jun-17 10:22
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 351 lostsheep 20-Jun-17 10:24
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 344 lostsheep 20-Jun-17 10:26
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 439 lostsheep 20-Jun-17 10:48
Murex dye, Shiva lingam, Soma 395 lostsheep 29-Jun-17 18:48
Mod Note > Duplicate Topic Merged 314 Dr. Troglodyte 29-Jun-17 20:20
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 317 lostsheep 03-Jul-17 15:21
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 319 lostsheep 03-Jul-17 20:32
Soma, new proposed identity 708 lostsheep 24-Jun-17 12:51
Re: Soma, new proposed identity 278 lostsheep 03-Jul-17 16:26
Re: Soma, new proposed identity 278 lostsheep 03-Jul-17 16:40
Re: Soma, new proposed identity 273 lostsheep 04-Jul-17 20:53
Re: Soma, new proposed identity .. analemma of the sun. 307 SallyA 05-Jul-17 01:04
Re: Soma, new proposed identity .. analemma of the sun. 285 lostsheep 07-Jul-17 11:05
Re: Soma, new proposed identity .. analemma of the sun. 313 SallyA 08-Jul-17 01:08
Re: Soma, new proposed identity .. ethnogens and Hadronic physics 273 SallyA 08-Jul-17 04:24
Re: Soma, new proposed identity 259 lostsheep 08-Jul-17 11:18
Re: Soma, new proposed identity 251 lostsheep 08-Jul-17 12:42
Mod Note > Triplicate Topic Merged 655 Dr. Troglodyte 08-Jul-17 16:05

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.