History :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For the discussion of general and orthodox history from the advent of writing up to mid 20th Century, i.e. 3,200BC up to World War II. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi deep1! Nice to meet you. Well, I do not wanted to have, but you know, if its looks like a duck, it walks like a duck then it is a duck. :) I just had this bugging me for a while now.
Yes, lingam meaning a lot of things, stain, mark and male gender, but to have meaning as a dye is not an enormous leap. The debate on being a phallic symbol is on, I am not saying that it is not as well, considering the wealth and power that it brought, how does it look.
My point is, that Murex dye and Murex dyed goods were amazing value for millennias in antiquity. Just as gold, treasure. It involved a lot of labour, a lot of people whos income it provided, the people who picked them, smash them to make the dye, the people who provided the fabrics. Just see the effort we go to make vine or mine ore. A lot of people lot of effort and infrastructure. I am just saying, that we can understand old cultural accounts better, the dynamics of ancient world if we start including murex as a serious factor. Abrahamic tradition, looking for brt with gods and their offerings, worship make sense all of the sudden, smelly offering makes sense from Cain, the importance of mirh and frankincense makes sense(it was a stinky business, rotting shelfish so odour controll and cosmetics was a good supporting industry) The Hebrew history makes sense, like why as murex professionals expert dyers were taken by dynasties, reasons for exodus makes sense and the promised land too. The Vedic tradition and living customs makes sense, still alive, remnants of thousands of years of activity and routine becomes ritual. I do not want to, but thats what it tells me. Dont want to be repetative, but it would drive exploration for new murex sites, the native inhabitants included in a world wide trade, calendars thought and syncronised, technology shared, knowledge shared, populations had a chance to offer a product to the civilised world, inclusion. It was an important driving force and I do believe that we can find explanation to lots of religious and cultural reference.

So I do not want to assign utilitarian purpose to it, but it has. We do make things to use them. It makes more sense to have a very important tool and becomes irreverent, that later becomes else. To have a very strong industry what becomes obsolete but carries on as rituals.

Thank you again for your thoughts, I feel very alone and frustrated as I do not have anyone around me who like history, or would understand my references.
KR

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 3523 lostsheep 13-Jun-17 10:33
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 557 lostsheep 17-Jun-17 14:49
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 467 Deep1 19-Jun-17 18:44
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 461 lostsheep 20-Jun-17 10:17
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 409 lostsheep 20-Jun-17 10:22
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 443 lostsheep 20-Jun-17 10:24
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 435 lostsheep 20-Jun-17 10:26
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 543 lostsheep 20-Jun-17 10:48
Murex dye, Shiva lingam, Soma 504 lostsheep 29-Jun-17 18:48
Mod Note > Duplicate Topic Merged 402 Dr. Troglodyte 29-Jun-17 20:20
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 402 lostsheep 03-Jul-17 15:21
Re: Shiva Lingams Infrastructure for Murex dye production 403 lostsheep 03-Jul-17 20:32
Soma, new proposed identity 815 lostsheep 24-Jun-17 12:51
Re: Soma, new proposed identity 370 lostsheep 03-Jul-17 16:26
Re: Soma, new proposed identity 364 lostsheep 03-Jul-17 16:40
Re: Soma, new proposed identity 381 lostsheep 04-Jul-17 20:53
Re: Soma, new proposed identity .. analemma of the sun. 410 SallyA 05-Jul-17 01:04
Re: Soma, new proposed identity .. analemma of the sun. 384 lostsheep 07-Jul-17 11:05
Re: Soma, new proposed identity .. analemma of the sun. 422 SallyA 08-Jul-17 01:08
Re: Soma, new proposed identity .. ethnogens and Hadronic physics 364 SallyA 08-Jul-17 04:24
Re: Soma, new proposed identity 357 lostsheep 08-Jul-17 11:18
Re: Soma, new proposed identity 349 lostsheep 08-Jul-17 12:42
Mod Note > Triplicate Topic Merged 798 Dr. Troglodyte 08-Jul-17 16:05

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.