History :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For the discussion of general and orthodox history from the advent of writing up to mid 20th Century, i.e. 3,200BC up to World War II. 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Pete's post above says it all, really.

My experiences with the Church in Britain have been very pleasant (even though I'm not a Christian). It does have it's problems though. There's been a huge uproar over women and gay clergy, coupled with a recent injection of wild-eyed fundamentalism from the African side of the Anglican church. This is a big deal - the African fundamentalism is pretty incompatible with the generally progressive C of E that is entrenched in the UK, and it's causing rifts.

I think the most amusing development is the Pope reaching out to Anglicans who think the C of E is becoming way too wishy-washy:

[www.guardian.co.uk]

"A Church of England bishop says congregations will breathe a "sigh of relief" this week when hundreds of worshippers defect to the Roman Catholic church, potentially drawing a line under the schism over the ordination of women.
Up to 900 Anglicans, including 60 clergy, are preparing to be received into the Roman Catholic faith in special services during Holy Week.
The Right Rev Christopher Hill said congregations losing clergy or laity to the Personal Ordinariate, a Vatican initiative allowing Anglicans to convert while keeping elements of their spiritual heritage, would allow the church to move on after being "racked" by the issue of women priests.
Hill, who is the bishop of Guildford and chair of the Council of Christian Unity, said while there was sadness at congregations losing their clergy or co-worshippers – in some instances both – there was reason to be positive.

"Where a decision has been made then those who go will have a bigger agenda, as do those who stay. They can leave this issue alone. It has racked these congregations. It has absorbed a lot of energy. Where a church has had such an exodus, there will be a sigh of relief that a decision has been made."

The Vatican created the Ordinariate in October 2009, following requests for help from traditionalist Anglicans in Australia and the US – disagreement about women in the Church of England's priesthood has raged for decades. Uncertainty surrounding who and how many would take advantage of the papal offer has hung over some of the hundreds of parishes opposed to female clergy."

Best,

Andy

Post Edited (23-Apr-11 10:51)

Nobody talks more of free enterprise and competition and of the best man winning, than the man who inherited his father's store or farm. - C. Wright Mills

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Church of England 876 Citizen Attorney 10-Apr-11 02:23
Re: Church of England 256 Pete Vanderzwet 10-Apr-11 03:38
Re: Church of England 238 NetWorkAngel 10-Apr-11 05:04
Re: Church of England 296 brucenyc1 10-Apr-11 18:58
Re: Church of England 215 History-rewriter 18-Apr-11 14:10
Re: Church of England 223 Aine 11-Apr-11 17:53
Re: Church of England 257 Raja 11-Apr-11 19:58
Re: T Birds ancestry put Charles I to death 231 Thunderbird 12-Apr-11 04:21
Re: Church of England 213 Donna 20-Apr-11 16:19
Re: Church of England 454 Loki74 23-Apr-11 10:50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.