Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister

> on Ellison wrote:
>
> >Can't find one but I think I have demonstrated the principle
> >well enough.
>
> So it has not been demonstrated to work on a mirror-like
> polished surface as previously described.......
>
> >You seem to be suggesting that this method used on a
> >transparent/translucent surface
>
> You forgot to mention it's a mirror-like polished surface
> again...............
>
> Just how large of an area was being testing anyway?
>
> >Anyway Dunn also used the feeler gauge method which has
> nothing
> >to do with light, because he had a set of five dollar
> "feelers"
> >in his pocket.
>
> Ya can't wait until he re-does his "diamond can barely scratch
> granite" claim with a better than dull diamond scriber this
> time and amazingly gets the same result as the last
> time...............



Just tried the straight edge on a chromium mirror vs. an opaque surface, the back of the same mirror.
Anyone doubting this can do it themselves, pocket mirror and steel ruler.

The reflective surface gives an indication that the gap is slightly greater. NOT less.

Engineers have to deal with surfaces of varying reflectance.
Dunn is amply experienced enough to take this into account.

So therefore if what you say it true and the stone is translucent/reflective his measurements of planar deviation would be greater, not less.
If Dunn had only used the light and straight edge method his measurements would be over/greater. Not under/less.
In other words the surfaces would be even more accurate than Dunn claims.
Fortunately Dunn used other methods to corroborate.
Therefore unless he is lying. At present we have to accept his measurements.

A normal machine shop approach would be to identify undulations using the light and straight edge method. Once the areas are identified, either a DTI or feeler gauges would then be used. Which is exactly what Dunn did. He's a trained and experienced engineer
Coarse and fine measurement.



I don't know what your last paragraph means .



x

Options: ReplyQuote


Subject Views Written By Posted
Early Dynastic Technology. 480 Jon Ellison 02-Apr-15 09:19
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 274 Scott Creighton 02-Apr-15 09:38
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 512 Jon Ellison 02-Apr-15 09:49
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 234 charly 02-Apr-15 12:14
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 237 Origyptian 02-Apr-15 15:35
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 132 Jon Ellison 02-Apr-15 15:41
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 262 Skatha 04-Apr-15 15:36
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 220 Jon Ellison 04-Apr-15 15:44
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 265 Archae Solenhofen 04-Apr-15 16:30
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 237 Jon Ellison 04-Apr-15 16:48
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 279 Archae Solenhofen 04-Apr-15 17:11
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 236 Jon Ellison 04-Apr-15 17:18
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 181 Archae Solenhofen 04-Apr-15 17:40
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 236 Jon Ellison 04-Apr-15 18:03
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 197 Archae Solenhofen 04-Apr-15 18:37
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 223 Jon Ellison 04-Apr-15 19:12
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 270 Jon Ellison 02-Apr-15 15:58
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 231 OCaptain 04-Apr-15 19:30
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 184 Archae Solenhofen 04-Apr-15 21:14
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 249 cladking 02-Apr-15 15:39
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 230 Jon Ellison 02-Apr-15 15:45
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 254 cladking 02-Apr-15 16:12
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 225 Thanos5150 04-Apr-15 18:10
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 267 Jon Ellison 04-Apr-15 18:13
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 263 Thanos5150 04-Apr-15 19:11
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 275 cladking 04-Apr-15 19:11
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 244 Thanos5150 04-Apr-15 20:58
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 243 cladking 02-Apr-15 16:10
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 250 Jon Ellison 02-Apr-15 16:24
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 314 Origyptian 02-Apr-15 21:41
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 220 Jon Ellison 02-Apr-15 21:54
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 253 Origyptian 02-Apr-15 22:24
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 258 Jon Ellison 02-Apr-15 22:54
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 256 DScribr 04-Apr-15 19:49
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 274 Jon Ellison 04-Apr-15 19:58
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 217 DScribr 05-Apr-15 00:32
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 258 Jon Ellison 05-Apr-15 00:40
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 260 DScribr 05-Apr-15 16:55
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 261 Jon Ellison 05-Apr-15 17:18
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 247 DScribr 05-Apr-15 19:04
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 273 Jon Ellison 05-Apr-15 19:42
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 235 DScribr 06-Apr-15 06:07
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 291 MJT 05-Apr-15 20:04
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 259 Jon Ellison 05-Apr-15 21:05
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 287 DScribr 06-Apr-15 06:19
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 311 Jon Ellison 06-Apr-15 09:27
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 218 DScribr 06-Apr-15 06:02
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 261 Martin Stower 08-Apr-15 20:30
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 221 MJT 08-Apr-15 21:32
Re: Early Dynastic Technology can stand up to the speculators. 246 Martin Stower 08-Apr-15 23:40
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 207 Origyptian 05-Apr-15 06:06
Early Dynastic Technology Built Pyramids 274 DScribr 05-Apr-15 17:03
Re: Early Dynastic Technology Built Pyramids 251 Origyptian 06-Apr-15 04:57
Re: Early Dynastic Technology Built Pyramids....'growing evidence' 253 DScribr 06-Apr-15 06:32
Re: Early Dynastic Technology Built Pyramids....'growing evidence' 226 Origyptian 06-Apr-15 14:29
Re: Early Dynastic Technology Built Pyramids....'growing evidence' 301 Jon Ellison 06-Apr-15 14:38
Re: Early Dynastic Technology Built Pyramids....'growing evidence' 271 Origyptian 06-Apr-15 16:43
Re: Early Dynastic Technology Built Pyramids....'growing evidence' 272 Jon Ellison 06-Apr-15 16:51
Re: Early Dynastic Technology Built Pyramids....'growing evidence' 222 DScribr 06-Apr-15 14:55
Denial of the evidence... 238 Ratcho 06-Apr-15 15:31
Re: Denial of the evidence... 263 Jon Ellison 06-Apr-15 15:47
Sinister... 285 Ratcho 06-Apr-15 18:11
Re: Sinister... 244 Origyptian 06-Apr-15 18:20
Re: Sinister... 279 MJT 06-Apr-15 18:55
Re: Sinister... 233 Ratcho 06-Apr-15 19:49
Re: Sinister... 195 MJT 06-Apr-15 23:01
Re: Sinister... 281 Ratcho 07-Apr-15 00:13
Re: Sinister... 215 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 08:25
Re: Sinister... 241 MJT 07-Apr-15 11:26
Re: Sinister... 232 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 11:48
The lack of perfection... 267 Ratcho 08-Apr-15 07:28
Re: The lack of perfection... 252 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 10:26
Re: The lack of perfection... 267 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 12:13
Re: The lack of perfection... 241 MJT 08-Apr-15 14:19
Re: The lack of perfection... 175 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 14:24
Re: The lack of perfection... 208 Corpuscles 08-Apr-15 16:46
Re: The lack of perfection... 202 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 17:00
Not contributing to discussion 315 randompHactor 08-Apr-15 17:44
Re: Not contributing to discussion 182 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 17:45
Re: Not contributing to discussion 239 MJT 08-Apr-15 18:52
Re: Not contributing to discussion 249 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 19:13
Re: Not contributing to discussion 219 MJT 08-Apr-15 19:53
Re: Not contributing to discussion 237 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 20:07
Re: Not contributing to discussion 246 MJT 08-Apr-15 20:50
Re: Not contributing to discussion 236 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 20:52
Re: Not contributing to discussion 274 MJT 08-Apr-15 21:05
Re: Not contributing to discussion 252 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 21:12
Re: Not contributing to discussion 286 MJT 08-Apr-15 21:47
Re: Not contributing to discussion 222 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 23:25
Re: Not contributing to discussion 244 Jon Ellison 09-Apr-15 02:05
Re: The lack of perfection... 286 Corpuscles 08-Apr-15 17:46
Re: The lack of perfection... 238 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 18:09
Re: Sinister... 258 Frank D 07-Apr-15 10:43
Re: Sinister... 296 Ratcho 07-Apr-15 15:22
Re: Sinister... 201 Archae Solenhofen 07-Apr-15 16:31
Re: Sinister... 207 Origyptian 07-Apr-15 16:37
Re: Sinister... 323 Archae Solenhofen 07-Apr-15 17:14
Re: Sinister... 226 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 17:56
Re: Sinister... 251 Archae Solenhofen 07-Apr-15 18:21
Re: Sinister... 291 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 18:36
Re: Sinister... 296 Archae Solenhofen 07-Apr-15 19:01
Re: Sinister... 239 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 19:10
Re: Sinister... 252 Archae Solenhofen 07-Apr-15 19:42
Re: Sinister... 243 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 19:54
Re: Sinister... 271 Archae Solenhofen 07-Apr-15 20:22
Re: Sinister... 294 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 20:32
Re: Sinister... 231 Archae Solenhofen 07-Apr-15 20:46
Re: Sinister... 203 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 21:01
Re: Sinister... 293 Archae Solenhofen 07-Apr-15 21:31
Re: Sinister... 250 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 22:17
Re: Sinister... 175 Archae Solenhofen 07-Apr-15 22:57
Re: Sinister... 225 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 23:03
Re: Sinister... 207 Archae Solenhofen 08-Apr-15 00:43
Re: Sinister... 221 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 20:12
Re: Sinister... 211 Corpuscles 07-Apr-15 20:41
Re: Sinister... 222 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 18:26
Re: Sinister... 235 Archae Solenhofen 07-Apr-15 18:50
Re: Sinister... 246 Origyptian 07-Apr-15 23:23
Re: Sinister... 219 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 23:27
Re: Sinister... 198 Origyptian 07-Apr-15 23:38
Re: Sinister... 200 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 23:48
Re: Sinister... 156 MJT 08-Apr-15 11:43
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 244 MJT 04-Apr-15 20:43
Firemaking and associate technology 218 Skatha 02-Apr-15 16:22
Re: Firemaking and associate technology 277 Jon Ellison 02-Apr-15 16:27
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 208 OCaptain 04-Apr-15 18:52
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 186 Jon Ellison 04-Apr-15 19:08
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 225 Jon Ellison 04-Apr-15 19:36
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 242 Origyptian 05-Apr-15 05:57
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 199 drew 05-Apr-15 08:31
What to make of this...? 216 Ratcho 06-Apr-15 18:42
Re: again priceless!!! 255 charly 06-Apr-15 21:29
Debunking 223 Ratcho 07-Apr-15 15:15
Re: Debunking 214 charly 07-Apr-15 19:00
Re: priceless re-evaluation 248 DScribr 07-Apr-15 15:59
Re: priceless re-evaluation 260 charly 07-Apr-15 19:05
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 214 Jon Ellison 07-Apr-15 18:52
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 259 Archae Solenhofen 07-Apr-15 19:11
Re: Early Dynastic Technology.does anyone know of any limestone core drilling? 235 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 00:32
Re: Early Dynastic Technology.does anyone know of any limestone core drilling? 261 Origyptian 08-Apr-15 00:48
Re: Early Dynastic Technology.does anyone know of any limestone core drilling? 293 Jon Ellison 08-Apr-15 07:30
Re: Early Dynastic Technology. 204 Jon Ellison 09-Apr-15 12:44


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.