Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
I found these two old links that may be of interest to any looking for the more current information on the west flowing Nile.

Toufexis, Anastasia and Joseph Kane, The Sahara's Buried Rivers, TIME magazine, Dec. 6, 1982, time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,923112-1,00.html

Wilford, John Noble, Graves Found From Sahara's Green Period, New York Times, Aug. 14, 2008, nytimes.com/2008/08/15/science/15sahara.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss .

The satellite photos (I'm assuming they were using some kind of ground penetrating radar) discovered several old meanders of rivers beneath the sand and gravel of the Sahara. Science published an article on this in 1986. I'm not sure if the John Noble Wilford article presented any updated information or whether it merely resurrected old news as new, which is common practice these days in popular media. The links may not be accessible at present but they will give any interested a good place to start looking. The New York Times article may be behind a paywall by now but as I recall it made it to the GHMB newsdesk so maybe it is still available there.

During a cursory search I found that the current North flowing Nile dates back to the Miocene but that the Eonile, as it's called apparently formed a web of lakes connected by rivers around 23 million years ago. Needless to say, it's gone through a few changes since then. There has been a renewed interest in the Green Sahara in recent years, so there are probably some more recent books on the subject if you check around. Thomas Brophy, a previous AOM here might have some up to date info on the use of ground penetrating radar studies. From what I gathered, that is the only way to get at data on these old rivers now buried beneath dunes and gravel.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
The Nile 100 YvesLegault 29-Nov-13 21:42
Re: The Nile 46 David Campbell 30-Nov-13 04:59
Re: The Nile 71 Skatha 30-Nov-13 06:06
Re: The Nile 78 David Campbell 30-Nov-13 06:39
Re: The Nile 75 David Campbell 30-Nov-13 07:36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.